Russell Okung, extend or play it out?

Barthawk

Reaction score
Okung is due 4.8M this season, which is the last year of his rookie contract.

Does the FO try and do their 4yr extensions for 25-30M for him as well? Or do they let him play it out and see if he can stay healthy for an entire year (2012 only year so far) and then deal with the possibility that he will cost more?

I think you let him play it out, although it is a tough call if you can extend him and lower his cap # this year.

By the time his rookie contract is up he will have made close to 50M. Paying a 6-7M per year for a quality LT is not too much to ask. Okung, when healthy, is a top 10 LT in the game.

Hyak

Reaction score
It would depend on the money of course but I would like to see them extend him. The more core players they can keep for the window of this team's prime years, the better IMO. That said, LT money is pretty significant and finding good ones are easier said than done.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Barthawk":2bfgu76j said:
Okung is due 4.8M this season, which is the last year of his rookie contract.

Does the FO try and do their 4yr extensions for 25-30M for him as well? Or do they let him play it out and see if he can stay healthy for an entire year (2012 only year so far) and then deal with the possibility that he will cost more?

I think you let him play it out, although it is a tough call if you can extend him and lower his cap # this year.

By the time his rookie contract is up he will have made close to 50M. Paying a 6-7M per year for a quality LT is not too much to ask. Okung, when healthy, is a top 10 LT in the game.

It may depend a lot on their draft strategy. If they don't draft a replacement this year, then it would be crazy not to extend him. If they do have someone fall into their laps that they feel can fill the void next season, then they may want to wait and see how the rookie pans out before making that call.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I like Okung really, when he's healthy, but that's just it... When he's healthy. I think I would let him play it out and prove to me that he can play an entire season before extending him. Unless he'd sign for a deal where he's making borderline starter/backup money where it won't hurt me too much if I have to keep him just as depth...

Ultimately though the best lines have to play together without interruption for long periods to become the best they can be and I'd take a less talented guy (not a chump/backup but just tier down) that plays every game over an elite player that can't stay on the field.

OP
OP
Barthawk

Barthawk

Reaction score
I get the feeling that this team doesn't feel that they need top flight OL in order to succeed. I thought this when we didn't go after any mid-level FAs the past two offseasons. I think OL will constantly be a source of ire for us in the passing game, but having an extremely mobile QB does make one want to spend $$$ elsewhere.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Barthawk":1xeimij7 said:
I get the feeling that this team doesn't feel that they need top flight OL in order to succeed. I thought this when we didn't go after any mid-level FAs the past two offseasons. I think OL will constantly be a source of ire for us in the passing game, but having an extremely mobile QB does make one want to spend $$$ elsewhere.

I hope that's not the philosophy but I see what you're saying.

Wilson is a mobile QB now but for how much longer? You can't just rely on him to run around forever. I mean there could be a situation where he has to play through an injury next year where he can't move around as well. Then also if you do go the route of he's a mobile QB so we don't need to invest in a line what happens when he's older and has to change his playing style because he lost a step? I'd rather provide a solid Oline for him now so he can develop even more as a pocket passing defense shreder and allow him to use his athleticism to supplement rather than force him to play a way that will inevitably stop working once he's older or injured...

Boycie

Reaction score
Barthawk":16hpeomo said:

Well if what we are seeing about the FO possibly guaranteeing all of RW's contract to make a lower cap hit is true, then we better make sure he doesn't get killed out there due to a weak O-line.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Even though I think he's a terrific LT when healthy, it's just too early to offer him an extension.

#1 They need to fully evaluate this year's draft prospects, as well as next year's free agency market for LTs.

#2 They need to see if a talented OT prospect is available in the draft; one they can either develop behind Okung or push Britt at RT.

#3 They have to wait to find out whether that rookie OT lives up to expectations. They also need to find out whether Okung is still capable of staying healthy and performing at a high level during the season. All this will effect whether extending Okung becomes a priority.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Barthawk":11ghgb0x said:

I was ok with that philosophy under his rookie contract, but we are looking at paying him as a top flight qb, which means a likelihood of a large guarantee. With so much cap tied up into him, I'd like to see him protected a bit more.

