NFL.com: Offseason Forecast - Seattle Seahawks

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000468271/article/offseason-forecast-seattle-seahawks?campaign=twitter_atn_wesseling[/urltargetblank]

Chris Wesseling's take on what we may do to reload this offseason.

Nothing really ground breaking here. Not even all that in-depth, but it's the off-season and Free Agency doesn't start for weeks.

Among other things, he lists Miller and Mebane as likely to be gone, and says our biggest need is WR.

A

Anonymous

kidhawk":2pcgz42a said:
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000468271/article/offseason-forecast-seattle-seahawks?campaign=twitter_atn_wesseling[/urltargetblank]

Nothing really ground breaking here. Not even all that in-depth, but it's the off-season and Free Agency doesn't start for weeks.

Among other things, he lists Miller and Mebane as likely to be gone, and says our biggest need is WR.

Mebane?

Nooooooo....

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":67r7lmm7 said:
kidhawk":67r7lmm7 said:

Mebane?

Nooooooo....

Whenever an older vet comes into his last year of their contract, there's always going to be speculation. I don't think we are going to get a guy like Suh, and without a guy like Suh, we really should be holding onto a guy like Mebane. He doesn't get a lot of stats, but he is the workhorse of that line and should get a lot more credit than he actually does.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kidhawk":cj77xr0k said:
HoustonHawk82":cj77xr0k said:
kidhawk":cj77xr0k said:

Mebane?

Nooooooo....

Whenever an older vet comes into his last year of their contract, there's always going to be speculation. I don't think we are going to get a guy like Suh, and without a guy like Suh, we really should be holding onto a guy like Mebane. He doesn't get a lot of stats, but he is the workhorse of that line and should get a lot more credit than he actually does.

Well, the curious thing is that people keep speculating that if we get Suh, we don't need Mebane.

The two players don't play the same position. Suh can take up double teams, but it's not where he's special. He's the best at lining up at the 3 tech and obliterating 1 on 1 blocking. Then, you have to double team him. He still occupies the double team, but having a guy like Mebane would be killer here, as Mebane usually dominates 1 vs 1 blocks as well. Mebane's special talent is actually taking on dt's and splitting them and getting penetration.

Mebane's hit this year is what, 5.5 mil ? We can save money by cutting him, but we don't have to cut him by any means. And Kidhawk is right...you don't see the stats but Mebane still has a huge impact on the field.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":hxydme45 said:
kidhawk":hxydme45 said:
HoustonHawk82":hxydme45 said:
kidhawk":hxydme45 said:

Mebane?

Nooooooo....

Well, the curious thing is that people keep speculating that if we get Suh, we don't need Mebane.

The two players don't play the same position. Suh can take up double teams, but it's not where he's special. He's the best at lining up at the 3 tech and obliterating 1 on 1 blocking. Then, you have to double team him. He still occupies the double team, but having a guy like Mebane would be killer here, as Mebane usually dominates 1 vs 1 blocks as well. Mebane's special talent is actually taking on dt's and splitting them and getting penetration.

Mebane's hit this year is what, 5.5 mil ? We can save money by cutting him, but we don't have to cut him by any means. And Kidhawk is right...you don't see the stats but Mebane still has a huge impact on the field.

Suh and Mebane aren't the same position, but there's only so much position money available, and even at a huge discount, Suh's contract would be prohibitive of keeping Mebane at his current rate. We'd likely put a younger guy at the position or restructure Mebane's contract to lower the hit significantly.

With that said, I still don't believe we will be getting Suh, and I believe we'll keep Mebane, because he is a very important cog in that defense. Then again, I didn't think we could land Bennett and Avril in Free Agency 2 off seasons ago, so what do I know?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":37s6cnot said:
kidhawk":37s6cnot said:

Mebane?

Nooooooo....

Few things regarding Mebane.

