Biggest change for 2015

blkhwk

Reaction score
To me the theme for 2015 needs to be "atttention to detail"

Think about all the hair pulling crap that falls into this category...... just a few

Pre-snap penalties: both offense and defense

Getting plays in quicker so no loss of time outs due to play clock issues.

Blowing assignments..... without knowing exactly who has responsibility for coverages etc. if felt like last season there were guys looking at each other like there was confusion or a free runner coming at Wilson due to a blocking assignment being screwed up. could even say this was true on that faithful passing play with Lockette not selling his route, Kearse not getting off his jam.

Finishing blocks: Okung finishes his block on 1 & goal from the five, Marshawn runs it in on first down

Dropping passes

etc.....

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I'm sure that Pete and the Coaching staff spend hours and hours going over those small details. The major challenge is that the NFL now limits the number of hours the team can spend together prior to Training Camp in July.

Mick063

Reaction score
Pass rush, takeaways, and return game.

That is the big difference from 2013-2014. The blowouts from that season were due in large part to the defense/special teams putting the offense in great position or scoring themselves. The big improvement on the defensive side was Bobby Wagner. I personally believe that pass rush contributes heavily toward takeaways and the primary reason they were way down.

The offense was actually better. Especially the run game.

netskier

Reaction score
Agree, and depth, depth, and more depth will achieve those goals.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Start with a new OC, the old one needs to be 86'ed. That is the glaringly obvious weak link to this team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
netskier":1yxghss7 said:
Agree, and depth, depth, and more depth will achieve those goals.
True, but the salary cap is designed to take away your depth. If SB 49 was played with a healthy super bowl 48's roster, Seattle wins by at least 14 points.

Hyak

Reaction score
Mick063":2f4evvjf said:
Pass rush, takeaways, and return game.

That is the big difference from 2013-2014. The blowouts from that season were due in large part to the defense/special teams putting the offense in great position or scoring themselves. The big improvement on the defensive side was Bobby Wagner. I personally believe that pass rush contributes heavily toward takeaways and the primary reason they were way down.

The offense was actually better. Especially the run game.

I agree with this for the most part. I do think, however, that the running game was skewed by RW running more and part of that was due to a regression of the receiver talent around him. They never adequately replaced Tate's production and Miller missed a lot more time than he did in 2013.

timmat

Reaction score
I would like to see our offense play like they MUST move the ball on every series. It seems that when we are absolutely forced to move the ball and score, we get ourselves into position nearly every time. But this movement seems to not come until it's at a critical state. In the beginning of games, our offense plays to our defense. I hope the O can play to their own potential without consideration for our D, or it being early in a game.

Maybe give our D at least a little breathing room early in games. Maybe we'd get back to blowing some teams out.

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1e3gcvgn said:
I'm sure that Pete and the Coaching staff spend hours and hours going over those small details. The major challenge is that the NFL now limits the number of hours the team can spend together prior to Training Camp in July.

One would hope and assume time was spent on all the little things. I went back and looked at every game, drive by drive and I have to disagree with your statement about training camp being the reason. If that were true, things like pre-snap penalties would go down as the season went on. However, they did not. 'Hawks were called for a false start in every game but the opener and the first SF game. Defense jumped off sides every game but three. In the playoffs when teams should be their sharpest, 9 pre-snap penalties. This is just the pre-snap penalties I didn't have a way to look at drops or time outs used due to play clock issues etc.

Maybe it hasn't been that big of an issue, when you have talent and depth that the 'Hawks have had over the past couple of years, it may not be as emphasized as it should. With the roster getting picked over by other teams through FA, there are the things that need to be cleaned up to stay successful.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
My change is don't pretend to take a dump in the end zone and pretend it's funny and doesn't hurt the team.

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3a2u27bb said:
My change is don't pretend to take a dump in the end zone and pretend it's funny and doesn't hurt the team.

Good call, that fits into the theme of this post..... details, details, details.......play a touch smarter!!!! taunting penalties included

jblaze

Reaction score
To me our biggest need is the passing game options. It was our biggest need last offseason and it will be again this offseason.

We were getting Percy healthy and he was expected to be a big part of our passing attack and we still went out and drafted two WR's. Well Percy is gone, Richardson is probably on the PUP to start the season and Norwood has been non-existent for the most part. TE was a weakness in the SB and we have no one to stretch the field or win one on one matchups at all.

