Special Teams production was meh !!!

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I know everyone is all about the worst call in NFL history and all the blame on Bevell and Lockette and Pete ... etc.

Last year's SB had everything and Special team was just amazing with a kickoff return by Percy.
Last year also, I remember we had games, where some amazing Special teams hits or returns (by Tate or Baldwin) just changed the momentum of the game.

In the Superbowl and even in the playoffs, Special Teams was meh !!! Brian Walters just catches punts. On the other side, e were even missing tackles on other team's returns... No, we didn't give up the big one, but there was no excitement in Special team.

Besides all our TEs missing in Action at the SB, I think Special Team was also missing in Action. We need to recapture the Special Team from a couple of years ago !!! Those guys could have made a difference in this SB.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I felt our Special Teams was pretty lackluster all season. Punt returner and kick returner are two huge areas for upgrade next year. If Lockette doesn't return, that's another big hole to fill.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I think Lane does more on Special Teams than Lockette.
But you right, we really need someone with speed to get down field. But we also need a true returner. I think we really wasted that spot to Brian Walters ...He probably had the easiest job on the team (next to long snapper). Just call fair catch and catch the ball !!!

HawkFan72":30nmndhj said:
I felt our Special Teams was pretty lackluster all season. Punt returner and kick returner are two huge areas for upgrade next year. If Lockette doesn't return, that's another big hole to fill.

swagcity21

Reaction score
that was one area we were really great in last year. what did we only give up 30 or 40 yds all year on punts? field position is crucial for us.

obviously our punters and kickers are spectacular but the coverage down field needs work. wonder what happened between the two seasons?? personnel looked the same other than our punt returner.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I felt the same way, except the on side kick and the fake field goal this year on the NFC championship game. However we need to improve on ST for sure. I remember it was a highlight in Pete's first and second year. However, the Ram's always had a number on us.

Hyak

Reaction score
The return game was horrible and our coverage teams, especially on punts, regressed. Some of that, IMO, was the effect of injuries to some of our key ST guys who often are starters.

Rex

Reaction score
Seahawks would have won easily if they still had Harvin.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Rex":15ej1bz4 said:
They most likely wouldn't have made it to the SB with Harvin

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Rex":jrni6s7p said:
Youre joking, right?

The seahawks probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs this year if they kept harvin. Harvin actually made our team WORSE.

Not only that, but if Harvin had been healthy in 2013 we probably wouldn't have made it to the super bowl. We all saw how awful Harvin was, there's no way we make the Super Bowl either year if Harvin was playing every game.

Acquiring Harvin was the wordt move in Seahawks history and one of the 3 worst trades in NFL history, and getting rid of him was perhaps the best move they made this year.

So no, we do not win the Super Bowl with Harvin. We most likely dont even make the playoffs with Harvin.

Vetamur

Reaction score
This whole season we essentially conceded punt and kick off returns since the preseason plan didnt pan out.

A couple games a year can either be won or the winning be made easier with solid performances in those areas. Im really, really hoping those are priorities this offseason. I actually consider them our greatest weakness..its 6 or 10 plays a game you have an opportunity to compete and weve been satisfied enough to just get to the 20 and/or not turn it over. Not very "Pete Carroll"-ish.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
From what I understand, Coleman was a huge part of our special teams. Hopefully he recovers in time and stays healthy.

Vetamur

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":13nz0cyf said:
From what I understand, Coleman was a huge part of our special teams. Hopefully he recovers in time and stays healthy.

I really like Coleman.. seems the FB is always popular..

But Im not sure he will stick. Tukuafu can play FB, can play D-line.. can play special teams.. JS and PC really like that flexibility..

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Special teams production is much more than the returners. It includes Ryan and Hauschka. I'd say ours was one of the better teams in the league. You can't really replace Tate quickly enough.

Rex

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2w04xzuy said:
Rex":2w04xzuy said:
Youre joking, right?

The seahawks probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs this year if they kept harvin. Harvin actually made our team WORSE.

Not only that, but if Harvin had been healthy in 2013 we probably wouldn't have made it to the super bowl. We all saw how awful Harvin was, there's no way we make the Super Bowl either year if Harvin was playing every game.

Acquiring Harvin was the wordt move in Seahawks history and one of the 3 worst trades in NFL history, and getting rid of him was perhaps the best move they made this year.

So no, we do not win the Super Bowl with Harvin. We most likely dont even make the playoffs with Harvin.

Yet Harvin scored the TD in last years Super Bowl. Harvin's speed was missed. Pete had the piece and didn't know how to use it. I think it was costly in this Super Bowl.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Rex":25j7af9k said:
bjornanderson21":25j7af9k said:
Rex":25j7af9k said:
Youre joking, right?

Yet Harvin scored the TD in last years Super Bowl. Harvin's speed was missed. Pete had the piece and didn't know how to use it. I think it was costly in this Super Bowl.
You can't just plug a player in there and believe everything else would play out exactly the same. With Harvin here there would've been no Superb Owl. So it doesn't matter what he would've done

Rex

Reaction score
-The Glove-":17ftzzo4 said:
Rex":17ftzzo4 said:
bjornanderson21":17ftzzo4 said:
Rex":17ftzzo4 said:
Youre joking, right?

You can't just plug a player in there and believe everything else would play out exactly the same. With Harvin here there would've been no Superb Owl. So it doesn't matter what he would've done

I'll take your word for the Super Owl but not for the Super Bowl. :th2thumbs:

raisethe3

Reaction score
I agree that the special team is an area that needs to be addressed. Someone who can handle the KR and PR duties instead of Walters/Baldwin.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
There is no doubt that we need to find a solution for punt and kick returns. One guy I would not mind adding to the team who is exceptional at both who is a FA, is Dallas Cowboys Dwayne Harris. He is very good at both, and he would be a nice addition as a 4th/5th WR.

As for the punt and kick coverage, it's been good all season imo. I thought in the SB, they were missing tackles on Edelman on punt coverage. Not sure why, but the punt coverage was some of the worst i've seen this season.

netskier

Reaction score
Isn't Edelman really good at that, something like fifth in the league?