1. Contract

It is a bit high, although appropriate for a player of his skill. Looking at our cap figures, there are three contracts that can provide significant relief if it's needed. Lynch (7m), Mebane (5.5m) and McDaniel (3m) Mebane's deal happens to provide the least amount of dead money loss. So from a 'we need cap space' concern, Mebane's contract is the most attractive on the entire roster to part with.

2. Replacement options

Mebane is a quality 1 tech. Unfortunately for him, that's a position that generally doesn't get addressed until late day 2 of the draft. And good replacement options can usually be found in round 4 of most drafts. While the player quality wouldn't be the same -- the overall drop in production relative to the gain in cap value would make a lot of sense.

3. Age

Mebane isn't 'old'. But he's not young either. On the final year of his second contract. If he plays out his deal here, his options on the open market are going to be rather modest.

In the grand scheme, Mebane's deal is very likely to be the first one to go if the team needs to find cap space. It's not a reflection on him as a player. He's definitely worth that 5m contract. But when you have a team replete with guys who are worth big contracts -- you have to pick and choose which ones you must keep, and which ones you can reasonably replace. Mebane's position is such that it is relatively inexpensive to replace. Maybe not to Mebane's quality. But you aren't sacrificing your team's effectiveness if you incur a drop at that position.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":13aax657 said:

All good points, and at this time, I don't think that there are too many that can argue against them.
I've come to grips with the idea that Byron Maxwell has become a luxury that the Seahawks just won't be able to afford to keep.

Kind of a bummer to accept the fact that Mebane is more than likely done in Seattle :( though it does make me wonder what Schneider has cooking on the back burner....Is there a remote possibility that Suh be in that recipe?

I also agree that the way that Chris Matthews was featured in SB 49, that it was stark evidence of what has been missing since Sid Rice's departure.. ..Don't get me wrong, I love Baldwin, and the sometimes successful Kearse, BUT I think it's time to quit pussyfooting around, and go after a true #1 WR, either in FA, or in the Draft, because it doesn't make an ounce of sense to have multi-million$ tied up in $igning Russell Wilson, and then tie one of his hands behind his back.

Oh, and thanks for the link Kid :th2thumbs:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
How is this an "official" forecast? This is just the opinion of one NFL.com writer.

I doubt Zach Miller will be cut. This offense needs a great blocker with reliable hands, and Willson pairs nicely with him as more of a downfield threat. We missed Miller last season.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1txgh3hb said:
How is this an "official" forecast? This is just the opinion of one NFL.com writer.

I doubt Zach Miller will be cut. This offense needs a great blocker with reliable hands, and Willson pairs nicely with him as more of a downfield threat. We missed Miller last season.

That was my bad. Should have read "off season" It's fixed now.

LTH

Reaction score
Even though agree with some of his points , I have no respect for the national media out side of Sando...

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the real talking point taht we will never hear is how well both are coing along from injuries, they Dr.s and guys on the team are going to give their prognoses and tell Pete and John what is really up. Thats when we will see the move on decision. It won't come out becasue bnobody wants to label a player as damaged goods.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Meebs is still a bargain, and a guy who could have value into his mid 30s.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think Mebane is only gone if they upgrade the position significantly (namely Suh, or an unforeseen trade up for Shelton)

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Does anyone think Mebane would be open to restructuring for a lower cap hit and more guaranteed money over maybe next 2 years? I don't know if I would want him on contract past the age of 31-32

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
While I won't go so far as to say that they won't get rid of Mebane, (i.e. Clemons and Bryant before him) it is just foolish to dismiss this guys presence in the middle of that line. Sure the stats say we improved in his absence but I think that was more a function of improving health elsewhere than with Mebane himself. All this talk about moving on from Mebane, Miller etc is bothersome when we have 3 guys on the OL that are seriously underperforming their contracts or in the case of Carp simply struggle to live up to expectation of their draft status. Maybe I am off base? I am all set to be weeping like a school girl again (as I did with Clemons departure) if we do lose either Bane or Miller.