Off season thoughts

jackflash50

Reaction score
A lot of questions this off season.

QB: no need to discuss.

RB: Will Lynch resign & quite possibly lower his cap hit by doing so? If not he is under contract and with Turbin & Michael behind him there is great depth at this position.

FB: I like the versatility they have at this spot. Tukuafu also fills in on d-line when needed and Coleman will be back healthy I hope.

Tight End: Zach Miller, can't resign him at his price tag. Luke shows glimpses but is not a #1 TE. With Thomas, Gresham, and Cameron all free agents I would much rather pick up a known player than take a chance drafting a TE. Obviously Thomas would be my #1 pick. Cameron would be however concussion concerns and I feel Gresham's better years are still to come.

WR: This is the big question. Dont' get me wrong. I love what Baldwin & Kearse have done. They battle, block and seem to come up with big plays when needed. Love the attitude Baldwin has but love him much more as a #2/#3 receiver than a #1. Lockette is great on special teams but not an every down receiver and Matthews is a big ?. I worry about Richardson's 2nd knee surgery. Not good for a player who depends on his speed and quickness. I would love to see them move up in the draft and target a possible solid #1 receiver. Free agent class has Dez & Demaryius however doubt they can afford either of them and I don't see Dallas parting with Dez. Maclin would be a tier below but still doubt his cap # would be friendly. Nate Washington from TN would be another option in free agency. I feel the draft is the best way to go about this. Bring a young possible #1 in to work with Kearse & Baldwin & hope Matthews was not a 1 game wonder.

O-Line: Like the Tackels and depth there. would like to see guard upgraded and them resign Carpenter. I thought he played much better this season. We do need guard depth however. If carp leaves would love to see them sign Iupati away from SF. He's nasty!!! With the possibility of a lot of mid round picks can pick up guard depth there as well.

Defense:

DL: You would hope Mebane and Hill will be back healthy. I hope Kevin Williams gives it 1 more year. Hoping Jessie Williams can stay healthy & let us see what he is capable of. Tony McDaniel is a big cap hit. Will he restructure or go else where? Maybe pick up a few projects in the draft but if healthy this unit is strong. Injuries really hurt last season. Also remember Bennett moves inside in passing downs.

DE: Avrill & Bennett are under contract. Marsh will be back after his injury to provide situational depth. This in my opinion needs to be the position that needs to be addressed. Need better depth at the DE position.

LB: Pretty set here with a mix of players however have to figure they will lose Malcolm Smith & Scofield in free agency. I like the young back ups so maybe a veteran & a draft pick for depth.

DB's: Obviously the 3 main members of the LOB are back and hopefully healthy after off season surgeries. Have to figure Max is gone. Hate to see him go but can't afford him. They lost Thurmond & BB last year & now Max. I am not sold on Simon but do feel Lane could step in and at least get the job done. Thurmond is a free agent again and I would love to see him come back. Have to pick up depth at this position in the draft.

Just my 2 cents.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I've got high hopes for marsh and Pierre Louis being big contributors next season. We badly need weapons in the passing game.

Sonicsdave

Reaction score
jackflash50":26zl7x49 said:
RB: Will Lynch resign & quite possibly lower his cap hit by doing so? If not he is under contract and with Turbin & Michael behind him there is great depth at this position.
FB: I like the versatility they have at this spot. Tukuafu also fills in on d-line when needed and Coleman will be back healthy I hope.
Tight End: Zach Miller, can't resign him at his price tag. Luke shows glimpses but is not a #1 TE. With Thomas, Gresham, and Cameron all free agents I would much rather pick up a known player than take a chance drafting a TE. Obviously Thomas would be my #1 pick. Cameron would be however concussion concerns and I feel Gresham's better years are still to come.
WR: This is the big question. Dont' get me wrong. I love what Baldwin & Kearse have done. They battle, block and seem to come up with big plays when needed. Love the attitude Baldwin has but love him much more as a #2/#3 receiver than a #1. Lockette is great on special teams but not an every down receiver and Matthews is a big ?. I worry about Richardson's 2nd knee surgery. Not good for a player who depends on his speed and quickness. I would love to see them move up in the draft and target a possible solid #1 receiver. Free agent class has Dez & Demaryius however doubt they can afford either of them and I don't see Dallas parting with Dez. Maclin would be a tier below but still doubt his cap # would be friendly. Nate Washington from TN would be another option in free agency. I feel the draft is the best way to go about this. Bring a young possible #1 in to work with Kearse & Baldwin & hope Matthews was not a 1 game wonder.
O-Line: Like the Tackels and depth there. would like to see guard upgraded and them resign Carpenter. I thought he played much better this season. We do need guard depth however. If carp leaves would love to see them sign Iupati away from SF. He's nasty!!! With the possibility of a lot of mid round picks can pick up guard depth there as well.

