Okung huge whiff before the interception

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Saw this watching the drive back on Wednesday. Hugh Millen pointed out in his rant. On the Lynch run on first and goal it's a walk in touchdown. Perfect execution with Tukuafu lead blocking to create the hole. Lynch has a wide open lane. He is going in untouched. And Okung, who initially has total leverage against Dont'a Hightower, lets Hightower get away and get enough of Lynch to bring him down. If Okung finishes that block it's 31-28 with a minute to go. And then it's defense vs Brady. No guarantee to win but a guarantee to avoid that heartbreaking ending.

And yeah I know we need to move on, I just think stuff like this is important when there's so much over analysis of the 2nd down play call and execution. Millen is right. If we want to argue for run vs pass and then lament the execution in the passing game -- that was a big error by Okung.

jkitsune

Reaction score
The problem with a loss like this (just like GB experienced in the NFCCG) is that, by its very nature, any game that is this close is going to have a ton of plays that could've gone either way that would've prevented the heartbreaking ending. This is just another one, but Kearse's drop, the missed trip, and several others also file in there.

The last play is the most dramatic, and easiest to second guess. But it's not the only one. Same with Bostick on the onsides.

Either way, pointing all of these out just makes it worse IMO.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
So many things. Sports eh?

You need to let it go through, between this and the Wilson not running it thread I'm getting worried about you. Go scout Quinten Rollins and DeAndre Smelter and tell me what you think.

dradee

Reaction score
It not called a game of inches for nothing!

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
jkitsune":3nlvsygi said:

Possibly. I also think there's a case to be made for highlighting them and ending some of the OTT reaction to the fateful final inteception.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":fdnvg828 said:
Saw this watching the drive back on Wednesday. Hugh Millen pointed out in his rant. On the Lynch run on first and goal it's a walk in touchdown. Perfect execution with Tukuafu lead blocking to create the hole. Lynch has a wide open lane. He is going in untouched. And Okung, who initially has total leverage against Dont'a Hightower, lets Hightower get away and get enough of Lynch to bring him down. If Okung finishes that block it's 31-28 with a minute to go. And then it's defense vs Brady. No guarantee to win but a guarantee to avoid that heartbreaking ending.

And yeah I know we need to move on, I just think stuff like this is important when there's so much over analysis of the 2nd down play call and execution. Millen is right. If we want to argue for run vs pass and then lament the execution in the passing game -- that was a big error by Okung.

I was just thinking about that play. I appreciate the post. Marshawn was running strong. I didn't notice and don't know if I have it left in me to go back and see that. Ugh. This is our "Buckner" game. Only, there's no further opportunity with a game 7. So, it's worse.

I was watching a bit of the replay of the game today. Do me a favor... if you have access to see it, look at the 3rd and 14 at about the 10 minute mark. Center #66 Bryan Stork? hooks over Michael Bennett's shoulder and keeps it wrapped around his arm (nearly and arm bar), pushes him to the outside (creating the lane for Brady to step up and hit Edelman for the 1st down). The interior lineman initially double-teamed Bennett, but the LG? broke off and sealed the other side. Looks to me like Bennett gets to Brady easily (with Irvin in hot pursuit around the edge) if not for #66.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that technically holding (hands must be inside)? It's pretty bad if I see what I think I'm seeing. I know Edelman got up and ran (after being down.) But, I think the DB's and (Wright?) are pointing back to the Patriots not because he was down, but how they held Bennett and should have been called back.

Dang, that was a huge play that kept the Patriots alive and they scored on that play. Now, I actually think Lockette got his foot turned inside and just fell without contact by Butler on a later drive. I know Collinsworth said there was contact, but I didn't see much, if any, slowing down the replay. Watch the 3rd and 14, though.

timmat

Reaction score
Although my first reaction to the ending of this game was that play calling sunk us, we can see that there were some serious player execution issues during the final two plays, when it counted most. Finish that block Okung. Win off the line of scrimmage Kearse. Put the ball on the reciever's body Wilson. Attack the ball Lockette. Unfortunately, I think we score if even just one of these four things happen.

On top of it, that particular pass play was too high risk with too few options for Wilson.

I think Okung is a solid player, but not elite. Curious how we - and other teams - value him when his deal is up.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
jkitsune":3lhksmwh said:
The problem with a loss like this (just like GB experienced in the NFCCG) is that, by its very nature, any game that is this close is going to have a ton of plays that could've gone either way that would've prevented the heartbreaking ending. This is just another one, but Kearse's drop, the missed trip, and several others also file in there.

