Maxwell over Mebane? Crazy Talk

motivated87

Reaction score
I just read a comment from one of the members.stating he would keep Maxwell over Mebane.
That makes no sense.this defense stops the run first. It makes everything else condensed.
Stop the run and make a team one dimensional. If Mebane Plays we win the Super bowl.

A stud DT is harder to find than a good CB.Pete develops CB's like turning water into wine.
What we need is another Mebane,Not get rid of him.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Could just boil down to being more confident in Jordan Hill than Tharold Simon.

Hyak

Reaction score
I think some are pointing to how the defense played really well after Mebane went down with Hill. That said, I agree with you that Mebane is valuable. I'd like to see a short term extension personally that would lower his cap number a bit and add a year or two - much like they did with Miller last offseason.

To me, loading up on the DL to get back to that awesome rotation is key, especially when it's inevitable that you have to beat good QB's to win it all.

I think Maxwell is gone. Someone will overpay IMO. If he's somehow out there after the first wave and wants to come back at a reasonable price so be it. I also happen to think that Lane can fill that role and that perhaps another offseason can help Simon.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I'd take Maxwell over Bane at this stage of their careers. I love Bane but his best days may be behind him and he's coming off a major injury, and Maxy is just starting his best years.

LTH

Reaction score
The problem is we dont know Mebanes's status.. How is his rehab going? does anyone know?

LTH

OP
OP
M

motivated87

Reaction score
I dont agree.If not Mebane.We need a big run stuffer in the rotation.But if Mawell is asking for Sherman type money,let him go. he can be replaced. We also need a back up Nickel corner.one who is as quick as Lane.But a little Bigger.Simon just doesn't have the short burst and quickness to handle smaller receivers.Neither does Sherm. G

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I think we have a chance to get maxi back. After WTIII didn't have the best year in NY, I think GMs may pause a little more before giving starter money to Maxi. Might view him as more of a system CB (a la system RBs or QBs out of college). He's almost exclusively been asked to play right corner here. Little bit of slot. No left corner. IMO, he get 4-5 mil/year elsewhere or he comes back here on a 2-3 mil a year deal.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't think we can keep Max but I would take him bane in a vacuum. Hill was playing fantastic football.

Northhawk

Reaction score
It comes down to how serious the injuries to Hill and Mebane are. While some have called Mebane old, he's only 30 and still in his prime.

But if there is a possibility he or Hill may get reinjured or be a shell of their former self then we need the other. If both are healthy then I'd be okay with letting Mebane go if it helps sign Maxwell.

I say this even though I have always loved Mebane.

netskier

Reaction score
Muscle injuries almost always heal up fine given time to heal. Mebane was the starter when everyone was healthy, and a leader.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I'm for keeping Bane, unless a miracle in the draft lands in our lap.

ManBunts

Reaction score
i don't think Bane's best years are behind him. And Hill is not a replacement. Finish super solid, very excited for his future, but his risk of injury is to great, and Kevin Williams may very well retire. We have decent corners to replace Maxi, they may get better, but there are few better than Bane in the trenches.

McGruff

Reaction score
Mebane was not only one of our best players, he's also a quiet, stabilizing leader. And he plays a position where we were playing Cohen, Dobbs and Tokuafu in the Superbowl . . . three guys that weren't even in the league on opening day!

That being said, some of the same things were said last year about Red and Clem, and we saw what happened there.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
jdemps":hqtp60t3 said:
I think we have a chance to get maxi back. After WTIII didn't have the best year in NY, I think GMs may pause a little more before giving starter money to Maxi. Might view him as more of a system CB (a la system RBs or QBs out of college). He's almost exclusively been asked to play right corner here. Little bit of slot. No left corner. IMO, he get 4-5 mil/year elsewhere or he comes back here on a 2-3 mil a year deal.

This doesn't make any sense. It's not like Thurmond played poorly in NY, he just got hurt in week 2. Thurmond was always injury prone, but he had far too small of a sample size in NY to be called a system CB.

getnasty

Reaction score
motivated87":1plhdbmc said:
I just read a comment from one of the members.stating he would keep Maxwell over Mebane.
That makes no sense.this defense stops the run first. It makes everything else condensed.
Stop the run and make a team one dimensional. If Mebane Plays we win the Super bowl.

A stud DT is harder to find than a good CB.Pete develops CB's like turning water into wine.
What we need is another Mebane,Not get rid of him.

I was one that said i'd rather have Maxwell and it's not even close. Not sure how Mebane gets us the Superbowl win, it's not like the like the Pats did anything in the run game, and Bane isn't a pass rusher. This team didn't miss a beat once Mebane went down, if fact they got better. People aren't going to throw at Sherman which means the rest of our secondary are going to get a ton of look, think if we have a weak link in the secondary. Maxwell is also only gonna get better, not sure you can say the same for Mebane. Even if we don't sign Maxwell i wouldn't be shocked if Mebane isn't back.

netskier

Reaction score
I think we likely return to the Superbowl without Methane, but he adds a lot of value stuffing the runs, thereby removing the load from other players, by keeping them fresher and lessening their chance of injuries. Depth wins. Maxwell has already said that he will do what is best for his family, so he is looking for the money. Keep him if you can for estimated value.

netskier

Reaction score
Typo. Heh. Using methane might violate the Geneva Convention, but Mebane would be legal.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You can't just swap Maxwell for Mebane. Even if their per-year salaries evened out (which I doubt), re-signing Maxwell is going to require a longterm commitment which will affect the team's ability to retain and acquire other players down the road. Mebane is on a year-to-year deal that the team can move on from or restructure with ease. You have to remember that Russell Wilson's cap hits are going to start trending up after Year 1, so the challenge is not just getting these guys under the cap for one year.

Exittium

Reaction score
Im going to go against the grain and prob get burned for this but, keep maxi bye bye okung and carp? i like okung, i dont like his penalties and this yr and last, he's had a a lot and has has been very injury prone its seems. And carp.. dudes there sometimes other times not so much.