How do you solve a problem like Tharold Simon

Brithawk

Reaction score
I'm hoping he can make a major leap in the off season after Edelman made him his bitch.

Do we draft a CB high given we probably can't afford Maxi, switch Lane over to RCB?

You'd have to hope Simon can learn & prepare because his games against Carolina & NE were just awful

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I'm not confident in Simon improving much. Nearly every time he gets a pass completed on him, he immediately looks to the official asking for a PI. That tells me he thinks there always reason, other than himself, why a pass is completed. That does not seem like the type of person that is going to do whatever he can to improve himself and his play.

GoPatsSB49

Reaction score
I mean, he's what, your fourth string cornerback? How much of an upgrade over him do you really want/need?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
GoPatsSB49":gpsehza9 said:
I mean, he's what, your fourth string cornerback? How much of an upgrade over him do you really want/need?

The issue becomes Maxwell. If he leaves, then Simon moves up the depth chart.

Fortunately their are not many spread and dink teams in the NFL, so his usage is somewhat contained. Patriots found the weakness in the Hawks D when Lane went down. Seattle did not adjust. Given that, Simon looks rather tame, even as a backup.

OP
OP
B

Brithawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":vgbobkst said:
I'm not confident in Simon improving much. Nearly every time he gets a pass completed on him, he immediately looks to the official asking for a PI. That tells me he thinks there always reason, other than himself, why a pass is completed. That does not seem like the type of person that is going to do whatever he can to improve himself and his play.
I noticed that on the Edelman TD, he was looking elsewhere for something to blame. Hopefully Kam, Earl & Sherm can knock some sense into the lad.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
This is his second year in the league. Do you really expect another Richard Sherman to come in as quickly as he did?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Brithawk":2qnv24v6 said:
Seanhawk":2qnv24v6 said:
I noticed that on the Edelman TD, he was looking elsewhere for something to blame. Hopefully Kam, Earl & Sherm can knock some sense into the lad.

The dude looks woefully unprepared out there. He had better REALLY turn a corner by TC or I think he'll be hitting the skids. Preparation is critical to Pete's philosophy. A youngster like Simon better be 'all in,' but so far he has proven otherwise.

OP
OP
B

Brithawk

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2fokeq0n said:
This is his second year in the league. Do you really expect another Richard Sherman to come in as quickly as he did?
No one is saying he has to look like Sherman, he's looked incompetent in the playoffs though. I wasn't suggesting we cut him right away just asking if we give him time at RCB or do we draft a new CB to start

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Brithawk":h2yj4sbj said:
Seanhawk":h2yj4sbj said:

It wasn't just that play. He did it against Carolina quite a bit too, and I think a couple other times in the Super Bowl. I'm going to trust my memory on that though. I don't plan on re-watching that game anytime soon.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Brithawk":3fvnp7fp said:
dumbrabbit":3fvnp7fp said:
No one is saying he has to look like Sherman, he's looked incompetent in the playoffs though. I wasn't suggesting we cut him right away just asking if we give him time at RCB or do we draft a new CB to start

It's his second year. No one becomes an all-pro in two years. If JS finds a good CB in the draft, so be it. But you can't expect Simon to come in and compete quickly. Only Richard Sherman and Russell Wilson can do that.

cacksman

Reaction score
Brithawk":rlmcj69w said:
dumbrabbit":rlmcj69w said:

We will definitely be drafting a couple CBs I'd guess. Maxwell will probably leave. If I were to guess, I'd say Lane has the best shot to start #2 next year, with Burley/draft pick/FA as the 3rd corner. If Simon were to improve by leaps and bounds maybe he'd have something to say about that, but I would not bet on it.

pehawk

Reaction score
Maxwell wasn't even really playing at a similar point in Simon's career. He'll be fine...trust the staff that took a rag-tag draft class, and made them the LOB. Simon is more natural a DB, athletically, than Maxwell or Sherman.

Simon will be fine.

A

Anonymous

pehawk":132dsjp0 said:
Maxwell wasn't even really playing at a similar point in Simon's career. He'll be fine...trust the staff that took a rag-tag draft class, and made them the LOB. Simon is more natural a DB, athletically, than Maxwell or Sherman.

Simon will be fine.

This.

Simon has the body-tools, just needs more reps and coaching. (not necessarily in that order...)

McGruff

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3dbzpmh9 said:

Exactly. You solve Tharold Simon through patience and competition. And having realistic expectations. Simon is a lot closer to Browner than he is to Sherman, and Browner only had success in the NFL after 5+ years of professional football, and even at that point he had/has significant weaknesses.

The one question I have about Simon is that he was on the LSU coaches "hit list" of low effort players. Has he developed the drive and desire to succeed in the NFL? If not, than all the patience in the world will not suffice. If he has, than it is a matter of time. The tools are there. The technique will follow.

In the mean time, bring in veterans and rookies to push him and push him hard. The cream will rise.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I tweeted this state out earlier.. Seahawks had 5 TDs against in the entire regular season by the WR position. Simon gave up 4 TDs in 3 games to WRs alone.

Vetamur

Reaction score
He didnt have picks so it didnt show up, but Simon really did have good games this season. All CBs are going to suffer by comparison to who is across from them, and their numbers are actually going to be worse because of that as well. Byron Maxwell gets picked on as well, and before Lane's pick the Patriots were moving pretty well also.

I think another offseason and training camp of work will help pull Simon up. Sherman has raved about him.

That said, I think we should spend another 5th and 6th rounder on CB projects.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Simon reminds me of BB, who took a LONG time to develop.........I just don't have the faith that he's going to develop enough in time to start next year.

If we could get a veteran DB to just play halfway decent and allow Simon another full year to work on his footwork and technique then I think that would be the best course of action. Because as of now if Simon's our starting DB opposite Sherman he's going to get 1,000 balls thrown at him next year.

northseahawk

Reaction score
To those of you who are defending this POS who lost us the Super Bowl almost single handedly, not everyone in our backfield is going to become an all-pro. All the other members in our secondary has a desire, a fire, and an attitude to get better and work hard. We saw and felt it in every single member. We saw that their hard work was showing on the field. But Simon has the mentality of a complete loser. He may have the physical abilities, but so did the 1000s of other players who couldn't make it in the NFL.

In this league you have limited chances and you need to push yourself hard and fast and show up on game day prepared. SImon has gotten worst IMO. His body language expresses excuses, blaming others, anger, while in reality, its just his unpreparedness and lack of concentration. This is strike 2, probably will get another chance, but I don't see a bright future in this shit heads future!