Conspiracy Theory

pugs1

Reaction score
Let me first say I was watching Turning Point so I might not have been in the right frame of mind when this popped into my head but something has been bothering me about the ticket situation. Seahawks fans dominated the crowd last year. So much so it had an effect on the game. (Peyton's safety) This year due to location and weather media reports had Seahawks fans outnumbering Pats fans by a wide margin in AZ. All of a sudden Seahawks fans can't get their tickets because brokers can't get their tickets and prices climb to $10,000 a ticket guaranteeing a corporate crowd. That place should have been C-Link south. My question is Why did the NFL hold up tickets to the brokers? Did Pats fans have the same trouble Seahawks fans had? So in closing did the NFL protect the Pats from playing a road game? Ok got to go fashion me a tinfoil hat now!

Rat

Reaction score
Feels like incompetence was more likely than excessive competence to conspire against one team.

netskier

Reaction score
Incompetence? How many years does it take to learn how to sell tickets? They know how by now. Need another hypothesis.

Rat

Reaction score
netskier":4d40qfxq said:
Incompetence? How many years does it take to learn how to sell tickets? They know how by now. Need another hypothesis.
How long have officials been in their business? How long has Bevell been in football? How long was Matt Millen around the game?

Experience doesn't preclude incompetence.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
This has happened at other Super Bowls as well......shady brokers selling sold seats for a higher price. Plus the number of people this happened to, was no where close to making a difference in the number of 12s there. No conspiracy.

LTH

Reaction score
IMO the fact they would charge 10 grand for a ticket is crazy...its nothing more than greedy....

Hawks46

Reaction score
LTH":3ib5aebg said:
IMO the fact they would charge 10 grand for a ticket is crazy...its nothing more than greedy....

How is it greedy ? If no one paid that much, and the stadium was half full, they would have to drop ticket prices. The fact is that people spend that much on them, and there is a waiting list to get those tickets at thousands of bucks a pop. As long as people buy at that price, they'll sell at that price.

At least for now, we're a free market society. The market dictates the pricing, and right now, folks are willing to pay exorbitant prices.

LTH

Reaction score
Hawks46":1cwnms92 said:
LTH":1cwnms92 said:

How is it greedy ? If no one paid that much, and the stadium was half full, they would have to drop ticket prices. The fact is that people spend that much on them, and there is a waiting list to get those tickets at thousands of bucks a pop. As long as people buy at that price, they'll sell at that price.

At least for now, we're a free market society. The market dictates the pricing, and right now, folks are willing to pay exorbitant prices.

Yeah.... well I guess if someone's got an extra 10 grand laying around... I know I dont but even if I did thats a hell of a lot of money to see a football game...

"Im not concervitive I'm cheap"

Jerry Brown (1976)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Goes back to the old simplest of economic theories. The Law of Supply Vs Demand. 48 had a lot of supply as the concept of tix sales would be harder to sell as the game is in the Death Star. So getting to the location required shuttles and pilots to pilot those shuttles. Then the lack of knowledge of which fan base had ownership of the shuttle agencies and the amount of credits that a person was allowing themselves to pay for such an activity. As both teams were in distant locales, the estimation of said people traversing the galaxy to go to said activity was grossly underestimated. Hence the lower prices for tickets. The presumption is that they would not sell out to either team and the weather is a factor as usually there is a storm brewing during that timeframe every year. You would think the Death Star would have better environmental control on conditions, but it is what it is.

Warp into the next season's endgame. The theory of having that many of the same crowd as the previous season's ender puts the onus on the providers of said tickets for said theoretical same credit value. But hence, more people think of this as a time that they can see their team double up on their great season. B2B dont come around every year yanno. Plus those that missed out on the shoe dropping last year are not in any way shape or form gonna miss out on this one. So Supply is limited for a while as the demand is semi-high. Then that layer of tickets is sold and the demand goes higher..and the price runs higher as the demand is high. The idea then is to let some more tickets loose as there are gonna be some people thinking there are no more tix available, and they get sniped. They preyed on the demand side of it really really hard and some won some lost. Some get robbed of their opportunity to visit the second more powerful Death Star (good thing too...cause it gets blown up as well as the first one. sorry about the teaser.). So, indicative of some sound policies in normal supply and demand sites, the price gouging war began and those that bought tix and were able to get those tickets from their available sources early were able to go for what they determined was a fair market value TO THEM. Some who got there late were not able to afford it Got SCREWED.

I did not plan on going as I dont have the money for it. Even my mother asked me if I was going. I said no....I can handle some crowds, but I think that would not be near as fun as staying home or going to a less crowded realm.

Sorry but this is economics from High school back in 1979-80 in my senior year.

jblaze

Reaction score
Just good ol collusion and price fixing. People need to stop with the conspiracy theory stuff every time something doesn't go your way.