My SB XLIX experience

SarcasticaLy

Reaction score
So with the ticket fiasco, I was afraid Id get robbed of my ticket. I work at YVR and I was hearing horror stories from the travelers. Vivid seats told us that we were to wait until we get an email to pick up the tickets. We never got that email. I got off work at 1pm and my flight was at 230pm so I was freakin out. My layover in Seattle was 6 hours long and landing in Vegas at 11:30pm. I lucked out and caught the 4pm out of Seattle so I thought that was a sign of good luck and things going in a positive direction. There was NOTHING but Seahawks jerseys all over the airport and random "SEEEAAAA.......HAWKS!!" chants all over. Even on the flight. It was awesome. The flight attendants were in on it too. After they gave their safety briefing, they shouted "SEEEAAA" and we responded.

So I land in Vegas and pick up my rental car and I got a free upgrade (more good luck). I go to pick up my nephew and he tells me.........."WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWLLLL!!!!!" I was ecstatic cuz he showed me the email BUT I was skeptical until I had the tickets in hand. We picked up the tickets the next morning and I couldn't believe I was actually going to the Superbowl!! It was amazing. The ratio was nuts....HAD to have been a ratio of 200:1 Seahawks fans to Pats fans. Didn't meet any annoying/cocky/unruly Pats fans.

When it was time to get loud, the Pats fans seemed to all be behind the end zone painted 'Patriots.' When it was OUr turn, it was loud from EVERYWHERE. It was awesome. Not as loud as CLink but loud enough. Sometime during the 2nd quarter, I looked to my left and noticed a group all wearing Wagner jerseys. One of them, assuming it's his brother, looked just like him. In front of them, a group all wearing Carpenter jerseys and a few rows down from there was a group all wearing Mebane jerseys. Pretty cool.

Well……I’ll get the obvious out of the way – Regardless of the formation, I yelled “BEEEEASSTTTT” because I thought that was the ONLY option. Nothing else would make sense. After the Kearse’s circus catch, it was fate yet again – the game is ours. I saw Russ check Marshawn to his left and I suddenly felt REALLY scared then when he hiked the ball and half a second later, I see Marshawn running to his left, I had a HORRIBLE feeling and once I saw him throw it to the inside, I saw Butler break on it and the way he came in, the way he sold out on it, I knew it was done. I was completely paralyzed at that playcall. After that play, I had to sit down and try to figure out what the hell just happened. I sat there through the game clock hitting :00, I sat there through the confetti, I sat there through the trophy ceremony, I sat there through the speeches (though I don’t remember hearing anything being said) and interviews and I sat there as Brady walked around the stadium to the NFL Network booth. I even sat through the corny Pats fans cheering “M-V-P, M-V-P…,” even their annoying “Bra-dy Pow-er” *clap, clap, clap-clap-clap.* chant. I was, most likely, the last Seahawks fan sitting there. I just couldn’t understand. As Patriots fans walked by me on their way out, there were some that gave me a high five for a good game and there was one old Pats fan that said the game was ours and everything thought it was gonna be a run. Surprisingly, no one gloated.

I finally came back to reality and got my ass up out of that stadium, I walked out still a little shocked but more coherent. I was thinking about the situation – 2nd down on the 1 (if that) w/ 1 TO left. It seemed to make NEGATIVE sense to pass. Just go for the jugular and RUN it and score!! They might even just LET us score. Leave it up to our D to shut em down. Yes, they got 20 seconds left, yes they got Brady and Gronk and yes they got 2 TO left….but a field goal doesn’t win the game. After reading and listening to different points of views, few were right. It knocked some sense into me and this is what I agree with.

1) Theyre right to say a pass play is ok given the circumstances, just wasn’t the RIGHT pass play.
2) Shoulda been a play action or a fade route at the least.
3) EVERYONE expected a run….until they saw the formation of course.
4) Butler deserves a shitload of credit.
5) Russ should have audibled.

I wouldn’t be as devastated if they would have lost in any other fashion. I wish Russ woulda made a better decision. It doesn’t help that Brady’s getting all this recognition – call me a hater, but anyone can sit behind a stout Oline and throw 5-yard passes all game. In the end, its semantics, what happened happened. Its sports. Still a bummer though. 1-yard away from back to back, man!

Overall, as a football fan, it was incredible. As a Seahawk fan, completely devastating. I understand it's the way the Patriots play but the sink n dunk was SOOOOO freakin annoying to watch. It's like a classic display of slow n steady wins the race. Aggravated the hell out of me cuz it worked. Those short receivers runnin all over the place, eatin up yards.

Just saw that Kam was playing with a messed up MCL. What a beast! Wonder if he woulda blanked out Gronk if he was healthy. Ugh.

Well, let's take in the fact that we gon be playing at Levi Stadium 3 times next year just like we did at the University of Phoenix Stadium this year. Winning a SB on our dickin rivals' turf two years in a row would be hilarious! The ULTIMATE bragging rights. Lol. Ah well.
Here's some pics. Thanks for reading.

7ADF710B 2575 4136 A8DD EF1B27441B14
B10972FE 0FCA 4F1D 9F96 7B00ACC41FAE
CB90A81D 49EA 44BF 92BF B8D02D9F5B63
1DD9495F 1DA7 4A18 B2EA 4333357223EE
4705DC0A 28ED 4EC4 9024 C1646B0CCAC8
EBEF9BD6 4183 44C0 9EF8 4EBA34D357DE
45DF7F9F E77C 4D91 893F 2DE778CCDAC3

This one is within 5 minutes of the end of the game when people starting leaving.....quickly. One older Pats fan came up to me and was wondering what a billion people were wondering. "Why not run it? You were beating us all game with him." He said we won that game and shook my hand and said good game and went on his way.
7E9FBBE1 7BD1 47B7 845D 64EF0A4C1D72

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up and post, dude. Sorry for the heartbreak, we are all trying to get through it.
I hope it was a great experience, at least up until that end.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up and pics. OBTW, there was no option to audible out of that play.

OP
OP
S

SarcasticaLy

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":r0qbsntz said:
Thanks for the write-up and pics. OBTW, there was no option to audible out of that play.

Yeah, I heard that too. I meant to say I wish he would have done something different......ANYTHING. But as it was explained, by Russ himself I believe, there was no checking out of it or anything. Supposedly the play was for him to throw it as soon as he planted his foot from a 3-step drop.

Yes, it was incredible aside from the last half minute.

marko358

Reaction score
SarcasticaLy":191zw1f1 said:
HawKnPeppa":191zw1f1 said:

Yeah, I heard that too. I meant to say I wish he would have done something different......ANYTHING. But as it was explained, by Russ himself I believe, there was no checking out of it or anything. Supposedly the play was for him to throw it as soon as he planted his foot from a 3-step drop.

Yes, it was incredible aside from the last half minute.
Heck, in hindsight it would have been nice to get a patented Okung false start as annoying as that would have been in the moment.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
At the time, I was happy Lynch was tackled at the 1 yard line because it meant that more time would come off the clock.

Now I just wish he had scored and the Pats got the ball with a minute left.