I don't know when the fog will lift.....

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Hi there all,

I'm new to the forum. I've been a Seahawk fan since about 1999, when I first moved to Seattle. Now I live in Chicago. I came back to Seattle last year for both playoff games and this year for the NFC CCG. Both my 17 year old son and I are diehards. We will most certainly be at the Seattle - Green Bay game in Lambeau next year.

Anyway, just thought I would come on here to "talk" Seahawks because my options in Chicago are minimal. Beyond that, my family, including my son have kind of heard everything I have to say on this, probably too many times.

I am wondering when the nasty gut punch feel of this loss will leave. I guess that every day is a little better and I don't feel like puking each time that I think about what happened. Maybe another few days? A week? A month?

Here are some of my thoughts on what happened. I know these aren't original but I've been wanting to do this.

- We watched the game as a family. Had 4 of my son's friends over. Made 5 dozen wings and a beef tenderloin. House decorated with Seahawk flags, balloons, the whole nine yards. Fireplace going. All in the middle of a 19 inch blizzard. Great day for a football game.

- After Beast's near TD run, I was so SURE that he was going to get it again and the game would be all but over. I could SEE it and FEEL it. Still can in fact. Feels like the ending that was supposed to happen but didn't.

- I really think that the outcome would have been different if the Seahawks would have had two timeouts or if NE would have called one. As for us, we basically wasted two timeouts on the final drive. Just wasted. However, I'm pretty sure that I saw that happen way too many times this year. Not an uncommon occurrence unfortunately. I can't for the life of me see any reason that NE did not call a timeout. Seems like a certain brain cramp on BB's part. One that possibly inadvertently won the SB for NE. Riddle me that.

-Bottom-line for me - once we burned the clock from about 60 seconds to 26, that dictated that there was going to have to be one pass play if you were allowing for a possible three play sequence. I can also see why someone might think that 2nd down would be the better choice for when to do it. Of course, we probably could have run the ball three times if we would not have burned the clock. Could have snapped the ball at 40 seconds. NE was on their heels. Ram Lynch down their throat. Call a timeout at about 34 seconds if we don't get in. 34 seconds would be enough time for two plays, run or pass, without too much danger of not getting the last play off. If we fail on 3rd down and the clock is running, we probably have about 28 seconds to get off the ground and get lined up.

- Of course the pass play could have been less risky. How about a bootleg to the right? I think that one works. I also think the called play works most of the time. It just did not this time and probably had too much risk to have ever been called. Browner made a great play. Butler made a great play. I think Wilson's throw was too far in front of Lockette. A couple of feet to Lockette's side or a faster Lockette, we would not be having this particular discussion. I've watched the play about 100 times. It was kind of a miracle that Butler caught it. The ball is about a nanosecond from hitting Lockette's right hand when the force of the collision with Butler snaps his hand/arm up and back such that the ball goes right into Butler's arms. A nanosecond of difference and its either incomplete (bouncing off of Lockette's hand) or Lockette gets the ball. That close.

- I've also watched Lynch's near TD about 100 times. If Okung keeps his block on Hightower for 1/2 second longer or has better leverage, Lynch scores. End of story. Looked to me like Hightower kind of just threw Okung up the field a bit and then dived at Lynch's legs. Got enough of him to trip him up. This one hurts. It was right there for the taking.

- So, that is kind of it. I don't think the pass play was the "worst call ever" but the outcome surely was. I think that our time management bit us in the butt and that done differently, a pass play never would have been called. Execution in time management. Execution of the pass play. Execution of a slightly better block by Okung. All failed.

- Also, while it is easy for any of us to think otherwise, there was no guarantee that the Seahawks would score. I remember a goal line stand by the 49ers, against the Bengals back in the 1982 SB. Not end of game but late in the game and down and distance were exactly the same. 2nd and goal from the one. Pete Johnson (a bruiser) got stuffed on 2nd down. A 3rd down pass didn't get in . Then they got stuffed on 4th down. No cigar.

- I do have one thing that helps here - I'm an Ohio State diehard too so the crazy NC run that they had is about as much good football karma as one could expect in a given year. That being said, I certainly feel for all the Seahawks fans that also happen to be Oregon fans. BTW, I also remember an OSU game against Michigan State in 1998. OSU was ranked #1. End of game, last drive, OSU was on MSU's 15. Needed a TD to win and remain undefeated. Could not get it. That loss kept us out of the National Championship game. Final score was 28-24. Ugh.

- I really think that Seattle can get back to the SB next year. The nucleus is there and they are going to be hungry. Just need to take care of our roster. Keep Lynch in the fold. Get some WR and kick return help. Get the IR guys back.

History would say that the odds of getting back next year are better than getting back and winning a 3rd straight. So maybe we traded this year for next? At least in my tortured reasoning. :lol:

Hope this wasn't too long.

Silver Hawk

-

chevelle03

Reaction score
You've summed up my thoughts exactly. Especially the part about seeing and feeling that Lynch was going to get it one more time for the win. Why, Bevell, why?!?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I've let it go by now.

What helps me is looking at our roster, finding holes, and going over to the draft forum where knowledgeable folks that have more time than I do, do a wonderful job of scouting potential additions to our roster via the draft.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It wasn't hard at all for me when compared to XL.This was a lot easier when you consider all the injuries we had,yet we made it that far to 1/2 yard from winning..It sucks we lost but some Pats fans don't feel like they really won because of the end.We just fell a hair short and really have nothing to feel bad about.We have a great team that can get back

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2zn9kh37 said:
It wasn't hard at all for me when compared to XL.This was a lot easier when you consider all the injuries we had,yet we made it that far to 1/2 yard from winning..It sucks we lost but some Pats fans don't feel like they really won because of the end.We just fell a hair short and really have nothing to feel bad about.We have a great team that can get back

Yup, we lost more than one big-time player and were noticeably degraded by injuries to all of our secondary, but we still had NE very much on the ropes at the end.

Sharp contrast to imploding after losing one (1) Safety in SB XL. Not to mention TD-cancelling OPI on Jackson for playing patti cake with Chris pope in the EZ. This after we've seen zebras regularly look the other way when blatant shoves happen in the EZ. I could also mention ****berger's scrambling TD that wasn't, but I digress.

I had a much-worse feeling after XL. Helpless.