Competition at play caller

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Carroll has made competition the underlying philosophy of his program. The best players play, regardless of veteran status. And no player is immune to losing his starting spot if he is not helping the team achieve its ultimate objective.

I hope this philosophy of competition is applied to play caller next season. Carroll is not an offensive-minded coach, and in the past, has leaned more heavily on his offensive coordinator's judgment than is true for their defensive counterparts.

That being said, the most consistent facet of the offense over the last three years has been the running game, which is run by Tom Cable. Cable, who also has experience and success as a play caller, should be provided an opportunity to call the plays in practice and during the preseason.

This kind of competition will only make the play calling better, even if it just forces Bevell to raise the standard of his own play calling by becoming more fully attuned to the team's offensive philosophy.

netskier

Reaction score
Brilliant idea. Why not extend the opportunity to all of his coaches, perhaps on an ongoing basis?

I feel as if I could do better than Bevel, but know that I could not. I'll bet that some the staff would like a shot.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
netskier":246mk06f said:
Brilliant idea. Why not extend the opportunity to all of his coaches, perhaps on an ongoing basis?

I feel as if I could do better than Bevel, but know that I could not. I'll bet that some the staff would like a shot.

Cable is perhaps the most obvious choice because of the success of the running game and his experience as a play caller (Colorado, Idaho, UCLA, and the Raiders). Carl Smith might be another option as a former play caller for the Saints and Jaguars. If someone else thinks they can do it better, why not give them a shot during the preseason?

Even better, bring in a young offensive mind as an assistant, as there is no limit on the number of assistant coaches in the NFL, and let him compete for the job. There have to be some smart offensive minds out there eager for the opportunity to work with Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson, and Marshawn Lynch.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2ynt7yf2 said:
Anybody could do better than Bevell.

What I hope for is an OC who does not call running plays grudgingly, but rather does so purposefully as a part of his overall plan for the offense. Ideally, this will be someone who understands blocking schemes enough to know how and when to run the ball, and to set up the pass with play action, not just someone who will run the ball haphazardly because he has been told to do so. Improving offensive rhythm and recognizing on-field conditions and game flow should be the biggest priorities this off-season.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
hawknation2015":32cliotz said:
Zebulon Dak":32cliotz said:
Anybody could do better than Bevell.

What I hope for is an OC who does not call running plays grudgingly, but rather does so purposefully as a part of his overall plan for the offense. Ideally, this will be someone who understands blocking schemes enough to know how and when to run the ball, and to set up the pass with play action, not just someone who will run the ball haphazardly because he has been told to do so.

That would be ideal.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3g9q877u said:
Carroll has made competition the underlying philosophy of his program. The best players play, regardless of veteran status. And no player is immune to losing his starting spot if he is not helping the team achieve its ultimate objective.

I hope this philosophy of competition is applied to play caller next season. Carroll is not an offensive-minded coach, and in the past, has leaned more heavily on his offensive coordinator's judgment than is true for their defensive counterparts.

That being said, the most consistent facet of the offense over the last three years has been the running game, which is run by Tom Cable. Cable, who also has experience and success as a play caller, should be provided an opportunity to call the plays in practice and during the preseason.

This kind of competition will only make the play calling better, even if it just forces Bevell to raise the standard of his own play calling by becoming more fully attuned to the team's offensive philosophy.
Because Tom Cable is not a Quarterbacks Coach ,and you need the ability to meld your running game with the passing game, and Cables forte is in the run first philosophy.
I would think Pete Carroll realized that a long time ago, and hired Bevell, so as to fill his hand.
I don't know that Bevell is the final answer, though I doubt that you're going to get addition by subtraction.
I would have liked to have seen Jim Zorn in that capacity, but oh well.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2hxnwllk said:
hawknation2015":2hxnwllk said:

Because Tom Cable is not a Quarterbacks Coach ,and you need the ability to meld your running game with the passing game, and Cables forte is in the run first philosophy.
I would think Pete Carroll realized that a long time ago, and hired Bevell, so as to fill his hand.
I don't know that Bevell is the final answer, though I doubt that you're going to get addition by subtraction.

