Would you keep Kearse? (Poll)

Would you stick a tender on Kearse for around $2.5m?

• Yes

Votes: 111 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 63 27.4%
  • Reluctantly, I don't see too many other options

Votes: 56 24.3%

• Total voters

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
The chances are the most likely way of keeping Kearse would come at the price of around $2.5m (probably a little under) through a second round tender.

He's provided us with some memorable moments for all kinds of reasons and whilst $2.5m doesn't sound like that much, it is when you're operating a pretty tight cap.

So, if it came down to a tender or not, what are you doing?

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I want him back and I want Richardson to beat him out for a starting role. Kearse seems to be the ideal #4 wide receiver for our team.

Tical21

Reaction score
I love him, but he doesn't perform any better than anybody we could get for the league minimum.

knownone

Reaction score
Depends on his cost. If he costs anything over 1-2 million a year and I don't want him.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3egkq57y said:
I want him back and I want Richardson to beat him out for a starting role. Kearse seems to be the ideal #4 wide receiver for our team.

I think this is about right. If he could be our 4 we'd be in really good shape.

peppersjap

Reaction score
At 2.5 million there is no way I would keep him. He has made some huge (enormous) catches for us but also made some huge drops, I think he gets a pass on a lot of stuff because he is local.

netskier

Reaction score
He can make nearly impossible catches but drops a lot of easy ones. I wonder if he has ADD.

Short term I would coach Wilson to throw him only challenging passes, and that easy passes to Keats cause drops.

Longer term I would try to find or invent processes to decrease his attention deficit.

He can make amazing almost impossible catches, and this is an extremely rare talent. I can not recall a catch like that juggling act.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
He's not consistent enough. If Holmgren was still HC, he would have been gone long ago.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":3vwjga9z said:
For competition purposes? Yeah

$2.5m is a lot for competition, especially in a WR group like ours. Those suggesting we keep him as a 4th WR have different ideas to me. You don't pay him $2.5m to be your 4th guy. That's WR3 money.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2glywyu8 said:
Throwdown":2glywyu8 said:

$2.5m is a lot for competition, especially in a WR group like ours. Those suggesting we keep him as a 4th WR have different ideas to me. You don't pay him $2.5m to be your 4th guy. That's WR3 money.

Why do we have to give him $2.5 million? A 2nd round tender is $2.187 million, but we may not need to go that route to keep him.

This is Kearse's hometown. I don't think he would look to leave unless offered an exponentially greater deal. If he doesn't attract a lot of interest, they might be able to sign him to a two year deal (about $1 million per year with a $500k signing bonus).

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":zyvav7x2 said:
SomersetHawk":zyvav7x2 said:
Throwdown":zyvav7x2 said:

We do we have to give him $2.5 million? A 2nd round tender is $2.187 million, but we may not need to go that route to keep him.

This is Kearse's hometown. I don't think he would look to leave unless offered an exponentially greater deal. If he doesn't attract a lot of interest, they might be able to sign him to a two year deal (about $1 million per year with a $500k signing bonus).

The tender's been rising. Went up about $200k last year, I was anticipating something similar.

I'd much rather he received the sort of contract you're talking about, but given his big play ability and reasonable production from a minimal passing game some teams may be willing to offer him a bigger deal, or rather more money on a short contract.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I get the gist of how RFA work but not the full picture. I keep hearing 2nd round tender and that would cost us $2.5 mil. Couldn't we tender him something much lower? Maybe a 5th or 6th round tender for small money and if someone jumps on it we get a draft pick.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'm not in any way on board with the team paying over $2m for Kearse. He's a frustrating player; while he can come up big he drops a lot too. I haven't noticed him being great at getting separation either, although I'm not so sure about this.

Aside from anything else, $2.5m seems like a lot for someone who would be lucky to catch 2 passes per game.

I think the team should be looking to pick up 2 receivers in the first 4 rounds as well as possibly taking one or two later on or cheap in free agency. Let's see what these guys as well as the likes of Chris Matthews & Doug McNeil can do.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
There are guys out there that fit the bill in replacing Kearse. He's a 4th WR and needs to be paid like one. If he wants more show him the door. Hopefully we don't overpay to keep him around just because he is a local guy.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
dutchcoug":3r5kvbjw said:
I get the gist of how RFA work but not the full picture. I keep hearing 2nd round tender and that would cost us $2.5 mil. Couldn't we tender him something much lower? Maybe a 5th or 6th round tender for small money and if someone jumps on it we get a draft pick.

There are three tenders I believe. 1st, 2nd and original value. Considering Kearse was undrafted he has no original value and so the cheapest tender would be a second.

firebee

Reaction score
Honestly... I love Kearse, but his inconsistency is a killer. I'd have a real hard time re-signing him if it's much more than a million a year... especially with some of the other receivers that are available in free agency.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Im content blowing up our WR group and bringing in a bunch of talent for our franchise QB to grow with.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2y1kcrub said:
dutchcoug":2y1kcrub said:

There are three tenders I believe. 1st, 2nd and original value. Considering Kearse was undrafted he has no original value and so the cheapest tender would be a second.

Really? Then goodbye Mr Kearse. It's like we're being punished for not drafting him. We can definitely find someone that will catch 25% of the balls thrown his way for much cheaper.