The last play is the most dramatic, and easiest to second guess. But it's not the only one. Same with Bostick on the onsides.

I agree that there are several plays that could be pointed to and I think the pivotal play was 3rd and 14 with about 10 minutes left. I wondered how Brady was able to suddenly step up into the pocket. Check out my other post. But, it played out and came down to that last drive that ended a 1/2 yard too short. That's the defining play of the game because pretty much everyone watching around the world saw it ending differently.

Doesn't define the Seahawks (at least not yet), but it's part of the unfolding history and will be forever attached to the franchise. Hoping for a response from the team similar to the heartbreak in Atlanta 2012. THAT would be tremendous to right the ship. All of the "we will be stronger and respond" quotes are just talk until and unless they can do that. If they don't, it gets worse.

djb28

Reaction score
dradee":30ph96qg said:
True. But no one notices the inches until you lose a close one.

I can not believe how long the media is spinning this game. Everyday crap keeps popping up.
I am over it.

Last night A guy in the store pointed to my hat and said. "They Lost"

Really Einstein? I thought.

Instead I tried to confuse him.
I said we won , I am not sure what game you watched.
He actually looked confused. I Left it at that.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
That whiffed block probably would have been a blessing in disguise if they just run the ball in on 2nd down. As you said, Brady would have had more than enough time to get the Pats back into FG range

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I was glad to stop at the 1 and burn time,I like most thought it would be a no brainer for the Beast or Wilson to get in there with their legs but it just didn't happen..We can rehash all we want but it just wasn't meant to be..We gave it our best shot with a badly injured d and still had a great chance at the end..I'm just so happy the zebras didn't have anything to do with this game and I am proud of the guys for the no quit against GB and NE..

HawkFan72

Reaction score
At the time, I was happy Lynch didn't get in.

Brady was shredding our D, so getting into FG range with a minute left seemed totally possible.

I assumed lynch would get the next couple plays to get in.

Now I just wish he had scored on 1st down.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
djb28":1jyxhahx said:
dradee":1jyxhahx said:
True. But no one notices the inches until you lose a close one.

I can not believe how long the media is spinning this game. Everyday crap keeps popping up.
I am over it.

Last night A guy in the store pointed to my hat and said. "They Lost"

Really Einstein? I thought.

Instead I tried to confuse him.
I said we won , I am not sure what game you watched.
He actually looked confused. I Left it at that.

I've allowed a week to hold my tongue and not respond to that sort of thing. But, I think my response henceforth shall be "Do you like Jazz?" Bruce Nolan (Jim Carrey) can play some mighty impressive high notes.

jkitsune

Reaction score
HawkFan72":13uue8p0 said:
At the time, I was happy Lynch didn't get in.

Brady was shredding our D, so getting into FG range with a minute left seemed totally possible.

I assumed lynch would get the next couple plays to get in.

Now I just wish he had scored on 1st down.

This is why I hate it (most of the time) when people suggest players should take a knee on the 1 to burn time, 'because you're going to score anyways.'

If you're already head and can kneel out the clock, it's one thing, but if you're behind and need that score...

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":14fmzvhb said:
That whiffed block probably would have been a blessing in disguise if they just run the ball in on 2nd down. As you said, Brady would have had more than enough time to get the Pats back into FG range

Not if Belichick calls the timeout (he should've done... even though they won).

After all, would rather be sitting here saying "Oh well, Brady is awesome and our DEF was hurt" than cursing every time the interception pops into my head.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":34h0cvvz said:
Hasselbeck":34h0cvvz said:

Not if Belichick calls the timeout (he should've done... even though they won).

After all, would rather be sitting here saying "Oh well, Brady is awesome and our DEF was hurt" than cursing every time the interception pops into my head.

Bill Simmons brought up an interesting point that he thinks Belichick intentionally didn't call the timeout to screw with the coaching staff. He's a pretty big Patriots homer, to the point where it's insufferable at times.. but that theory isn't as far fetched as it would seen. I think Belichick figured instead of calling a timeout to let them adjust he'd see what a young team would do in the waning moments of the biggest game in their careers. That play was a disaster as they were lining up.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
It is a game of inches, and "what ifs". and its what makes watching NFL football so great. And why we don't watch golf, tennis, soccer,

kearly

Reaction score
I would have much rather had 2nd and goal from the one with 26 seconds to go than a 3 point lead and a minute for New England to work with. I would guess that Lynch getting tackled at the 1 actually boosted Seattle's win probability.