FYI, Cable ran a west coast offense at Idaho. His offenses at UCLA were also very strong in the passing game, in addition to the running game. I doubt you intended to say only QB Coaches make good OCs.

I agree on not getting addition by subtraction. There is basically zero reason to fire Bevell when he can still be an asset for game planning purposes and in-game recognition and adjustments.

JonRud

Reaction score
Obviously this will never happen but bring in MIKE HOLMGREN as the play caller. Now you have one of the best play callers in NFL History with one of the best defensive minds = DOMINATION.

AVL

Reaction score
It seems that after 3 seasons of screaming for Bevel to be fired with no success that one would move up the chain of

command and call for the head coaches head.

Everyone wants a head coach that listens to them, right?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
JonRud":3n8iuoap said:
Obviously this will never happen but bring in MIKE HOLMGREN as the play caller. Now you have one of the best play callers in NFL History with one of the best defensive minds = DOMINATION.

I don't see why not. It would be amazing.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2jnz3hvz said:
JonRud":2jnz3hvz said:

Because Holmgren's ego would never allow him to be just a part of a group of offensive coaches under some other OC and HC.

And because Holmgren himself would have to be reminded time and time again to call running plays.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
volsunghawk":23colnh7 said:
hawknation2015":23colnh7 said:
JonRud":23colnh7 said:

Because Holmgren's ego would never allow him to be just a part of a group of offensive coaches under some other OC and HC.

And because Holmgren himself would have to be reminded time and time again to call running plays.

And because Russell Wilson is a square peg Holmgren would continually insist on trying to shove in a round hole.

firebee

Reaction score
hawknation2015":30m1zexp said:
scutterhawk":30m1zexp said:
hawknation2015":30m1zexp said:

FYI, Cable ran a west coast offense at Idaho. His offenses at UCLA were also very strong in the passing game, in addition to the running game. I doubt you intended to say only QB Coaches make good OCs.

I agree on not getting addition by subtraction. There is basically zero reason to fire Bevell when he can still be an asset for game planning purposes and in-game recognition and adjustments.

No... I want Bevell Gone. I'm sick of the impact he has on this offense. I'm sick of his cutesy gimmicky crap. I'm sick of his plain jane routes and route combinations. You have to wonder how much influence he had on bringing Harvin into Seattle in the first place. The guy has been a big negative for this offense.

Norm Chow - Having a horrible run as HC in Hawaii. Was a stud OC for Carroll at USC and is extremely familiar with the offense. I would love us to dump Bevell and hire on Chow as OC. Don't think you'd get any arguments from Cable on that hire.

Randy Sanders - Assistant OC / QB Coach for Florida State. Not familiar with the system, but he is a great QB coach and if he can make Winston look good, imagine what he could do with Wilson.

Charlie Weis - From the same line as PC, coached with him in 97. Fired from Kansas. Looking for a job. Wouldn't mind seeing what he could bring to the table as an OC at the pro level. Made Quinn look like a stud at Notre Dame.

James Cregg - Currently an assistant OC / OL Coach for the Broncos. Coached for USC, familiar with the system and the reason why Cable hates Lane Kiffin. Stole Cregg from the Raiders while Cable was coaching when he got the HC position at USC.

seabowl

Reaction score
Most obvious Bevell brain fart of a play call outside of the SB. Empty backfield inside the 1 or 2. Don't recall the game but it happened this year. Ridiculous.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I think we should fire Paul Allan. He hired PC, who in turn hired Bevell.

Maybe all the Bevell haters should pool their money and buy the Seahawks....simple.

And because sooooooo many people here are smarter than Pete or Bevell, we will never have a failed play, or ever lose a game. Dynasty! Do it!!

:roll:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
JonRud":1i8swlig said:

Mike would get Russell killed behind this OL.