If Lynch walks

WCstripes

Reaction score
If Beastmode does decided to retire who do you to replace him with? Maybe going after someone like Murray from the Cowboys or drafting a rb? I am not sure that Turbin or CMike can carry the load.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
We will draft.

I could see a push for AP... maybe. But that would be it.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Start Turbin, develop C-Mike as a backup hopefully to replace Turbin the following year as starter.

Accept next year as a building year, and pray those RBs show they are no scrubs.

Re-work and get some weapons on offense so teams have to acknowledge RW can actually throw the ball in the pocket as well as everything else he does.

Might not be a bad plan considering I don't even think the defense is going to be healthy the bulk of next year.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I love Lynch and desperately want him to stay but if he goes, we'll still be competitive. I'd expect us to ride with Turbin/Michael and get a guy in the draft who could start.

It would also free up enough money to keep Byron and go after a big name WR like Fitz, Jackson or Marshall. Wouldn't be the end of the world by any means.

I'd be distraught and super excited for the future all at the same time. Bittersweet.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Cowboys won't give up Murray. They'll franchise Dez for a year, get Murray in the books, then lock in Dez the year later when cash frees up.

First: DON'T LEAVE LYNCH!

Now that's out of the way, I don't know what the draft class is coming up, but for FAs, it's not a pretty picture. Some decent names out there, but all with huge injury risk. Spiller, Mathews, guys that, frankly with our line, would break in a game.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... y-position

I say stick with what we have for now

Hyak

Reaction score
In the event that Lynch is not a Seahawk, then I think they likely draft a guy like Gordon or Gurley.

The other thing we do not know is whether Turbin or Michaels could step up with more carries. RB is a position where you have to get into a flow of the game and honestly neither one has ever been asked to be more than that here. Turbin played pretty well this year and definitely has been more productive than Michaels.

The running game would take a hit for sure but I don't think it would be as catastrophic as some on here would lead you to believe.

2_0_6

Reaction score
ManBunts":3sh84rcr said:
Cowboys won't give up Murray. They'll franchise Dez for a year, get Murray in the books, then lock in Dez the year later when cash frees up.

Now that's out of the way, I don't know what the draft class is coming up, but for FAs, it's not a pretty picture. Some decent names out there, but all with huge injury risk. Spiller, Mathews, guys that, frankly with our line, would break in a game.

Disagree here. The Cowboys are in a similar situation that the Hawks were in 2005. Great O-line that will need to be paid soon, and pretty much any decent running back would get 1100+ yards.

I would bet that they would look to the draft or FA (M. Ingram, Gurley, Gordon) and use the extra money on Dez.

Ozzy

Reaction score
If Lynch walks I think they target a couple of guys in the draft early and if that doesnt work out they will do what they can to get Michael to be the guy and Turbin to work in his normal role but with more touches. Michael is still better than people realize and he is more than capable of being an elite back in this league. He just has to figure it out between the ears.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If lynch goes I agree we need to use the money saved and high draft pick to shore up the O-line.

Without Lynch, the O-line will need to be better for whoever is running the ball and Wilson will need more time without being able to lean on the run game as much. Lynch is what makes our Offense go. Just plugging in a new running back isn't going to fix it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Yep, if they're smart they'll do that, but I'm not sure how smart they are.

Nothing worse being forced to try to re-sign a guy who just had a career year. That it's the only time in his entire career that his injuries didn't make him miss multiple games and that it took one of the best run blocking lines in the NFL to make it happen makes it even more of a mistake to re-sign him to a big deal.

I've read rumors that there are folks in the Cowboys building who believe that if given the opportunity Randle could have also done what Murray did. That's unlikely (even Murray ever doing again what he did is incredibly unlikely), but if that belief within the building is true it might nudge them into the smarter decision of letting Murray walk.