I don't think we can attract any FA's nor should we. We probably draft another WR fairly high, maybe two and a TE.

RW needs options and just throwing the deep fade can only go so far. When they can bump and run your WR's with single man on man coverage, your run game will suffer. We need to keep defenses honest and make them shift coverages to a playmaking WR or TE a bit more.

Beyond normal stuff like depth and a return game of some sort, I think this is most critical.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
If he could be had cheaply, does anyone think that a CJ Spiller would fit, he's a great kick off returner and can be an excellent change of pace RB.

That said, his proneness to injuries is a concern, but played sparingly, could minimize injury chance.

jblaze

Reaction score
Bobblehead":wo2fofc5 said:
If he could be had cheaply, does anyone think that a CJ Spiller would fit, he's a great kick off returner and can be an excellent change of pace RB.

That said, his proneness to injuries is a concern, but played sparingly, could minimize injury chance.

CJ won't come cheap, he's a pretty good player and would serve a team well in a 2 back setup but we already have a good #2 and #3 on the team.

I think we draft our returner in the 4-5th rounds as our second WR taken this draft. Our return game was terrible this year after an amazing 2013 so I think they address it directly.

Towards the end of the year, I was just praying that Baldwin would not take it out of the end zone and Walters would just fair catch everything. Very sketchy.

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
jblaze":2mas2bj9 said:
To me our biggest need is the passing game options. It was our biggest need last offseason and it will be again this offseason.

We were getting Percy healthy and he was expected to be a big part of our passing attack and we still went out and drafted two WR's. Well Percy is gone, Richardson is probably on the PUP to start the season and Norwood has been non-existent for the most part. TE was a weakness in the SB and we have no one to stretch the field or win one on one matchups at all.

I don't think we can attract any FA's nor should we. We probably draft another WR fairly high, maybe two and a TE.

RW needs options and just throwing the deep fade can only go so far. When they can bump and run your WR's with single man on man coverage, your run game will suffer. We need to keep defenses honest and make them shift coverages to a playmaking WR or TE a bit more.

Beyond normal stuff like depth and a return game of some sort, I think this is most critical.

Don't count Norwood out, he came into camp with an injury, assuming he is healthy, I see big things from him in 2015

jblaze

Reaction score
blkhwk":3jg1n58n said:
jblaze":3jg1n58n said:

Don't count Norwood out, he came into camp with an injury, assuming he is healthy, I see big things from him in 2015

Man I hope so. I loved him at Alabama and thought he would fit well with our scheme here. Would love to see big things from him next year!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Do I have to settle on one? How about I rank them:

1. Add an impact player. At this point, I don't really care where. Seattle has gone 2 years without anything new to show for their efforts. We did manage to hold onto much of our talent. Which was a big win. But the new additions are still a bit underwhelming. We have a LOT of expensive talent on the roster that will need to be plowed under from a cap perspective. Getting replacements for some of those players has to factor in this year and next. I'd much rather get a player who will allow us to reload, rather than get a dud player for a position of perceived need. This is a team that has been a top 4 in the NFL type squad for 3 years running. Need is very relative when you're a team that is founded on being deep with a breadth of talent.

2. Roll over some of the mundane/talents now approaching second deals. 2015 is an easy year on the cap. 2016 is going to be a blood letting. We need to replace players/salaries that are rather painlessly cut with some cheaper rookie talent. Kearse was great as an undrafted/cheap player. He's not so attractive at 2.5m per year. Carpenter is maligned, although I think he's above average. But his position is one that you can live with a lesser talent. Spending 3m a year to keep an arguably slightly above average guy is excessive.

3. Continued development of the 2013/14 class. Lots of guys are going to need to make that next leap. Jordan Hill. Norwood. Marsh. Simon. Bailey. KPL. These are guys that need to take that next step. Doing so means 2016 looks much easier to stomach.

4. Improve either 3rd down offense or pass rush. We suffered mightily with the loss of Clinton McDonald to start the year. Jordan Hill really emerged as a very quality pass rusher when paired with a dominant rusher (Bennett). When Hill went down, our pass rush basically evaporated immediately. Seattle needs to be in a position to overcome the random injury. Marsh could help in this regard. But ultimately, Seattle suffered because our DL rotation went from 6-8 deep to 5-6 deep. Bennett and Avril both are more effective if they can be spelled. But their snaps grew enormously -- even before injuries beset the corps. We probably need one good pass rusher and one or two depth players who can take the load off Avril and Bennett and reserve them for impact downs.

