Seahawks are DONE!!!!

Schadie001

Reaction score
This is has been the overwhelming narrative I have read in many articles over the past week. I just finished reading one stating 3 reasons why the Seahawks are "done" as we know them. The fact of the matter is last year many in the media thought that we were also done, there was no way we would be able to retain our FA's, or replace them and we did have a couple leave. But what many are not looking at is the number of people who over the past 2 years have re-signed and are locked up for at least the next couple of years. Of course Wilson is going to get paid, Maxwell will probably leave, I'm sure a couple more will also be gone. But I truly believe based on what we have witnessed over the past 4 years, Pete and John have fully planned for all of this. It is much easier to get a great nucleus in place and replace a few pieces here and than constantly retool. This separates teams that stand the test of time vs the one year wonders.

One thing that is overlooked by the so called media experts is our IR, there was almost half a roster on there and some very young and talented players who I have no doubt will be back and contribute. They over look our drafts, many because they are the picks the Kipers of the world would take, one only has to look at Cleveland to see taking the media favorite isn't the best choice. There is one thing for sure, Pete and his coaching and scouting department are very good at evaluating football talent. I believe, we actually will be better next year than this year because we suffered numerous injuries and still were within a yard of winning the superbowl again. The only thing that I hope is done with this team is the injuries. I hope this was our year where everyone gets hurt and hopefully it's behind us. What other team can suffer the number of injuries we did and still be arguably the best team in the NFL.

If you look at this team as far as contracts go, our defense with exception of maybe a few will be back. On offense I believe Lynch will return regardless of how bad the media has tried to make it an issue. Our line WILL be better next year, I'm no OL evaluator but in the SB Wilson had a ton of time on several plays which was a sight for sore eyes. I think Mathews shined and showed that we have a diamond in the rough, I believe he is that big target we have been looking for. Combined with a healthy Richardson, and Baldwin could make a very formidable WR corps.

Bottom line: I get that we aren't the media darlings and really don't want to be. I just find it so very odd that so many in the media really want Seattle to explode, to the point where they have to make up stories to try and get the ball rolling. I mean really, yes losing the SB when it was right there for the taking hurt me as a fan, I'm sure it hurt the players 100 times more. But I believe things like this only make competitors hungry, because you love the feeling of winning and loath the losing feeling.

Just my 2 cents and sorry it was a long one.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Its the current narrative.

The Seahawks are also favorites to win next year and will be instilled as such by the media (for the most part) when August comes around.

Team is young and has been the most successful (in wins) of any NFL team over the last 3 years. They have lost one game by more than 7 points in that span and show little signs of regressing. Lynch is the biggest piece that will need to be replaced in this team's "window"

This is the end of the beginning, not the other way around.

harryjohnson

Reaction score
I seem to recall that narrative all of last year. Haters going to be jelly.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
At this point the only thing standing in our way is the IR list, and those that should have been on it. We were decimated by injuries last season (2014) and it ultimately (IMO) cost us the Superbowl. Yes we are likely to lose several vets to FA, all of whom I have confidence in the FO to replace.

My Wish list is to get another major league edge rusher, major help from the center of the OL all the way to the LT, a few new CB's, and some receiving help, and for gods sake someone to return kicks! Some of these players may be on the roster already (IR).

mikeak

Reaction score
Next year, after winning the Super Bowl, you will read about the Seahawks dynasty......

Boycie

Reaction score
Schadie001":3mrebcrs said:
This is has been the overwhelming narrative I have read in many articles over the past week. I just finished reading one stating 3 reasons why the Seahawks are "done" as we know them. The fact of the matter is last year many in the media thought that we were also done, there was no way we would be able to retain our FA's, or replace them and we did have a couple leave. But what many are not looking at is the number of people who over the past 2 years have re-signed and are locked up for at least the next couple of years. Of course Wilson is going to get paid, Maxwell will probably leave, I'm sure a couple more will also be gone. But I truly believe based on what we have witnessed over the past 4 years, Pete and John have fully planned for all of this. It is much easier to get a great nucleus in place and replace a few pieces here and than constantly retool. This separates teams that stand the test of time vs the one year wonders.

One thing that is overlooked by the so called media experts is our IR, there was almost half a roster on there and some very young and talented players who I have no doubt will be back and contribute. They over look our drafts, many because they are the picks the Kipers of the world would take, one only has to look at Cleveland to see taking the media favorite isn't the best choice. There is one thing for sure, Pete and his coaching and scouting department are very good at evaluating football talent. I believe, we actually will be better next year than this year because we suffered numerous injuries and still were within a yard of winning the superbowl again. The only thing that I hope is done with this team is the injuries. I hope this was our year where everyone gets hurt and hopefully it's behind us. What other team can suffer the number of injuries we did and still be arguably the best team in the NFL.