I guess the other side of the coin (and thing to consider) is that Romo is old by this point (34), so they might recognize the shortness of their window and just pay Murray to get another year or two in before dealing with the consequences later (when they're rebuilding anyway after Romo retires).

dukestar

Reaction score
The problem with Lynch though is the Seahawks won't necessarily know if he's playing until after free agency and the draft. So how can JS plan around that? Lynch is under contract. If he does nothing and waits until training camp to decide to retire or hold out we are SOL. Lynch in a way has the upper hand here. If he wants to be a dick about it he can. I hope he decides soon to allow JS to work free agency and the draft accordingly.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Good point. I really hope Lynch lets us know either way. I think if I'm JS and I haven't heard anything I work under the assumption that hes gone and draft accordingly. It limits us still in free agency but maybe if Lynch waits too long he makes JS's decision for him? Not sure what your other option is. Hate to think we start the year where we were limited in FA because we thought he was coming back and we drafted differently as a result of that as well. Tough situation for JS but hopefully it works out well.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
dukestar":1sr88mku said:
The problem with Lynch though is the Seahawks won't necessarily know if he's playing until after free agency and the draft. So how can JS plan around that? Lynch is under contract. If he does nothing and waits until training camp to decide to retire or hold out we are SOL. Lynch in a way has the upper hand here. If he wants to be a dick about it he can. I hope he decides soon to allow JS to work free agency and the draft accordingly.

I'm guessing this was JS' thinking in trying to get something worked out with Lynch now.

If the details of the offer were correct I think it would be a mistake on Lynch's part to sign that deal, but trying to get it done in advance of the off season (or at the beginning of it, before FA or the draft) had to be part of JS' thinking.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I don't think whether Lynch retires or not really matters much to the offseason plans. Either way, I would be focused on improving the offensive line and the receiver corps. If Lynch comes back, great. If he doesn't, then we have improved in areas that will make up for losing Lynch.

We may decide to pick up a Gurley if he is available at the right spot even if we know that we have Lynch, but I would be okay with our current stable of running backs behind an improved pass pro line and a better receiver corps. Russ is ready to move ahead with a more balanced attack and carry the load.

Not that it would not hurt to lose Lynch. That would be the second biggest loss this team could suffer, but I do think that the areas we need to address in the offseason are the same whether Lynch comes back or not.

- bsd RPA

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I hope hope hope that Lynch stays a few more seasons and retires as a SeaHawk, and I'm optimistic that will happen. He's one of those guys who's jersey will be timeless if he retires here. But, if he decides to retire now then I trust John and Pete to use the guys we have in addition to adding more competition. We be alright.

JonRud

Reaction score
I think Lynch will come back. The Hawks have to offer him a decent contract for 2-3 years. He won't turn down the money.

But then again who the hell knows with him.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3lobnr36 said:
ManBunts":3lobnr36 said:

Disagree here. The Cowboys are in a similar situation that the Hawks were in 2005. Great O-line that will need to be paid soon, and pretty much any decent running back would get 1100+ yards.

I would bet that they would look to the draft or FA (M. Ingram, Gurley, Gordon) and use the extra money on Dez.

Wrong about the OL.. one is a 3rd year player on a 4yr deal, the other is a rookie on a 5yr deal. Tyron Smith already got contract #2. Cowboys have at least 2 years before they have to pay Frederick and 3 before they pay Martin.

timmat

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1yfye1fw said:
If lynch goes I agree we need to use the money saved and high draft pick to shore up the O-line.

Without Lynch, the O-line will need to be better for whoever is running the ball and Wilson will need more time without being able to lean on the run game as much. Lynch is what makes our Offense go. Just plugging in a new running back isn't going to fix it.

This hits it. Honestly, with the O-line play we had in 2013 and 2014, we have no business being a Super Bowl team. I think we have the only QB and RB in the league that don't need even decent O-line play to be successful. Like almost everyone, I want Lynch to stay in a very bad way. Regardless of wins/losses/Super Bowls, it just so much fun to watch that guy play. I've never enjoyed 4 yard runs so much.

If for some insane reason he's gone, I feel the only way we remain a top-tier contender is for our O-line to no longer require a Herculean performance from the RB for a 3 yd rush.

And just to be fair, I thought the O-line provided some nice protection for Russ in the Super Bowl. However I think it had a lot to do with NE's gameplan focusing on coverage more than pass rush.