Bevell wanted to be the hero any QB could make that throw...

Tokadub

Reaction score
Bevell wanted to be the hero with that play call. Bevell gets a lot of flack from our fan base and I believe he deserves it, it wasn't just this one play that makes people scratch their heads he does this on a regular basis... but I'll save that for another thread or another day.

Bevell would of been praised if that play worked and most people would of been right on board with that. But for the Bevell critics like myself we still would of wondered why would you throw the ball into such a risky area of the field against arguably the best coaching staff/well prepared team in the league? Clearly the Patriots would be ready for that play and if you just look at the pre-snap formation it's pretty obvious what we were going to do even if you didn't scout for it...

That play not only threw the ball into the most dangerous area of the field (which created all kinds of interception possibilities even if Butler didn't make such a great play), but the play completely negated Wilson's exceptional ability to make good decisions and improvise.

Honestly, you could of had a High School quarterback execute that play the exact same way that Wilson did... why would you put the game on the line with such a "simple but clever" play which any QB could execute just as well as Wilson? That play was completely ignoring how well Wilson can scramble, read the defense on the run and make the correct choice effortlessly to straight up embarrass even the best defenses.

And then you add in the fact that Lockette wasn't even coached properly for this situation, he should of taken a jab step to the right... if Butler had even a moment of hesitation or leaned the wrong way the play probably would of worked even though it was still risky (and a bad call)... even if Butler never touched Lockette he was surrounded by like 7 defenders anything could happen. Alternatively if Lockette wasn't going to use a jab step fake he could of started the route identically waiting for Butler to react and then cut back to the right side of the field (Butler would of been squarely blocked off by both Kearse AND Browner) he would of been wide open with no defenders in the area... THAT would of been a better pass play because there would of been no defenders in the area and there would be no film on it.

It seems like this boils down to Bevell trying to win the Superbowl for himself and never putting our players in position to do what they always do find a way to win... Bevell called the one play that gave no chance for Wilson or Lynch to shine and play intelligently... that play was ENTIRELY about the Offensive Coordinator not the players... he was selfish and wanted all the praise for himself.

That's just my opinion... but there's a lot of conspiracy theories floating around. Even though I don't agree with throwing the ball at all in this situation... if you were going to do it then I think this process of thought can really explain the horrible call more so than any other theory. It's human nature to want praise and acceptance so in a way you gotta feel bad for Bevell because this back fired so horrendously... but because Bevell has a long history of calling low percentage plays in the most precarious situations he gets no pass from me and I really hope that he gets fired.

seabowl

Reaction score
They saw goal line D for the Pats and tried to outsmart them and it didn't work. Right before the play you could see Baldwin, Lynch, etc.. were lost and didn't know what to do or where to be. and we just weren't ready to execute a play. Belicheck not calling a TO also made things go out of whack too. Just a complete mess but IMO had zero to do with Bevell's ego.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
seabowl":3d6fsp9t said:
IMO had zero to do with Bevell's ego.

Then why call the one play that completely eliminates both Wilson and Lynch from making an elite play which is what has carried our Offense for years? Bevell called a play that any ordinary QB could execute, a play that is polar opposite to the strengths of Wilson and our Offense as a whole... if it had worked he would of gotten so much praise compared to literally any other play call because like I said that play was entirely about the Offensive Coordinator and not the players.

Bevell was trying to be a "guru" and his own personal agenda lead him to call the worst play in Superbowl history.

I'm not going to argue this point anymore right now... I think my original post covers everything I need to say. But if you can give a better explanation as to why that play was called I will read it later... this whole thing just makes me feel sick :pukeface:

Optimus25

Reaction score
You mention how Lockette should have slightly stepped to the right to throw butler off...the problem is bevell doesn't coach fine tuning to this magnitute a la mcdaniels. he relies strictly on misdirection thru routes crossing floods, simple go and comeback routes, and obviously all kinds over the top fading routes from the slot. but as far as implementing minute, fine tuning into the passing game....its obviously completely bankrupt in the offense and as a result, the best we usually do in timing routes of less than or equal to 3 step drops is some kind of bubble route. which makes me lose my freaking mind everytime i think about it, why we would go to a playcall that is so amazingly far from our wheelhouse.

it's like when navy had ohio state on the ropes a couple years back, when oh st was like the 5 seed or something. opening game of the season for oh st. navy ready to pull it even i believe when they were on the oh st 3 yd line or so, and out of nowhere, they pull a pro formation slant (deja vu) or some kind of pass like that which gets intercepted and taken the 90 some yards back. even though the triple option was obliterating and confusing oh st the whole day.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
How did this happen?

One word: HUBRIS

"Hubris is extreme pride and arrogance shown by a character that ultimately brings about his downfall.

"Hubris is a typical flaw in the personality of a character who enjoys a powerful position; as a result of which, he overestimates his capabilities to such an extent that he loses contact with reality. A character suffering from Hubris tries to cross normal human limits and violates moral codes. Examples of Hubris are found in major characters of tragic plays."

http://literarydevices.net/hubris/

In Greek mythology, Hubris typically unfolds as follows: a mere mortal, in a powerful position, begins to think that his powers flow from himself alone, and not from the Gods. When this happens, the Gods punish the mortal and bring about his downfall as a cautionary tale to future potential offenders.

