So if that was the worst play in Super Bowl History...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
What was the worst play before Super Bowl XLIX?

People are quick to say the call to pass was the worst call ever, but that's easy to say when you don't even know what the worst play ever before that was.

I am just curious because I have no idea either. Anyone have any ideas?

Omahawk

Reaction score
It reminds me of the Tennessee Titans game when they too lost the Super Bowl by a matter of inches. But my memory is like yours and I don't know if that was because of a poor call or not. For the record, I don't think it was a poor call.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Graham Gano (i think?) kicking it out of bounds on the last kickoff against the Patriots, giving them field position enough to win the game on a field goal?

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
Leon Lett getting caught from behind by Don Beebee & fumbling out of the endzone is probably a worse play, although the game was well in hand by that point.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Kurt Warner throwing the 100-yard pick-6 to James Harrison? Cardinals actually ran the same play. Pick-slant from the gun on the 2 yard line.

Probably cost them the game, too.

firebee

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2ha5g18m said:
DavidSeven":2ha5g18m said:
Kurt Warner throwing the 100-yard pick-6 to James Harrison? Cardinals actually ran the same play. Pick-slant from the gun on the 2 yard line.

Yea, lesson should have been learned from their fellow NFC West teams.

Do not to pass the football from the 1 or 2...

Pass the ball from the 1 or 2... Just don't throw it to the slants. It's never ever never ever the right call. If the receiver does make the catch, you got lucky... you didn't make the right call. You can use the slants to suck the outside guy in, so a throwing lane is opened up to the outs or the corner, but you don't throw to the slants from the 1 or 2 yard line... ever.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
It was no where near the worst play call. It just happened to have the worst outcome. There's a big difference

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":7l3i4kvd said:
Do not to pass the football from the 1 or 2...
Peyton Manning and Drew Brees laugh at this comment

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
It wasn't the worst play in Super Bowl history, it was the worst PLAY CALL.

You guys are listing botched plays. Totally different.

The seahawks called the worst play in Super Bowl history. Thats not the same thing as a play simply turning out horribly.

How many teams were 1 yard away from the Lombardi and choose NOT to go with their power runner and instead call a risky (riskier than most from 1 yard out) that gets intercepted to essentially end the game? Just one: the seahawks.

That play will be replayed for DECADES. That game will be remembered by most football fans while others are forgotten. That will always be remembered as the Super Bowl that ended with the worst play CALL in Super Bowl history.

As for the premise that you need to "know" what the worst play was before that: false.

When people can't even come up with anything REMOTELY as bad as that play CALL it speaks volumes as to how bad it was. That was the Michael Jordan of bad calls. You don't need to agree on who the best was before Jordan, you just knew that you were watching the greatest ever (up to that point).

1 yard. Marshawn Lynch. Consecutive Lombardis.

It is unlikely we will ever witness such horrific playcalling ever aga...wait...what's that? They're actually keeping that guy? Dear Lord.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2sr3zhjy said:

Good recall.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":13y5wgcf said:
DavidSeven":13y5wgcf said:

Good recall.

The big difference is Arizona had no timeouts, and no running game. But yeah.. proof that those plays aren't the best to run

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Way back when, I believe it was the Redskins who threw a screen pass at the end of the 2nd quarter, from their own end zone. It was picked off and ran in for a TD. Brutal call in a close game.

cheese22

Reaction score
What made this the worst play call in SB history has as much to do with the play itself as it does the situation...and the reaction. Cram 22 huge bodies into a small area, run a pattern against a huge db who already knows what's coming, have your qb throw a bullet between these bodies, hope it doesn't get knocked down at the los, hope it doesn't get tipped at the los and intercepted, hope it doesn't bounce off either the receiver or db and intercepted. I mean, I know you could say the same thing about a lot of other plays, but given the situation: one yard line, final minute of the sb and you need a td to win, I can't think of a worse play to call than this. Except maybe a fumbleroosky or double-reverse flea flicker.

The reference to the Arizona-Pittsburgh play a couple years ago is pretty spot on except they had no running game and they at least split their receiver wide enough to have a passing lane. That was a horrible play call, too. It just came at a completely different part of the game.

You can't say it wouldn't have been that big of a deal in a different situation because the situation is a HUGE factor in grading the play call.

I'm too competitive to say I've put this play behind me. I don't know what I'd do if I heard anyone on that team say they've put it behind them either. With one fatal decision, an entire season of work and emotions went down the crapper. A game was lost on that play call...a game that most players and 100% of the spectators will never get to experience first hand...let alone, walk away with a ring.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Didn't the niners have 1st and goal, game on the line, and throw 4 bad passes in a row to lose the game to the Ravens? They did this, despite being a great running team with Gore and Kaepernick.

The int in sb49 will be the Seahawks most memorable bad play in their history (hopefully forever), but I seriously doubt it's "the worst play in Super Bowl history," not that such a thing could be determined or agreed upon anyway.

Everybody, not just nowadays, thinks things from their era are the all time best or worst movie/song/play/hurricane/etc, because we all lack perspective, because we don't know or remember everything about everything that ever happened.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
Some distinction has to be made for the worst play-- any old play that may or may not have any bearing on the final outcome of the game-- and the worst play that directly leads to the outcome of the game. The Butler INT would fall into that latter definition. A play like that effectively ends the game. Would be great to get a list of those SB plays. Anyone want to sit down and watch (and take notes) 49 Super Bowls?

In terms of worst play for any team, the Butler INT would rank up there, considering the gravity of the situation at hand. It was essentially down to win or lose on that one play. Of course, the pass could have been completed short of the endzone, and Lynch could have run it in the next play, but the play ended up as "do or die."

Say what you want about the Patriots, but these guys always make a game of it in Super Bowls. Just once I wish they had the game in the bag in the third quarter so I could just enjoy the 4th without too much worry. Maybe next year.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Have we forgotten so easily that we stopped Green Bay twice when they were in "just punch it in" distance from the goal line? We had to throw to stop the clock , if not the first try, then the second. The play started well, you have all seen the still photo. The odds of the interception was I think a lot smaller than you realize.

So my answer, No it was not the dumbest call in Super Bowl history. But the results was by certain the most painful.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Garo Yepremian's pathetic attempt at a pass in Super Bowl VII. Dolphins D dominated the Racist Nicknames all day but that play gave Washington enough life that it could've cost the Phins the only uindefeated season in NFL history.

Jackie Smith dropping a sure TD pass for the Cowpies in Super Bowl XII likely costing them a win vs. the Stealers (they lost 35-31).

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":26s5peef said:
DavidSeven":26s5peef said:

Good recall.
Yeah, no kidding.