Compensatory picks

vonstout

Reaction score
JS seems to think we are only going to get 3 comp picks and it appears it's for Tate, Browner, and Breno. Mc Donald could get us one more. Anyone know why Red or Clemons wouldn't be higher on the comp list than McDonald?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Red and CC were released. Not sure with McDonald, signed too late maybe? I think Maragos would count for a 6th/7th. I'm guessing Thurmond didn't play enough to justify one.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
We should get a pretty decent set of comp picks, whatever it ends up being. Will be nice for once to have a higher comp pick or two (normally we only get them at the end of the 7th).

nanomoz

Reaction score
It Tate doesn't net one of the highest comp picks awarded for 2015, I'm going to wig out.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
nanomoz":atoem66a said:
It Tate doesn't net one of the highest comp picks awarded for 2015, I'm going to wig out.

This was one of main reasons I was happy Tate made it to the Pro Bowl. I don't know what the formula for Comp picks is, but that can't hurt for bumping that pick up.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Here, it shows 4 comp picks for Seattle.
A 4-th for Tate, a 5-th for Browner, a 5-th for Giacomini & a 6-th for McDonald. They seem to be going by average yearly contract value & the actual picks awarded are based on a more complicated formula as far as I know. 4 comp picks would be nice if that is how it ends up. Picks in round 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7. Lots of later round picks means that PC/JS can stock up on high potential freaks and backup players with promise. I like it.

http://overthecap.com/draft

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
With picks in those mid-rounds, I expect to get 4-5 future pro-bowlers. :th2thumbs:

I know, that's optimistic. But my-my, how my expectations for this team have changed in 10 years...

sutz

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":67unpyb0 said:
A 4-th for Tate, a 5-th for Browner, a 5-th for Giacomini & a 6-th for McDonald. They seem to be going by average yearly contract value & the actual picks awarded are based on a more complicated formula as far as I know. 4 comp picks would be nice if that is how it ends up. Picks in round 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7. Lots of later round picks means that PC/JS can stock up on high potential freaks and backup players with promise. I like it.

Or wheel and deal to move around the board and snipe players they like. I know they 99% probably won't try to move up in the 1st, and I'm OK with that. But if they traded the #1 (which is a glorified #2 anyway) they could pick up a couple of more 2/3rd day picks, be able to do some deals, and still end up with 10 new players.

:)

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":34bj1la2 said:
With picks in those mid-rounds, I expect to get 4-5 future pro-bowlers. :th2thumbs:

I know, that's optimistic. But my-my, how my expectations for this team have changed in 10 years...
I know right? I remember in the 2011 draft even with a terrible secondary I read a number of posters who were like Sherman and Maxwell they'll be lucky to be backups and I was thinking are you crazy it's not Trufant and Jennings were good players, both were average or below, but that was the thinking back then about late round picks.. Now we're excited for day 3 nearly as much as the day 2 stuff.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Of the 6 players that received a higher APY than Tate in last year's free agency period, only 2 (Talib and Whitner) made the Pro-Bowl. I'm thinking that there's more to compensatory picks than just the size of a contract or the APY. I think level of play factors into it as well (or at least it should). Tate's contract along with his level of play this past year should (should) net us a 3rd round pick. So that's what I'm hoping for.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ level of play doesn't factor in.

It's fa gained and lost canceling out

And then contract size for qualifying players (rostered at least 8 games, iirc)

With a capped number of comp picks awarded in total.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1pkwupg4 said:

Comp picks are awarded based on a formula that takes into account free agents lost and free agents signed, as well as salaries, playing time and postseason awards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_ ... tory-picks

In terms of what '77 said, postseason awards supposedly do contribute to this 'secret formula'.

A

Anonymous

SomersetHawk":3p7ye2b8 said:
Popeyejones":3p7ye2b8 said:

Comp picks are awarded based on a formula that takes into account free agents lost and free agents signed, as well as salaries, playing time and postseason awards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_ ... tory-picks

In terms of what '77 said, postseason awards supposedly do contribute to this 'secret formula'.

Thanks for providing this link and explanantion, Somerset.

Good stuff.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sutz":2shldiab said:
CamanoIslandJQ":2shldiab said:

Or wheel and deal to move around the board and snipe players they like. I know they 99% probably won't try to move up in the 1st, and I'm OK with that. But if they traded the #1 (which is a glorified #2 anyway) they could pick up a couple of more 2/3rd day picks, be able to do some deals, and still end up with 10 new players.

Beat me to it. The one thing I'd disagree with is needing 10 new players. We need about 6 higher quality players really...any more than that and we're wasting draft picks as guys won't make the team.

I look at it like SF's drafts a couple years ago and last year where they had stockpiled a bunch of draft picks, but had a very talented roster over all, so they traded up to get better players at higher picks. I can see us doing that if we get the guys PC and JS really want.

Seriously, we can upgrade what ? Interior OL, maybe OL depth, DL depth, upgrade at 3 Tech DT maybe, RCB, churn secondary depth.....then WR and TE. 6 decent players make a huge difference here, whereas 10 guys that need to develop ...not so much.

We're already developing guys like Shead, Pinkins, Simon, at least 3 on the DL, KPL, our OL depth, WR depth (Norwood and Richardson again, maybe Matthews), and Christine Michael is still a work in progress IMO.

If our young guys in progress pan out, great, but we need impact guys with skill sets we don't have at interior OL, WR and TE. RCB is a concern to me as well. But I trust the FO to get guys that will work, they do that every year.

stang233

Reaction score
If we only get a fourth for Golden I will flip out. The niners got a 3rd for Goldson who signed a five year, $41.25 million contract, including $22 million guaranteed. Tate signed a five-year, $31 million contract with the Detroit Lions. The deal includes $13.25 million guaranteed. Slightly less money, Goldson played in 13 games with 54 tackles and one int and no pro bowl mentions.... Tate 1330 yards, 4 TDs, and played in the Probowl......

LTH

Reaction score
They cant trade comp picks right?

LTH

Reaction score
sutz":1w7t5lqw said:
CamanoIslandJQ":1w7t5lqw said:

History says they will trade down if they can... They like lots of picks... almost as much as dounuts... :)