Where do we get a REAL TE?????

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Seriously doubt Miller will be here, even IF he were healthy to play, which he never is. BUT

Can you imagine if we had a TE that could catch the ball, HE would have run that slant, instead of Lockette, and most TE would never have been knocked away from the ball like Lockett was.

Seriously, where in the hell can we get us a Gronk?

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Marlin Man":25ratkev said:
Seriously doubt Miller will be here, even IF he were healthy to play, which he never is. BUT

Can you imagine if we had a TE that could catch the ball, HE would have run that slant, instead of Lockette, and most TE would never have been knocked away from the ball like Lockett was.

Even if we had Gronk, he would be on the line blocking because our OL is a revolving door. A TE without a OL that can block is useless.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marlin Man":23yep19h said:

Doesn't make any sense to put a TE in for Lockette on that play. If anything you'd put a TE in for Kearse on that play, but you don't do that, because it's the equivalent of screaming from the rooftops what you're planning on doing.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1wiuvp3o said:
Marlin Man":1wiuvp3o said:

Doesn't make any sense to put a TE in for Lockette on that play. If anything you'd put a TE in for Kearse on that play, but you don't do that, because it's the equivalent of screaming from the rooftops what you're planning on doing.

Apparently, the college ranks of Power forwards, they don't have to shoot, but to move well and catch a ball.

remember back in the old days, they always drooled at the idea of Lonnie Shelton as a Seahawk TE.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Marlin Man":1zu930uk said:

Considering he's far and away the best TE in football.. it's pretty apparent guys like Gronk are harder to come by than guys like Miller and the like.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd like to see us go after either Jordan Cameron or Jermaine Gresham.

Gresham's a free agent, and would be a dramatic upgrade athletically. Cameron's upside is bigger, but I'd be worried about his concussion issues. One more and the dude's gonna have to sit for half a season.

I also think the Browns are going to franchise him if he balks at a small extension, as they have plenty of cap space and the franchise tag for TE's is pretty cheap, like 7M.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Why spend money on receivers when Lynch the go to man? Just use that money on extra blockers.

jblaze

Reaction score
We need a decent pass catching TE for a lot of reasons. In the SB it was painfully clear, we had no middle of the field option and same with the red zone.

Miller is very good in blocking and doing the underrated things. I'd like to keep Miller for the last year of his contract and a pass catcher for those situations. Gresham and Cameron are the obvious choices but they'll both be heavily courted.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":668hmok2 said:

Gresham's a free agent, and would be a dramatic upgrade athletically. Cameron's upside is bigger, but I'd be worried about his concussion issues. One more and the dude's gonna have to sit for half a season.

I also think the Browns are going to franchise him if he balks at a small extension, as they have plenty of cap space and the franchise tag for TE's is pretty cheap, like 7M.

We have a Jordan Cameron on the roster.. his name is Luke Willson

Cameron is vastly overrated and has a concussion history as you alluded to. Like Darrell Bevell at the 1 yard line, I'll pass.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":359en08s said:
Sgt. Largent":359en08s said:

We have a Jordan Cameron on the roster.. his name is Luke Willson

Cameron is vastly overrated and has a concussion history as you alluded to. Like Darrell Bevell at the 1 yard line, I'll pass.

I won't argue with the concussion issue, definitely concerning. But IMO Cameron is a superior TE to Willson, in just about every aspect of the position...........when healthy, which again I know would be super risky.

LTH

Reaction score
Devin Funchess from Michigan?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Draft someone. Go to a college hooops game and find the next Jimmy Graham.

If neither of those work.....Charles Clay. Not sure how much money he will demand, but in the right system he could be a top 5 TE in this league.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Charles Clay is a fa from Miami. H-blocker type TE who can block but stands only at 6'3, 255 with 33 inch arms.

In the last two years. Clay has caught 127 passes for 1364 Yards and 9 TDs. In his 4 year career, he has 15 TDs. 14 rec, 1 rushing.

Miami will likely re-sign him though.

I also wouldnt mind taking low cost flyers on Lance Kendricks (STL) or Rob Housler (ARI).

Bryce84

Reaction score
We're never going to have a TE that puts up Gronk-stats, even if we were able to clone him, because the offensive line is a weakness especially in the pass game. Miller is a terrific all-around TE in this league, probably top 5 at worst (behind Gronk, Witten and maybe Olsen) in that aspect, that often gets more flak here than he deserves. I don't like this "injury prone" label being tossed on him either, he'd missed 3 games total in his tenure here prior to this season. In the NFL, I'd say that's pretty durable. Miller has terrific hands though and his only real weakness is that he doesn't have elite speed, it's not his fault the system doesn't dictate him to be the #1 receiving option like he was in OAK. It is hard to find TEs of his caliber, and Willson hasn't shown the capability to fill his shoes yet. I could maybe see Moeaki being that guy with a full offseason with this team, but talk about injury prone... that label suits him way more than Zach.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone also bring up the fact that in addition to not a lot of cap space to sign a #1 TE, it's been very hard to attract TE's to Seattle because they know their production will plummet and they'll be blocking 50-60% of the time.

Miller was an exception because he loves the run game/blocking part of his game (and we paid him a lot of money). But all these other guys are catching TE's first, and blockers 2nd.

So hard to say to a top TE free agent............ "hey come to Seattle, take less pay and btw you'll only catch 30 balls, 4 TD's and I hope you like to block a lot!"

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Maxx Williams is THE guy. Excellent blocker, athletic guy, great hands, great kid

Did I say we should draft him?