Both Bevell and Pete Carroll convinced themselves that they were more important than the players actually playing the game. They deluded themselves into thinking that they could call risky plays AND HAVE THEM EXECUTED TO PERFECTION just because they were smarter than everyone else.

The Gods proved them wrong.

Gametime

Reaction score
Honestly. Everyone needs to chill out.

If we would have run it three straight times and still lost everyone would have been like. "Bevell has no creativity. Why didn't Russ pass it." Blah blah blah.

Nut up and admit that we are mad cause they lost. Kearse doesn't drop that ball on third and we win. Baldwin's penalty set up the Pats with field position.

There are 5+ plays that affected the outcome and the last play just hurts the worst.

It's not Bevell's fault. It was a good call and the perfect time and we execute poorly and Butler made a great play? Why is that hard to accept? If that were ET would you be saying they made a terrible play call or would you be saying ET made a great play?

Think about it and enjoy the rest of the Sonics season. Wait......... SON OF B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When is the draft again?? :)

Optimus25

Reaction score
Gametime":2jv2ur6j said:
Honestly. Everyone needs to chill out.

If we would have run it three straight times and still lost everyone would have been like. "Bevell has no creativity. Why didn't Russ pass it." Blah blah blah.

Nut up and admit that we are mad cause they lost. Kearse doesn't drop that ball on third and we win. Baldwin's penalty set up the Pats with field position.
There are 5+ plays that affected the outcome and the last play just hurts the worst.

It's not Bevell's fault. It was a good call and the perfect time and we execute poorly and Butler made a great play? Why is that hard to accept? If that were ET would you be saying they made a terrible play call or would you be saying ET made a great play?

Think about it and enjoy the rest of the Sonics season. Wait......... SON OF B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When is the draft again?? :)

It was a good call? re-evaluate your *post*.

Even Van Gundy when color commentating the bulls game today, when asked about what he thought, stumbled around for a while, complimenting Pete and the team, but ended with "you know, when you get that far in any of sports, you dance with who got you there"

Prior to this comment he had stated he doesn't know football so he didn't fully understand the dynamics in play. but even he could get it on the most fundamental level. Why can't you?

Or another question- When have you ever seen lockette run a quick timing route and Russ take a quick drop like that with no playaction? Tell me when so i can explain to you why a totally unproven commodity is a liability in critical situations.

brettb3

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":2nnfcah4 said:
How did this happen?

One word: HUBRIS

"Hubris is extreme pride and arrogance shown by a character that ultimately brings about his downfall.

"Hubris is a typical flaw in the personality of a character who enjoys a powerful position; as a result of which, he overestimates his capabilities to such an extent that he loses contact with reality. A character suffering from Hubris tries to cross normal human limits and violates moral codes. Examples of Hubris are found in major characters of tragic plays."

http://literarydevices.net/hubris/

In Greek mythology, Hubris typically unfolds as follows: a mere mortal, in a powerful position, begins to think that his powers flow from himself alone, and not from the Gods. When this happens, the Gods punish the mortal and bring about his downfall as a cautionary tale to future potential offenders.

Both Bevell and Pete Carroll convinced themselves that they were more important than the players actually playing the game. They deluded themselves into thinking that they could call risky plays AND HAVE THEM EXECUTED TO PERFECTION just because they were smarter than everyone else.

The Gods proved them wrong.
Or they thought, you know, that was the best play call at the time. But no, you're probably right. It's because they thought they were gods.

randomation

Reaction score
How in the world could you ever think a play which doesn't give Russ any chance to create is the best playcall at the time. It makes zero sense to make that playcall in any situation when you have Russ as your qb.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
brettb3":6hzg1bqp said:
Or they thought, you know, that was the best play call at the time. But no, you're probably right. It's because they thought they were gods.

All NFL coaches - all of them - eventually fall victim to Hubris. Name one big name coach who didn't have a MASSIVELY over inflated opinion of himself. You can't because there are no examples.

And the play call was not the BEST play call possible to score on the next down -- as it should have been. It was, as we have learned, a throw-away play designed to set up an epic third & fourth down. The fateful pass on second down was part of a master scheme the complexity of which only the coaches can truly appreciate.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I don't believe for one moment that Bevell wanted to be the hero. That said, if any motivation other than winning the game is proven to have ruled his thought process, Pete should order him to line up on the goal line and try to keep Marshawn out...rinse and repeat that until he gains full appreciation for how hard that is.

KatarHol

Reaction score
Bevell and Wilson would have gotten just as much credit if they would have run the ball in for a td.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Okay first off I did not like the call that much. I have no issue with a pass play. Just not a play to the middle of the field.

With that all said it was not as bad of a call as it first seems. That play could of worked, and worse should of worked. One problem, the players in the situation did not execute it as exactly as needed at that point in time. I have seen the play now from different angles and you can see they had exactly what they wanted and just needed Kearse to push up a little better and have Lockette sell the outside to create doubt. Those two things and then add the Wilson should of put the pass on his body versus lead him.

But that is not what happened and now we are on the losing end of an epic game. As a football fan you can not ask for more drama and even the last play adds to that. The future is bright.