Injury assessment

Northhawk

Reaction score
As we all know, we were mauled by the injury bug this season from start til the last half of the SB. In fact, we have so many, it's hard to keep track of all of them. So who faces the greatest challenge in coming back?

I think it's Miller and Mebane because of their age. I wonder if these two ever come back.

I'm also worried about Richardson & Thomas because of the type of injuries they suffered. While both will be back, will they ever be the same again?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Zach Miller had his ankle surgery all the way back in September. He should be good to go in a month or so if he isn't already back.

Mebane's hamstring tear sounded pretty gnarly. But he's already had three months of rehab and should be back by training camp.

Thomas will have his surgery ASAP and is expected back by the start of training camp. Fingers crossed on that one.

Chancellor may need MCL surgery . . . we will see how severe the tear is. It could be something that will heal on its own over the next five months.

Not sure what kind of surgery Sherman will have on his elbow if any.

Richardson probably will not be back at the start of the season. ACL surgery is the most serious of all these injuries. He has a nine month rehab ahead of him. They could use their return designation on him once the season starts.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
hawknation2015":xqf0v0uv said:
Zach Miller had his ankle surgery all the way back in September. He should be good to go in a month or so if he isn't already back.

Mebane's hamstring tear sounded pretty gnarly. But he's already had three months of rehab and should be back by training camp.

Thomas will have his surgery ASAP and is expected back by the start of training camp. Fingers crossed on that one.

Chancellor may need MCL surgery . . . we will see how severe the tear is. It could be something that will heal on its own over the next five months.

Richardson probably will not be back at the start of the season. ACL surgery is the most serious of all these injuries. He has a nine month rehab ahead of him. They could use their return designation on him once the season starts.
Pretty sure they would have Richardson on PUP to start the year(given they think he can make it back in time) not on IR designated to return.

chris98251

Reaction score
I hope they don't wait 5 months to re evaluate Kam, if it has not healed correctly or is partially attached he will need surgery when camp starts and miss significant time.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1nvq39e7 said:
hawknation2015":1nvq39e7 said:

Pretty sure they would have Richardson on PUP to start the year(given they think he can make it back in time) not on IR designated to return.

Oh, that's right. They could PUP him until October. Nine-month recovery would mean he would be back in late October or November. Then they get a couple more months to decide whether to activate him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yea, I'm worried about a few of them.

MCL tears typically aren't that bad. the majority of them heal up and don't require surgery. The fact that they let Kam play at all would lead me to believe it should recover 100%

Thomas's injury does worry me. When you get a severe shoulder dislocation, and it tears the labrum like that, sometimes that shoulder never comes back right. The shoulder is a funny joint with a ton of range of motion and can be finicky about healing up 100%. The biggest injury that gave guys I saw while in rehab in the Marines the most difficulty was the shoulder. Most of us have heard that when you dislocate a shoulder, it will always pop out easier again. Typically you can alleviate that with surgery, but sometimes it just doesn't come back right. Thomas flies up and lays hits with his shoulder a LOT. If things don't come back right, it could alter his style of play. Big Sky Doc could probably shed more light on it than I can.

Paul's ACL is also troubling. I re watched the play, and it didn't look like the knee did any major tweaking or twisting. I'm honestly surprised after watching that, that he tore his ACL at all. So, either the surgery wasn't that great in college, or it was weak enough that it tore easily when he landed on it. Or it was just a freak thing.

I don't know that the failure rate on those ACL grafts are, but I was told that some do fail, no matter how good the surgery or rehab went. Maybe this happened to Paul, but tearing that same ACL twice is really troubling. It's sad, as Richardson was really coming along and I think would've made a big difference in the big game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":113sov2m said:
Back to back 19 game seasons.

If we are remotely healthy next year it will be a miracle.

I hate to admit it but you are correct. That's a lot of wear and tear on a physical team like the Hawks.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3w3m0slm said:
Back to back 19 game seasons.

If we are remotely healthy next year it will be a miracle.

Very true. We won't know the full extent of our injury status until we see who's being held out of training camp practices. That's when all of the surprises pop-up.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We beat the heck out of our selves. Can this team ease up on each other at practice (and also a few times a game) and still retain its identity?

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469656/article/richard-sherman-plans-to-heal-elbow-without-surgery[/urltargetblank]

Looks like Sherman was told to let his elbow rest and try to heal without surgery. They are going to examine it again in about a month. Hopefully it heals fine and he doesn't need the surgery, but for now it's good news on this injury

McGruff

Reaction score
Lane's arm turned to spaghetti. That one and Richardson concern me the most, because both are young players who need the work.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sherm could heal, if in a month he isn't and they do surgery 90 days or so he should have enough range of motion again to begin doing strength conditioning I would think, it will take a year to feel normal though.

purpleneer

Reaction score
McGruff":7qzjue74 said:
Lane's arm turned to spaghetti. That one and Richardson concern me the most, because both are young players who need the work.
Yeah, when I saw the still of the one angle, I thought "I'll bet his x-ray looks alot like mine did." His did look like it wasn't as much in the wrist as mine was, but I had a fixator for 10 weeks and the stiffness was unbelievable when it came off. At least he'll have more motivation and focus and do more than the basic PT, but his strength will drop off.

chris98251

Reaction score
I seen or it looked like the forearm snapped, not the wrist, I am no expert but doesn't those bones heal very well and since it was not a joint he should be able to rebuild it much more easily.