If you look at this team as far as contracts go, our defense with exception of maybe a few will be back. On offense I believe Lynch will return regardless of how bad the media has tried to make it an issue. Our line WILL be better next year, I'm no OL evaluator but in the SB Wilson had a ton of time on several plays which was a sight for sore eyes. I think Mathews shined and showed that we have a diamond in the rough, I believe he is that big target we have been looking for. Combined with a healthy Richardson, and Baldwin could make a very formidable WR corps.

Bottom line: I get that we aren't the media darlings and really don't want to be. I just find it so very odd that so many in the media really want Seattle to explode, to the point where they have to make up stories to try and get the ball rolling. I mean really, yes losing the SB when it was right there for the taking hurt me as a fan, I'm sure it hurt the players 100 times more. But I believe things like this only make competitors hungry, because you love the feeling of winning and loath the losing feeling.

Is anyone else feeling that RW is going to take less money than we all think he will? I think he will, and here's why.

1. The front office might be able to get a more friendly cap hit by giving him more guaranteed money for a lower per year salary.

2. I think Russell is a savvy guy, and knows that a huge contract could handicap this team, and thus his performance numbers would suffer. He wants to win, and I think he knows how very blessed he is to be making the money he will be making, and as such, he will be ok with a more friendly cap hit.

3. RW knows that his salary is only the tip of the iceberg financially. He knows that if he is part of a championship calibre team, that his endorsement deals will increase, and this will more than make up for any shortfall that a reduced salary make.

Thoughts?

Playmaker21

Reaction score
Here is why this narrative is poppy cock. Who is going to over take the Seahawks in the NFC West?

The 49ers fired one of the best Head Coaches in football and replaced him with a lap dog position coach who has never been a coordinator in the NFL let alone a Head Coach. He takes over an old roster with a regressing QB. We are about to see a renaissance of the bad 49ers teams of the mid to late 2000's.

The Rams are the cousin Eddie of the NFL. Likable qualities but at the end of the day is as dysfunctional as you get. Absentee owner who is planning to move the organization back to L.A. A head coach who had the game pass him by a decade ago. They are bringing back a bust at QB who has greatly retarded the growth of the team. And despite the narrative, their defense is more average than elite.

Which leads me to Arizona. Aging QB coming off an ACL. Overachieving roster who lost their Defensive Coordinator. This is a 6-10 team with a 10-6 Head Coach.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Wow, uh, where are you getting this "we're done" vibe from? I mean, yes, there are some of the old guard on here who still hold the paranoia torch high, but in general, I think the focus has been solely on that last game call, and to a lesser extent, free agency next year, but I never got this "game over" vibe.

As people have said above, we have an amazing squad that isn't even healthy. Hell we went to the Super Bowl without Mebane, without Richardson, without Hill, without Miller, with a badly injured LOB...and we lost it ourselves. They didn't beat us. We lost it.

So no, I think once people get over the tragedy of that loss, they're going to open their eyes and realize next year it get sooooo much better.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I think AZ is the biggest challenge to the division right now. And I believe they have some serious cap issues coming. I think I read $20M over or something like that.

Sonicsdave

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1lev8kmt said:
Schadie001":1lev8kmt said:

Is anyone else feeling that RW is going to take less money than we all think he will? I think he will, and here's why.

1. The front office might be able to get a more friendly cap hit by giving him more guaranteed money for a lower per year salary.

2. I think Russell is a savvy guy, and knows that a huge contract could handicap this team, and thus his performance numbers would suffer. He wants to win, and I think he knows how very blessed he is to be making the money he will be making, and as such, he will be ok with a more friendly cap hit.

3. RW knows that his salary is only the tip of the iceberg financially. He knows that if he is part of a championship calibre team, that his endorsement deals will increase, and this will more than make up for any shortfall that a reduced salary make.

Thoughts?

All this plus he has a billion dollars worth of endorsement deals so he's not exactly starving...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1gf5ibdt said:
Schadie001":1gf5ibdt said:
Is anyone else feeling that RW is going to take less money than we all think he will?

Less money? No. But I do think there will be a couple cap friendly wrinkles in his contract to prevent the HUGE balloon years like some teams are going through. Romo's going to count 27.7M against the cap in 2015, yikes!