Our 3rd down offense was not very good. It was pretty average really. I've done a pretty exhaustive study on 3rd down efficacy and how it relates to our success. We basically teetered on the 11 year average of the NFL in terms of conversion rates per down. But we suffered significantly on 3rd and long situations comparatively to the league average. What's worse, is that 54% of all our third downs were 3rd and 7 or more. Which is significantly more than the league average. So Seattle really lost the money down.

What stings more, is that while Seattle had a 42% rate of scoring per drive. In drives where we converted at least one third down saw our scoring rate balloon to 60%.

Seattle was above the average for converting 3rd and short (1,2 or 3) as one would expect. But merely 26% of the 3rd downs we faced were of this variety. Nearly 3/4s of our 3rd downs were distances where we were at or below the average for all NFL teams dating back to 2000.

Obviously there are multiple ways to improve our 3rd down offense. Right now, we don't have a quality chain mover player who can reliably get first down receptions in the 5-10 yard range. Getting a quality TE to work the middle or a quality WR who can either get open quickly or make tough/contested catches would work. I tend to think that Seattle is never going to utilize a player who can body/block out space to create catch opportunities to the fullest. We are overly careful with the ball and I don't see Russell throwing into coverage and letting his WR do his thing. I'm just not hopeful that getting a big red zone type target will have the kind of impact for us, that they might for a team that takes more risks with the ball.

We take a lot of sacks. Whether that's by bad pass pro or by Wilson's style. We take a lot of them. And when we do, they really kill our drives. When we take a sack on first or second down, our conversion rate for that series is less than the league average for converting a 3rd down and 15. It's around 16%. The league average for converting 3rd and 15 is 19%.

If we're talking need, then I'd have to go with either a first down producer or better protection. Improving your 3rd down conversion ability improves the scoring by 50% over the overall average. We had an ok scoring rate, despite having the luxury of the shortest average starting field position on scoring drives in the league. We did less with more.

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
The point of the OP was to emphasize the sloppy play that a 12-4 team exhibited last season. Team averaged nearly 8 penalties a game, league high...... that isn't the distressing part, of those almost half were pre-snap.

A clean up in this area makes both sides of the ball better, potentially extending drives on offense and shortening drives on defense.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
blkhwk":2jcux8gv said:
The point of the OP was to emphasize the sloppy play that a 12-4 team exhibited last season. Team averaged nearly 8 penalties a game, league high...... that isn't the distressing part, of those almost half were pre-snap.

A clean up in this area makes both sides of the ball better, potentially extending drives on offense and shortening drives on defense.

Speaking from the offensive side strictly, there were 42 total presnap penalties (motion/false start/substitution). Just a shade over two per game. Those penalties resulted in a punt within that series of downs 62% of the time.

Penalties certainly hurt. Although honestly, I don't know that our pre snap on offense is all that much different than our opponents.

What makes them stand out, is our generically poor ability to convert on 3rd and 4 or greater. The expected result of a procedure violation is a 3rd and medium or worse situation.

At first pass, it doesn't appear that our offense struggles with the pre snap penalty. Our defense certainly has major issues with it. But clearly those issues have not affected their efficacy. In this case, it's very much the sins of the defense being attributed to a slightly below league average offense in terms of converting 3rd downs.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
blkhwk":2zsx5if9 said:
Bigpumpkin":2zsx5if9 said:

One would hope and assume time was spent on all the little things. I went back and looked at every game, drive by drive and I have to disagree with your statement about training camp being the reason. If that were true, things like pre-snap penalties would go down as the season went on. However, they did not. 'Hawks were called for a false start in every game but the opener and the first SF game. Defense jumped off sides every game but three. In the playoffs when teams should be their sharpest, 9 pre-snap penalties. This is just the pre-snap penalties I didn't have a way to look at drops or time outs used due to play clock issues etc.

Maybe it hasn't been that big of an issue, when you have talent and depth that the 'Hawks have had over the past couple of years, it may not be as emphasized as it should. With the roster getting picked over by other teams through FA, there are the things that need to be cleaned up to stay successful.

Are you going to take Pete at his word? He has repeatedly told us at his post game press conferences that the coaching staff works on these pre-snap penalties every week. Do you believe him?