Seeing the forest for the trees

Erebus

Reaction score
Obviously the way our season ended was heartbreaking, but the season was not a complete waste. There is some solace to take in seeing all the good things that happened in 2014. If we're only going to focus on the forest (losing the Super Bowl), we'll miss some incredible trees. Here are 12 (because it has to be 12) fond memories and/or accomplishments (trees) I appreciate from 2014.

1. We set a franchise record for yards gained (6012) with one of the greatest rushing offenses of all time. A big part of that was Russell Wilson proving to be one of the greatest true dual-threat QBs ever.

2. We set a franchise record for fewest yards allowed with 4274 and became the first team since the 1969-71 Vikings to lead the league in fewest points allowed for three straight years. Regardless of our fate in the Super Bowl, this consistency will solidify our defense's place amongst the all time greats.

3. Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, and Bobby Wagner all earned 1st Team All Pro honors. Kam Chancellor and Marshawn Lynch earned 2nd team All Pro honors. Lynch had 1300 yards and 17 TDs. If any of these guys are going to make the Hall of Fame, 2014 definitely helped their case.

4. Lynch added to his ridiculous career highlight reel with some great runs, including Beast Quake 2.0 and a go-ahead TD in an amazing NFCCG comeback.

5. We swept the Cardinals for the first time since 2010. In doing so, we crushed them in their biggest regular season game in franchise history, took the division from them, and then played in the Super Bowl on their home field.

6. We swept the 49ers for the first time since 2007. In doing so, we ruined their season and got Jim Harbaugh forced out. If they would've swept us, they would've been in the playoffs and probably kept Harbaugh.

7. We continued our prime time dominance and our home playoff game winning streak. We haven't lost a home playoff game or gone one-and-done since the 2004 season. Our seven straight playoff appearances without going one-and-done is the longest active streak in the NFL. We were also the first defending champ since the '05 Patriots to win a playoff game.

8. We finally won a playoff game against Green Bay. I love how soul-crushing that defeat was for them, because it helps me feel much better about losing to them the way we did in 2003 and 2007. We also crushed them in week one. With their reactions to the Fail Mary game and the NFCCG, they proved that they are not only our bitches, but just bitches in general.

9. The Seahawk curse. For 10 straight weeks, teams lost the week after playing us. This in particular kept the 49ers and Eagles out of the playoffs.

10. This team showed how resilient they are. We traded Percy Harvin and somehow improved. We had a ridiculous number of players on IR and still reached the Super Bowl. The players came together to play for each other at 6-4 when everyone wrote us off. It's this mental resilience and comraderie that makes me think we'll be great again next year (and for a long time thereafter). The resilience also leads me to point #11.

11. To me personally, this year had a 1995 Mariners feel to it, in the sense that our backs were to the wall, we overcame a big divisional deficit, had an amazing comeback victory in the playoffs, and ran out of gas at the end (fatigue for those Mariners, secondary injuries for the Seahawks). Obviously there are big differences between the '95 Mariners and '14 Seahawks (especially in expectations), but I like the similarities.

12. Although not a Lombardi trophy, we did add another George Halas trophy to our display case. Winning the NFC and playing in the Super Bowl is always special.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
Lots of good stuff on that list. It was a great year with many things to be proud of...keep this train going.

Go Hawks!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Nice post, Erebus; lots of information there which helps feeling better a week after a terrible play all that took away the chance to win a 2nd consecutive SB.

LTH

Reaction score
Great post I LOVE IT!

Laloosh

Reaction score
The way this team came back to finish the year, I can't be unhappy. Thanks for the positive post.