I don't want people to translate this into me not wanting him to continue to use his legs, because I think they add an element to the game that makes us even that much more difficult to defend. I just want him to be able to step back into the pocket and not have to run for his life. I'd like to keep the running down to designed rollouts, read options and the occasional qb keeper. Getting blind sided when dropping back into the pocket is how you waste a perfectly good $20 million of your cap space in any particular season

Hawks46

Reaction score
Barthawk":a6shh813 said:

Well, this FO did draft Okung in the 1st round, along with Earl Thomas (and Okung was the 1st pick) so they have shown they will spend high draft capital on the right player.

They also spent a 2nd rounder on Britt. What you're seeing is that they don't value the Guards as highly, thinking they can get by with average players and use the blocking scheme.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd be okay with an extension, but only after the offseason has completely played out. I wouldn't want to see him extended until they know for sure that they can fit him in after signing more important deals for Wilson, Wagner, and possibly Suh.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawks46":3vp8z7qe said:
Barthawk":3vp8z7qe said:

Well, this FO did draft Okung in the 1st round, along with Earl Thomas (and Okung was the 1st pick) so they have shown they will spend high draft capital on the right player.

They also spent a 2nd rounder on Britt. What you're seeing is that they don't value the Guards as highly, thinking they can get by with average players and use the blocking scheme.

Then again, their RG James Carpenter was also a First Round pick. There was always that possibility that he could move from RT to G. We just don't know yet whether he will be re-signed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt, you extend him.

As much as we hate all the false starts and nagging injuries, Okung is a top 10 LT that's making average LT money.

http://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

So easily extended for same salary, but actually counting less against the cap cause now we'd have another 3-4 years to spread it out. IMO no brainer.

jblaze

Reaction score
I think they'll extend him 3 years or so in 2016. A comparable would be Veldheer's contract, not someone like Clady's.

He's already rich, he got his 6 year contract before the new CBA so he's set up financially already. Also he really likes Seattle as a place to live. Seattle will pursue him for sure, with our draft position of being perennially in the 30's, we will not have a chance to draft another franchise LT and we won't overspend in free agency on a veteran.

He's a very good player when healthy. That's a big if but hopefully he can stay on the field and make this a no brainer.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Of course only the team knows the true state of Okung's health, but I say he's had a real run of bad luck, health-wise, that can only get better, the Trent Cole incident in particular.

The FO knows if the Trent Cole torn pectoral is a long-term issue. I tend to think Okung partially re-injured that this year and that was part of his struggles. Or perhaps Okung trying to protect that area led to a injury as a result of overcompensating/protecting. The team and FO wouldn't necessarily tell us the straight story, but they do know.

Okung's glass ankles seem to have been better this year; I don't know what to think about that. I'd like to think he's learned, in his NFL experience, how to protect himself a little better and avoid being put in a position where injuries are likely.

I say, sign him to an extension, with massive incentives for games started. And absolutely draft a promising tackle whenever one becomes available. And keep developing players who might be able to do that job at some point, e.g., Gary Gilliam.

Okung is one of our core players and we need him around for another good 5 years, hopefully a better 5 years, injury-wise, than the seasons so far of his rookie contract.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2tx6nd30 said:
I'd be okay with an extension, but only after the offseason has completely played out. I wouldn't want to see him extended until they know for sure that they can fit him in after signing more important deals for Wilson, Wagner, and possibly Suh.
YEP ^^

motivated87

Reaction score
Id say let him play it out.If he performs at a high level during the season extend him.
Like they did Kj this year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Meh, he's missed something like 36% of the regular season snaps due to injury and takes a holding or false start penalty every game. He's bearing down on 30 and has a chronic foot or ankle problem. I'd let him play it out and renew only on a cap friendly basis or he can move along.

Sounds cold but he's been actually overpaid for his service to the team given the injury history and the level of his play in all but his 2nd season. Not renewing him is business decision for the team and so is renewing him on terms favourable to the team.