IMO Russell's contract will be along the lines of what the Pats are doing with Brady..........nice even mix of low base + high bonus throughout the contract, as opposed to escalating contract that bites us in the ass in 2018/2019, etc.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england- ... tom-brady/

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I agree with St. Largent, the way Wilson was implying that he wants to win and stay in Seattle forever make it seems like he knows what he needs to do to keep that team competitive. He loves the city and the fans, and after that lost and all the criticism coming out about that pass, you know it burns him and he probably would love to get some play-makers to help him out. I can see them doing all sorts of things to make it friendly for everyone.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Playmaker21":d2yt5dpn said:
Here is why this narrative is poppy cock. Who is going to over take the Seahawks in the NFC West?

The 49ers fired one of the best Head Coaches in football and replaced him with a lap dog position coach who has never been a coordinator in the NFL let alone a Head Coach. He takes over an old roster with a regressing QB. We are about to see a renaissance of the bad 49ers teams of the mid to late 2000's.

The Rams are the cousin Eddie of the NFL. Likable qualities but at the end of the day is as dysfunctional as you get. Absentee owner who is planning to move the organization back to L.A. A head coach who had the game pass him by a decade ago. They are bringing back a bust at QB who has greatly retarded the growth of the team. And despite the narrative, their defense is more average than elite.

Which leads me to Arizona. Aging QB coming off an ACL. Overachieving roster who lost their Defensive Coordinator. This is a 6-10 team with a 10-6 Head Coach.

I posted something similar on another site....I dont think the 49ers are going to do anything next year, the Rams are always an 8-8 team with no QB and the Cards wont repeat what they did last year. They were close on a ton of games and were more of a 9-7, 8-8 type team that just overachieved.

Seattle has arguably the only NFL Quality QB in the division, although Palmer can be good if he can stay healthy. They also have the best Defense in the division IMO

Anthony!

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3r3177wx said:
I agree with St. Largent, the way Wilson was implying that he wants to win and stay in Seattle forever make it seems like he knows what he needs to do to keep that team competitive. He loves the city and the fans, and after that lost and all the criticism coming out about that pass, you know it burns him and he probably would love to get some play-makers to help him out. I can see them doing all sorts of things to make it friendly for everyone.

I agree it was possible however you can be certain part of him doing this will include some kid of guarantee they improve the oline and Wr as well as trying to keep Lynch.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
I don't think they are "done" by any means. However, they need to get some shhh figured out with certain positions and hope that the LOB can come out of there surgeries strong ready to dominate. I think we're in for a tough season. Hopefully we can finish strong and take the west again then make a push for 50.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
JaiSeaSea":7ze1lmt0 said:
I don't think they are "done" by any means. However, they need to get some shhh figured out with certain positions and hope that the LOB can come out of there surgeries strong ready to dominate. I think we're in for a tough season. Hopefully we can finish strong and take the west again then make a push for 50.

Funny how the difference between a budding dynasty (two superbowl wins in a row) and NEEDING TO GET THEIR SHHHHH FIGURED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! is about 3 inches.

3 inches and this board is out of control with positive superlatives.

instead, we apparently are facing a "tough" season.

so funny.

Threedee

Reaction score
After last season, we were going to be 19-0. I guess being a sports analyst isn't as demanding of intellect or creativity as I thought...

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Schadie001":lesawkwh said:

Yes I agree the team will learn from this not only make them more hungry next year but play together more as team from the get go ( besides the opening game against green bay did not until they were 6-4 ) I have seen time and time again teams that bounce the following season, does not mean the hawks will have there down moments , but maybe mature more when they happen and if they ever run into a situation again like on there last drive of the SB , they will know more what to do with it. I hate all these people across the league saying that the Hawks are done etc, they are just jealous that there team is not as good as ours I have seen it in every sport Hockey, Baseball , Basketball etc , Because I am Canadian I remember in the mid 80s when the oilers were so good and cocky nobody liked them for there Stanley cup wins , same with the Bulls with Jordan , Yankees with John Tory as there manager.

BillBelichick

Reaction score
I haven't heard a single report that doesn't put the Seahwaks squarely in the Super Bowl picture, I mean Vegas already has you guys as the odds-on favorite.

You won the Super Bowl last year and came in 2nd this year.

I kept wondering this year how the reigning Super Bowl champions could continue to pretend that the world was doubting them. It's incredible how you guys always find a way to churn out the "us against the world" thing.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe the OP could link up some examples from this "overwhelming narrative", because I have yet to see any of them.

The national NFL media has been ball-washing the Hawks for two and half seasons now, and DESERVEDLY SO.

The victim complex has gotten increasingly stale/ridiculous/silly/goofy/[insert your own]