Defense:
DL: You would hope Mebane and Hill will be back healthy. I hope Kevin Williams gives it 1 more year. Hoping Jessie Williams can stay healthy & let us see what he is capable of. Tony McDaniel is a big cap hit. Will he restructure or go else where? Maybe pick up a few projects in the draft but if healthy this unit is strong. Injuries really hurt last season. Also remember Bennett moves inside in passing downs.
DE: Avrill & Bennett are under contract. Marsh will be back after his injury to provide situational depth. This in my opinion needs to be the position that needs to be addressed. Need better depth at the DE position.
LB: Pretty set here with a mix of players however have to figure they will lose Malcolm Smith & Scofield in free agency. I like the young back ups so maybe a veteran & a draft pick for depth.
DB's: Obviously the 3 main members of the LOB are back and hopefully healthy after off season surgeries. Have to figure Max is gone. Hate to see him go but can't afford him. They lost Thurmond & BB last year & now Max. I am not sold on Simon but do feel Lane could step in and at least get the job done. Thurmond is a free agent again and I would love to see him come back. Have to pick up depth at this position in the draft.

Just my 2 cents.

Iupati for sure- they've been missing that nasty edge since losing Breno.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3n48h7g3 said:
I've got high hopes for marsh and Pierre Louis being big contributors next season. We badly need weapons in the passing game.

Ditto.

I expected a few veteran IR type injuries, but we really had some bad luck with rookies and young guys this year, which is not normal. Usually those guys are the last ones you gotta worry about.

I expect Hill, KPL and Marsh to be big contributors on D next year.

swagcity21

Reaction score
people seem to forget the seahawks were high on crabtree out of college.

the first domino to fall will be RW's contract. That will dictate what kind of cap space we have moving forward. I would love to see a few veteran guys that can still make a difference come to Seattle on 2 yr deals much like Avril did. Prove your worth and get paid.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":o1vrabht said:
JSeahawks":o1vrabht said:

Ditto.

I expected a few veteran IR type injuries, but we really had some bad luck with rookies and young guys this year, which is not normal. Usually those guys are the last ones you gotta worry about.

I expect Hill, KPL and Marsh to be big contributors on D next year.

Man, throw in a healthy Mebane & Scruggs and we're looking pretty formidable again. And look at how far we got despite all those injuries. Lots of reasons to be optimistic.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I really hope we can find a PR and KR. I don't see any of the players we have developing into good returners.

OP
OP
J

jackflash50

Reaction score
No way on Crabtree. Don't want him. I would rather have buys like Baldwin & Kearse who bust there tails than someone with Crabtree's ability but lack of heart.
Iupati would be my #1 off season goal. Let Carp go & sign him.

McGruff

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3dxx2icz said:

I can see those two guys especially being pleasant surprises. It will be interesting to see Eric Pinkins as well.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Crabtree is nothing special... Iupati is a shell of his former self. I say "pass" on both of them. Maybe add a relatively cheap veteran receiver like Hakeem Nicks on a 1-year contract as depth. Hopefully, Matthews is not a one-game wonder and Norwood continues to develop... and maybe, just maybe we see Richardson back on the field before the season ends.

On D, what concerns me the most is the wear and tear on the BOOM in the Legion of Boom.... Kam and Earl.

I'm now concerned that they'll not see the ends of their current contracts... Kam's is up in 2017 and Earl's is up in 2018.

All of the healthy starters have played 56 games in the last three years. That's 3.5 game-seasons in 3.0 actual-seasons. Those extra games start to add up over time.

So I'd like to see the Hawks continue to back-fill the D with youth... young, fast draft choices.

OP
OP
J

jackflash50

Reaction score
Another guy who is a free agent & reminds me of Clint Mcdonald is Dwan Edwards. Not a sexy player but has a motor that doesn't quit and would look good in the 3rd down nascar package.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Can you edit this and put in some spacing. Id love to get on this topic but cant afford a headache today.

jblaze

Reaction score

Defense:

Much better...

seahawks3732

Reaction score
I still think biggest priority aside from figuring out the Beastmode situation, is getting an every down recieving threat. Whether that's a vertical threat TE or a playmaker on the outside we need something. Hopefully Matthews isn't a flash in the pan and can be used as our red zone threat player like a plaxico burress back in the day.

LTH

Reaction score
If the Hawks draft a WR he is not going to be real productive the first year as there is a huge learning curve... So really its up to they WR they have to step up for 2015, guys like Norwood, Mathews and Richardson...unless they sign a FA who has been in the league for a couple of years...

Once they get RW and ML done then they will have an idea of how much cap space they have.. I think the longer they wait the harder its gonna be.. that would be my top pryority...

they have ten picks in the draft, I dont see them making any big splashes in FA... I would load up on OL and DT in the draft where I dont know I just know that games are won and lost in the trenches... RW got sacked something like 42 times and if he wasnt a great scambler it would have been a lot more... OL injuries or not they need major competition there as well DT..

Its not sexy but it will make this team better

Just my take

LTH

marko358

Reaction score
LTH":16cdm4bd said:
If the Hawks draft a WR he is not going to be real productive the first year as there is a huge learning curve...

Our playbook doesn't seem overly complicated so I'm not sure why our WRs need more than a year to develop...I mean we run 60% of the time anyway. Why do other teams find receivers who can make an impact in year one?

Rat

Reaction score
Crabtree is a phenomenal route runner and has elite hands. If he's willing to be here, I don't see why we wouldn't want him. He has the history with Sherman, but that's hardly an unreconcilable thing. I wanted Crabtree BAD coming out of college (was chanting his name when we took Curry), it'd be interesting to see what he could do with a more consistent QB.