Shane Vereen says....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
They were already working on plays on the sideline to try to get a field goal after they let Lynch walk into the endzone. See, I called that at the time. Thats why they werent calling a time out. We screwed up the play in an epic way and I will never forget it. I dont care how many Super Bowls we get. This one will always piss me off. There have been a ton of apologists. I ask you this Mr/Mrs apologist. Do you think Pete would do it the same if he had a do over? You can bet your ass he runs that ball right down the throat of the defense and doesnt think twice. For a team that preaches smash mouth and controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and coming out with news of an impending Lynch extension to NOT hand the MVP candidate the damn ball is inexusable on so many levels. Ive been quiet on here out of sheer disgust. I will root, I will pump my fist on every positive run, pass, first down, touchdown and big play. Every win will be celebrated and every loss mourned. Im not sleeping on my team or my fandom but this will haunt me forever.

Go ahead, say get over it and to you I say "no!"

Edited title to remove " they were gonna let Lynch score.." out until there is a link confirming this as the only quote (shown in post below) doesn't say anything about letting Lynch score on purpose

Hyak

Reaction score
I don't believe they were going to let them score given that they tackled Lynch on first down and didn't use any timeouts.

If their intent was to let Seattle score, they would have called a TO right after the Lynch play to preserve time. IMO.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2y1qsn52 said:
They were already working on plays on the sideline to try to get a field goal after they let Lynch walk into the endzone. See, I called that at the time. Thats why they werent calling a time out. We screwed up the play in an epic way and I will never forget it. I dont care how many Super Bowls we get. This one will always piss me off. There have been a ton of apologists. I ask you this Mr/Mrs apologist. Do you think Pete would do it the same if he had a do over? You can bet your ass he runs that ball right down the throat of the defense and doesnt think twice. For a team that preaches smash mouth and controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and coming out with news of an impending Lynch extension to hand the MVP candidate the damn ball is inexusable on so many levels. Ive been quiet on here out of sheer disgust. I will root, I will pump my fist on every positive run, pass, first down, touchdown and big play. Every win will be celebrated and every loss mourned. Im not sleeping on my team or my fandom but this will haunt me forever.

Go ahead, say get over it and to I say "no!"

They were not going to "let us score." If that were true they would have made sure Lynch made it into the endzone the play before the pick. Furtheremore not utilizing their timeouts was a tactical error. Both coaches botched that final drive, if Seattle scores and wins, EVERYONE would be losing their mind over Belichick's choice to let the clock run. If he used his timeouts properly he'd have 45 seconds or so, instead he would have been left with 20.

However, they got a break and all is forgotten.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Do you have a link? Because All I've heard Vereen say is that he thought Lynch would eventually score and they were coming up with plays on the sideline for when their offense got the ball back.

Story and video at the link below

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469459/article/vereen-sb-xlix-a-different-ending-if-lynch-ran-ball[/urltargetblank]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
JTB":1zfxh5g6 said:
I don't believe they were going to let them score given that they tackled Lynch on first down and didn't use any timeouts.

If their intent was to let Seattle score, they would have called a TO right after the Lynch play to preserve time. IMO.

Exactly. If they were going to let him score, they blew it by tackling him at the 1. I am not buying this story.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JTB":28vio1nm said:

Exactly...

It is a massive stretch to go from "We were working on plays if we got the ball back and needed to score" to "we were going to let him score."

They would not have let the clock tick down to 24 seconds to do that

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Thread should be locked unless OP can provide a link. Doesn't make any sense. Why would they put in their heavy goal-line personnel if they were going to let Lynch stroll in?

Of course their offense was going over plays. Why wouldn't they? That doesn't mean anything.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Plus, letting a team score is just dumb. You have an NFL Defense, let them play.

What if we had let the Rams score during that goal line stand in St Louis last year? Let your Defense make a stand. Letting them score when they need a TD is just admitting defeat.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
If they were going to let Seattle score, I sure wish someone would have informed Mr. Butler.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
:pukeface: Its the NFL.com article someone linked above. I was certainly reading between the lines. Like, when your wife Ive met someone else. Its assumed they are hooking up or nah?

After Lynch pounded the ball inside the 1 they knew they were toast. Of course at the 5 with over a minute left you are going to try to make a stand but even then, they were still in shock that Kearse caught the freaking ball. By the time they all got together they came to the conclusion that their only hope was to let us score. Did you se Tom Brady? That wasnt a "wow what a great play by the defense" look. It was a "holy crap, I cant believe they called that play and Im in utter shock!" look.

Ill take the word of a play on the other side line over a bunch of people in here trying to convince themselves that it wasnt as bad as it looked. Youre right, it wasnt as bad as it looked, it was worse and its complete laughable excruciatingly painful failure and they most boneheaded play, move over Buckner, in Sports history.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Yeah the Pats were going to let the Hawks score, that's why they lined up in a cover 0 to sellout to stop the run.

Totally believable, not.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":1ye005bv said:
If they were going to let Seattle score, I sure wish someone would have informed Mr. Butler.

Dude, it like a trainwreck you see coming. Im sure he was incredible amazed at how we lined up. He had one chance and one chance only. If Lockette runs a fade there hes beyond wide open and Butler is he laughing stock. Instead, we gave them everything they wanted and more. He broke on the ball before the word go because it was THAT BAD of a play call.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":gqhg0u6g said:
Yeah the Pats were going to let the Hawks score, that's why they lined up in a cover 0 to sellout to stop the run.

Totally believable, not.

I guess thats the genius behind it then isnt it? They baited us into a horrific call. That was their one gold ticket BESIDES just letting the Hawks walk in. They had to get the ball back but had one ace in the hole and we played right into it. Why do you think this is such a joke and sickenening to the point your head coach is crying in bed. Whatever makes you guys feel better. The most boneheaded play of all time belongs to our Hawks FYI.

Hyak

Reaction score
BlueBlood":azr01b9g said:
:pukeface: Its the NFL.com article someone linked above. I was certainly reading between the lines. Like, when your wife Ive met someone else. Its assumed they are hooking up or nah?

After Lynch pounded the ball inside the 1 they knew they were toast. Of course at the 5 with over a minute left you are going to try to make a stand but even then, they were still in shock that Kearse caught the freaking ball. By the time they all got together they came to the conclusion that their only hope was to let us score. Did you se Tom Brady? That wasnt a "wow what a great play by the defense" look. It was a "holy crap, I cant believe they called that play and Im in utter shock!" look.

Ill take the word of a play on the other side line over a bunch of people in here trying to convince themselves that it wasnt as bad as it looked. Youre right, it wasnt as bad as it looked, it was worse and its complete laughable excruciatingly painful failure and they most boneheaded play, move over Buckner, in Sports history.

The play call and outcome of it is irrelevant to this. If NE's strategy was to let Seattle score, there's no logical explanation for not calling timeout after the Lynch run and letting Seattle bleed the clock down to 20 seconds. 40 seconds and only needing a FG is an eternity that certainly warrants trading one of their 3 timeouts for.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seems rather obvious that the original premise of this thread (that they were going to let us score) was off base, and since we don't need fresh threads to discuss the play, while there are still other threads that cover this topic, I'm locking this.

For future reference guys, if you want to vent about the play, that's fine, but find a thread and use it instead of starting new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.