Play clock timeouts

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Hi all,

If I missed this in all of the rehashing from Sunday's game, I'm sorry, but don't you agree that it was odd and harmful that the Hawks twice had to burn a timeout in the final 2 minutes because the play clock was running down? What was going on there? And how crucial would it have been to be sitting on 3 timeouts and the ball at the 1 -- perhaps then it is a no-brainer to just keep feeding the Beast.

The only explanation I heard from Pete was following the Kearse juggling catch when he said time was burnt as they were watching the replays to make sure Jermaine caught the ball. But I find that a very non-assertive approach. Why take a wait-and-see attitude when the ruling on the field was that it was a catch. Heck, Kearse even got out of bounds to stop the clock. The offense should have hustled up to the 5 to run the eventual play where Marshawn got down to the 1.

Then they'd be sitting pretty with all 3 of their timeouts left. Just my take.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
As I've said on previous threads, I don't think this is actually fair on the Seahawks.

1st TO = agreed, not necessary

2nd TO = This was caused by the madness of the play, exacerbated by people initially thinking it wasn't caught, and would most likely be reviewed. Compounded further by being a 30+yard pass play which often causes offenses to be late on the play clock. Add in the fact that PC at this time would be wanting to burn as much time as possible given the clock was winding at 1m 30 at this point. I have no problem in not rushing and then taking the TO when the clock had run down and we weren't happy.

No matter how many times we re-cut this thing it comes down to the throw into traffic, end of.

I've heard about Okung whiffing on the block previous play - well Brady with a minute left would most likely have got into FG range and maybe more given our hurting defense

I've heard about Kearse's 3rd down drop - Was actually great coverage by Butler (not the only time)

Trip on Lockette - its hard to see the contact to be honest

It all comes down to the playcall from that situation. Give me that exact situation for any game we are playing and I'd take it before kickoff. No blame anywhere else

brimsalabim

Reaction score
On the first time out it looked as if Russ was screaming for the snap. I've never heard an explanation as to what occurred there.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
On the Kearse catch, he was out of bounds at 1:06. The clock stopped. It did not start again. The Seahawks rushed down the field and most, including Wilson, were seen around the 10 yard line with 31 seconds left on the play clock. The camera cut away and then the next thing we see is Wilson calling timeout with three seconds left on the play clock.

Somehow, the Seahawks just were not able to get off a play when they appeared to be down the field, ready to huddle and had over 30 seconds to get it done. They were not using up any of the game clock - it was not running. They were there. They had over 30 seconds. They just didn't get it done. I can't really imagine why the "will it be reviewed?" idea should have caused any delay. If anything, the Seahawks would have wanted to get the play off before being reviewed.

IMO, burning that timeout (or the preceding one) is the direct cause that led to not having the option to run the ball three times (after the first down play) if needed. Especially since they apparently chose to bleed the clock after the first down play.

Not having one more timeout could very well be the reason for not having one more ring.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The whole series of events leading to the 'play call' were a series of unfortunate issues that changed the outcome of the situation leading to the team getting to a situation where the OC outsmarted himself and gave away a 2nd consecutive championship. Re-watching although the contact was hard to see on Lockette, it was still a foul. The timeout was taken b/c the call wasn't in from Bevell, then a solid run from Beastand the team has to make a decision. It was a bad call by Bevell who proved then, leading up to, and after the call failed he is not ready or worthy of being a HC. I remain upset by this call and think Pete could do better with another OC. Most serious to me is the offloading of blame by Bevell on the WR.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":3at4jky4 said:
On the Kearse catch, he was out of bounds at 1:06. The clock stopped. It did not start again. The Seahawks rushed down the field and most, including Wilson, were seen around the 10 yard line with 31 seconds left on the play clock. The camera cut away and then the next thing we see is Wilson calling timeout with three seconds left on the play clock.

Somehow, the Seahawks just were not able to get off a play when they appeared to be down the field, ready to huddle and had over 30 seconds to get it done. They were not using up any of the game clock - it was not running. They were there. They had over 30 seconds. They just didn't get it done. I can't really imagine why the "will it be reviewed?" idea should have caused any delay. If anything, the Seahawks would have wanted to get the play off before being reviewed.

IMO, burning that timeout (or the preceding one) is the direct cause that led to not having the option to run the ball three times (after the first down play) if needed. Especially since they apparently chose to bleed the clock after the first down play.

Not having one more timeout could very well be the reason for not having one more ring.
Thank you SilverHawk, my thoughts exactly. The commotion of the Kearse catch and subsequent replays didn't allow us to see what was going on real time on TV. But with the game clock stopped because Kearse got out of bounds, there was no need to burn that time out. And as you mentioned, the fact that we only had one timeout remaining and the coaching staff let that come into their thought process as to how to conserve that sole remaining timeout, changed the whole dynamic of the conclusion of the game and led to 'the play.' I don't think enough attention is being payed to that aspect of the finish ... why were we put in the position where we even had to think about throwing a damn pass.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I don't disagree but I have to ask again what happened to cause the first time out on that drive? As I recall Russell was calling for the snap but Unger never delivered the ball? Has any one said why he failed to snap the ball?

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1re1orxm said:
I don't disagree but I have to ask again what happened to cause the first time out on that drive? As I recall Russell was calling for the snap but Unger never delivered the ball? Has any one said why he failed to snap the ball?

Good question.

The team was lined up, with 15 seconds left on the play clock. Wilson was looking things over and might have been changing the play, I don't know. He seemed to be barking something out. Maybe he was trying to confirm something for the linemen. Bottom-line: it looked like at least 3 of the linemen, including Unger, had no idea what was going on or when the snap was supposed to occur. It looked like Wilson wanted the ball at the end but Unger wasn't ready to snap it. Another goof-up of some kind that cost the Hawks dearly, it would seem.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Apologies I made an error in my earlier post when I said the clock was winding when Kearse went out of bounds, of course it had stopped at 1:06

Still think the commotion of the play contributed to the timeout, the TV broadcast was clearly not ready for a play to happen as they cut back to the action as Russell was calling TO.

Bit of panic and uncertainty regarding the playcall and with over 1m left, and 2 TOs, there was no reason not to take one and think about the series of playcalls