Rocky Seto Promoted to Assistant Head Coach Defense

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Rocky-Seto-promoted-to-assistant-head-coach/a842fc0f-58bb-4c7d-95b4-ad1d2a40fa48[/urltargetblank]

The Seattle Seahawks have promoted Rocky Seto to assistant head coach/defense, the team announced this afternoon.

Seto originally joined Pete Carroll’s staff at USC in 2001 and worked with the safeties, linebackers and secondary before serving his final season as defensive coordinator/secondary coach in 2009. He moved with Carroll to Seattle in 2010 and served as quality control/defense his first season, defensive backs/safeties coach in 2011 and defensive passing game coordinator the last two seasons.

Over the past two seasons, he has helped Seattle lead the league in passing defense while boasting three All-Pro and Pro Bowl selections in safety Kam Chancellor, cornerback Richard Sherman and safety Earl Thomas.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Im gonna pull a hawknballs and pat myself on the back for calling this one and I think I was the only one too.

In this thread:
http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108514

You know even if youre right about something I don't understand the incessant need for people to know that you are right with "I told you so" narratives.

It feels cheap to pat your own back and toot your own horn.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
So is Tom Cable Assistant Head Coach/Offense and Seto is Assistant Head Coach/Defense?

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":8to31qmr said:
So is Tom Cable Assistant Head Coach/Offense and Seto is Assistant Head Coach/Defense?

Cable is Offensive Line/Assistant Head Coach

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think they both report directly to Carroll.

I read any interesting NYT piece on Seto right before the Super Bowl. His job is pretty interesting, sort of mysterious. He's not technically the scheme guy -- that'll likely be Richard (and Carroll). Seto has his hands in everything - analyzing tendencies, introducing innovative tackling and striking techniques, assembling presentations for the entire team. The rugby tackles and kangaroo strikes came from Seto. Seems like a guy who Carroll leans on to stay on the cutting edge of things, especially on defense. His job sort of defies any conventional title -- Assistant HC/Defense is about as appropriate as any other.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":lre36pai said:
I think they both report directly to Carroll.

I read any interesting NYT piece on Seto right before the Super Bowl. His job is pretty interesting, sort of mysterious. He's not technically the scheme guy -- that'll likely be Richard (and Carroll). Seto has his hands in everything - analyzing tendencies, introducing innovative tackling and striking techniques, assembling presentations for the entire team. The rugby tackles and kangaroo strikes came from Seto. Seems like a guy who Carroll leans on to stay on the cutting edge of things, especially on defense. His job sort of defies any conventional title -- Assistant HC/Defense is about as appropriate as any other.

Some quotes on him and his importance to the system by Pete Carroll:

“He has become really the keeper of the records. He’s got all the information. He knows everything we’ve ever done and how we’ve done it.

“He’s a tremendous resource for us to always stay in touch with the principles and the philosophy and all that.”

“He’s been a special confidant to me to maintain our language and our belief because he goes back the furthest with me,” Carroll said. “He’s a great friend. He’s been a great coach for us. He’s been a very integral part of everything we do.”

Seafan

Reaction score
I saw this coming and called it too. The team couldn't afford to lose another defensive coach. Both Seto and Richard deserved more money. It works out well.

crosfam

Reaction score
Promotions, new titles, and raises for the current defensive staff - as expected. It also better positions these guys to compete for HC positions. Stands in stark contrast with teams that block interviews for their staff. I have a feeling it will be more of the same next year.