Seahawks’ 12th Man license expires next year

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.krem.com/story/sports/nfl/seahawks/2015/02/06/seahawks-texas-a-and-m-12th-man/23021803/

Say...Did you guys know the Bills use it too? Anyways, how much you think Paul will have to pay now?

The university's agreement with the Seahawks will expire next year. Texas A&M says they've already begun negotiations and would like to continue the licensing agreement – within reason.

"We are not as focused on financial as we are the overall protection of the brand," said Hinckley.

Aggies living in Seattle say they believe there is room for more than one digit.

"It really represents the City of Seattle now. People know who that is and I think that's cool. It doesn't bother me now," said Holden.

Texas A&M says there have been more than 550 infringement cases since it trademarked the "12th Man." The Buffalo Bills are the only other NFL franchise licensed to use the phrase.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
You always can do 11+1 or 24/2 or 3x4 13-1 or 144/12, etc. But just a plain old 12 looks best.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Just call us the 12's and stuff the payment of the rights to The 12th man.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":1v3j6taa said:
Just call us the 12's and stuff the payment of the rights to The 12th man.

screw them

12thbrah

Reaction score
Let the "12th Man" go. I like how Carroll and the players call us the "Twelves"

HawaiiD

Reaction score
Just plain "12's" is simple enough. Thats what most of the coaches and players refer to us anyways.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Biggest non-story ever. We've been paying $5000 a year for the license. Even if they want to add 2 zero's to the end of that and charge 100X more, I'm sure one of the richest men in America can find the cash to pay for it if he deems it valuable

BullHawk33

Reaction score
This is exactly why the team has been moving from referring to the 12th Man to just 12's. The Twelfth Man is patented but the Seahawks have been moving to just the number 12 for a long time.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Paul Allen will have to pay as much as he feels it is worth to neutralize a flimsy potential lawsuit. Otherwise, go to court, nuke the trademark and file to force A&M to pay his lawyers.

There's a reason the morons at A&M are saying "is not about the money, it's about the brand." Because there is no brand. And these geniuses at one of the country's lesser excuses for a university, even with their rather tenuous grip of trademark law, realize how ludicrous that notion really is. They hope by using the word "brand" in press releases, they'll actually fool some of the other geniuses in TX into actually believing they are trademarking a real product.

Otherwise, the court sees it for what it is - a cheap attempt at trademarking a common use term in order to extort companies who primarily wish to avoid the expense of an actual lawsuit.

Every time this issue comes up, it's an embarrassment to the national joke that is the Texas educational system.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
crucifyd":1b1waarn said:
"12s" sounds...ridiculous

IMO "12th Man" sounds pretty ridiculous too. Great concept, but any way you slice it, it's a lame name. :stirthepot:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
BullHawk33":33aeze2g said:
This is exactly why the team has been moving from referring to the 12th Man to just 12's. The Twelfth Man is patented but the Seahawks have been moving to just the number 12 for a long time.

I get the impression that the "12's" phrase is more PC because the "12th Man" is more male sounding.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":24f4su0g said:
BullHawk33":24f4su0g said:

I get the impression that the "12's" phrase is more PC because the "12th Man" is more male sounding.

That is so Seattle.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1i1khzrv said:
BullHawk33":1i1khzrv said:

Oh and what you would have stepped into saying that in the Shack, in fact I should send myself a warning for just thinking about saying it. :)