#1 Position of need?

What is the most important position that needs to be addressed this offseason?

• CB (We can't afford Maxi and Lane & Simon are big ?'s)

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • DT (Mebane, Hill, and Scruggs all coming off injury and KWill is one yr older)

Votes: 40 18.6%
  • OL (Protect our Franchise QB)

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • TE (Miller injury prone, Wilson drop prone)

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • WR (Give Wilson a big weapon who can play like Mathews did in the SB, every game)

Votes: 102 47.4%
  • KR/PR (We sorely missed Tate in the return game this season)

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Which position needs the biggest offseason acquisition for us improve next season?

Chawks1

Reaction score
PR/KR. Our return game was next to nothing. We need to find someone that can do both similar to Leon Washington. 1 player to replace both Richardson and Walters clears a roster spot too. Should be able to address this problem in 3rd -5th round.

nwHawk

Reaction score
We have many positional needs, although mainly as depth if our guys come back healthy. Tight end is a major part of our offense. The ability to affect the run and passing game, TE is key. I could see us avoiding most free agents, and relying on the draft and our coaches ability. A backup speedy DE would also be nice.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I don't think we have "needs" at all. I would like depth in a few areas, but the team is already good enough to win it all next year as is, IMO. No needs, but let's get some more depth on the DL, secondary and at receiver.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think DT was by far our biggest hole on the team down the stretch run, we are pretty lucky we didn't face Dallas in the NFCCG because our run D took a big hit without Mebane. Our pass rush all year struggled without the interior pressure we got last year. I do know for sure but I'd guess Bennett got more snaps this year but a higher percentage of them were at DE since we didn't have Big Red or Clemons to rotate. If there is any doubt that Mebane cannot come back at 100% we need to invest in DT who can get to the QB if we want to keep our D at the top again.

I think WR is the 2nd biggest need. We have a corps of undated FA's, I don't care how hard they all work their is a shortage of pure size, speed, and talent at the position. Our #2 TE who was a late round pick is probably faster than our #1 and #2 WR. We truly have a mediocre group, Baldwin and Kearse would be a great #3/#4 combo. But I'd just as well see Richardson, Norwood, and Mathews getting on the field to see what they have. I think adding an older vet's into our WR group might be good for Baldwin's maturity and provided Wilson someone who has talent for a reasonable price. We don't have room for a Dez Bryant but a V-Jax or Fitzgerald would look really good.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
nwHawk":3nngdo18 said:
We have many positional needs, although mainly as depth if our guys come back healthy. Tight end is a major part of our offense. The ability to affect the run and passing game, TE is key. I could see us avoiding most free agents, and relying on the draft and our coaches ability. A backup speedy DE would also be nice.

I'd be happy with a TE of John Carlson's capability.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Obviously you retain your really valuable personnel.

Aside from that, you don't go into an offseason full of desperation at any position. You end up full on Cleveland if you take that route.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Definitely CB and WR, in that order, and on the condition that we can't keep Maxwell. If we can keep Maxwell, then I say WR and OL. I hope Jesse Williams, Jordan Hill, and Mebane can be our big guys on the DL.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm not sure that Jesse Williams will ever be on a roster on game day and if he is it likely won't be for long. He's got no mass in his body from the waist down like an old school cartoon character. Structurally he won't hold up, I'm afraid. At least as it stands now. If he could get down to a good 300 pounds while adding strength in those uber tiny legs I'd probably have to eat my words, but right now he's just plain top heavy and even when he is playing he spends a lot of time on the ground when he has to play laterally.

He's better off trying to be Red Bryant vs Mebane. Maybe he gets away with being a 3, but IMO if he's going to succeed and have a better chance of staying healthy, Chicken Legs needs to be out closer to the edge, head up on the tackle (4) or outside shade (5) or both (like Red). Playing in the A and B gaps is generally best for players that play with a good base and center of gravity.

LTH

Reaction score
Im not convinced Mebane is healthy... I think he will be a cap casualty... i think the Hawks will add DT in FA as well in the draft... Also I think the Hawks like the WR they have but will add one in the draft... everybody is going to think I am crazy with this one but Im thinking the Hawks will have problems signing RO next off season and will draft a LT as there first pick...

LTH

Mick063

Reaction score
Pass rush.

The turnovers will come back with a pass rush.

The next priority after that is kick returner.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think if we improve our OL we by default improve our receivers. More time and less scramble drill. That said I would like us to add to our WR depth.

To be fair all of the options listed have reasonable arguments for areas where we need to improve.

My own personal take is:

1 - OL starters
2 - CB depth
3 - WR (including KR/PR)
4 - DL depth
5 - TE

Ozzy

Reaction score
UK I don't fully disagree but in the SB Wilson had all kinds of time and still no one was getting open. When they did like Kearse on the 3rd and 3 he drops what would of probably sealed the win. We need to get better at that position in a big way. I thought the line played better late in the season but could obviously get better.

McGruff

Reaction score
I'm not buying DT as a major need. We were hit with a perfect storm in 2014. Scruggs, Marsh and WIlliams went down early, but they were only depth players. But when Mebane then Hill went down, and there was no depth behind them, we were in trouble.

5 season ending injuries to our top 7 DT's . . . You can't prepare for that. You can't draft for that.

On the flipside, I look at WR and OL and I see legit concerns right at the top all the way to the bottom of the roster.