Jets expected to release Harvin

FargoHawk

Reaction score
No surprise but that means we get their 6th rounder instead of their 4th. Lame!

Sorry, I'm terrible with posting links.

EDIT - Reported on Rotoworld

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It is what it is . . . just further confirmation that Harvin isn't that good. He runs terrible routes and has now run himself out of three teams without endearing himself to anyone.

Our pick moves down two rounds, but it's still a high sixth rounder (Jets' pick is 5th in that round). We now have one pick in each round, plus our three or four compensatories.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This is what we all expected. We can make the pick in the 6th and finally move on. The return is pretty underwhelming, but getting rid of Harvin and admitting the mistake when the Hawks did is what allowed them to have the success they did last year. I don't think they get to the Super Bowl if they ride it out with Harvin.

2_0_6

Reaction score
My list of teams I feel he might land with:

Tampa
Oakland
Santa Clara
St. Louis
New England
Green Bay (if Cobb leaves)

OP
OP
FargoHawk

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":7bphitg1 said:
My list of teams I feel he might land with:

Tampa
Oakland
Santa Clara
St. Louis
New England
Green Bay (if Cobb leaves)

I'm guessing New Orleans. They were talking all year about not having Sproles and the impact that had. Harvin could fill that Bush/Sproles role.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I look at it like: a team gave us a 6th rounder and paid half his 2014 salary for a player that the Hawks would have cut anyway. I wish it was a 4th but Harvin needed to go and an extra draft pick is an extra draft pick.

Hyak

Reaction score
The ESPN Jets beat writer (Rich Cimini) says it's still undecided. Harvin has to be released to trigger the 6th round pick instead of the 4th rounder. If he takes a pay cut but stays on the Jets, the Hawks get the 4th round pick.

I expect the 6th round pick as well but there's also some other factors at play:

1. New coach and OC who likely want weapons around their young QB or new young QB
2. Gailey likes to spread the field, fitting Harvin pretty well.
3. They have a ton of cap room so even leaving his deal as is could be feasible.

Hard to say what the market is for Harvin right now.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
JTB":utjacibs said:
The ESPN Jets beat writer (Rich Cimini) says it's still undecided. Harvin has to be released to trigger the 6th round pick instead of the 4th rounder. If he takes a pay cut but stays on the Jets, the Hawks get the 4th round pick.

I expect the 6th round pick as well but there's also some other factors at play:

1. New coach and OC who likely want weapons around their young QB or new young QB
3. They have a ton of cap room so even leaving his deal as is could be feasible.

This would be my hope. I don't think Harvin did anything wrong in NY last year and seemed to be a good teammate. Maybe the new coaching staff and FO want the player on the field and try to work on lower his cap number. Even though they have about 46 million is cap space, with Harvin's contract.

Hyak

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3mu7mkpd said:
JTB":3mu7mkpd said:

This would be my hope. I don't think Harvin did anything wrong in NY last year and seemed to be a good teammate. Maybe the new coaching staff and FO want the player on the field and try to work on lower his cap number. Even though they have about 46 million is cap space, with Harvin's contract.

One other issue - they have tons of cap space but they have to spend 85-90% of it to avoid an issue with the NFLPA.

Still, if I am JS and PC, I'd plan on it being a 6. Getting a 4 is a bonus.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
We need a good return man, maybe we can get him on the cheep?

If he gets out of line we can have ndomokong step on his leg.

Hyak

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3ofx2pi7 said:

If he gets out if line we can have ndomokong step on his leg.

:th2thumbs: Well done.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
It's got to be mighty tempting for an egotistical organisation like the Jets to want to own the Percy Harvin redemption story while rubbing it in the faces of the rest of the NFL and the Hawks in particular. I could see him restructuring for less.

He did make Ponder look like a semi-legit QB as well.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3v2uzjqi said:

If he gets out of line we can have ndomokong step on his leg.

Oh...you mean Suh him??? :mrgreen: :stirthepot:

P.S. Thanks I needed a laugh this morning.

cacksman

Reaction score
JTB":1q15hl3m said:
Hawkfan77":1q15hl3m said:
JTB":1q15hl3m said:

One other issue - they have tons of cap space but they have to spend 85-90% of it to avoid an issue with the NFLPA.

Still, if I am JS and PC, I'd plan on it being a 6. Getting a 4 is a bonus.

This is my thinking. Are they really going to be able to spend $50-55 million of 2015 cap space? It seems like they almost need his cap number to reach the 89%.

jblaze

Reaction score
Not surprising. He's proving his talent and production do not outweigh his headaches.

What a drop for Harvin. A couple years ago a front runner for MVP before he got hurt, traded for a ton and given a huge contract and now dropped by two teams and will likely get mid talent money in free agency.

Amazing drop in a fairly short amount of time.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I think he could do wonders in an offense like the Patriots or Saints run, but neither organization will throw lots of money at him. Pats never break the bank and Saints are in cap trouble if I remember correctly. Has all the talent in the world but mental issues bring him way down.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":ahb2bfaq said:
By draft points, I wonder what our return on investment is from Harvin

I mean, it's a ridiculous way to work things out but just for the ships and giggles we spent 822.4 draft points on Percy. Taking into account added comp picks I estimate that 6th rounder from the Jets will net us somewhere around 20 points worth of draft pick.

So our return on the investment was roughly -802.4 points. Basically we spent over 4000% more than the Jets. Haha. Lol. Ha. Fun times.