Salary cap to be between 140-143M

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/568114386369249280[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Always a good thing when trying to keep your own. Doesn't really change Free Agency from a team perspective as every team has the same excess, but it should help us in structuring our own and being able to dabble a bit.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Yep, definitely the right way to look at it.

And spot on that it's about structuring contracts to keep a team's own players rather than the ability to just keep them outright (agents know the cap has increased too... :) ).

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kidhawk":30a89n7w said:
Always a good thing when trying to keep your own. Doesn't really change Free Agency from a team perspective as every team has the same excess, but it should help us in structuring our own and being able to dabble a bit.

My thoughts exactly.

Should be easy to fit Wilson/Wagner/Lynch all under the cap with some room to bring in a couple vet FA's

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3lchj81g said:
kidhawk":3lchj81g said:

My thoughts exactly.

Should be easy to fit Wilson/Wagner/Lynch all under the cap with some room to bring in a couple vet FA's
Maybe even a splash move in free agency if they wanted. I wonder if they are interested in Randall Cobb if they don't (can't) go after Brandon Marshall since Fitzgerald resigned with Arizona? Especially since a guy like Cameron Jordon shouldn't be very expensive if they go that route.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Most of the salary cap project sites already expected the cap to be 142M minimum so the numbers most have been using to toy with 2015 Free Agency spending hasn't really changed. With the top 51 active roster counting against the cap and a 143M limit we are still looking at $24,330,922 unspent at the moment.

Basis4day

Reaction score
This is a good time to remind people to think long term when terms of a high end contract are announced.

Sometimes a contract will seem high today, but always consider how high the cap may rise over the life of the contract.

Salary cap was to be 120.6 million when FA began for the 2012 season. Three years later the cap is about 20 million more per year.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Basis4day":16jbuar0 said:
Salary cap was to be 120.6 million when FA began for the 2012 season. Three years later the cap is about 20 million more per year.

Another way to look at it is that when FA began for the 2012 season, we were barely starting to think about Wilson's huge upcoming contract, and we didn't have the money for it. Now that we're ready to do it, it's already built into the salary cap.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1egk744a said:
Basis4day":1egk744a said:

Another way to look at it is that when FA began for the 2012 season, we were barely starting to think about Wilson's huge upcoming contract, and we didn't have the money for it. Now that we're ready to do it, it's already built into the salary cap.

Yeah. I was mainly used 2012 because it was the year the Seahawks really turned around and the fact that it was only three years ago. When a lot of new deals are in 3-4 years in length, having 20 extra million to work with is a lot.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":14uezihm said:
Most of the salary cap project sites already expected the cap to be 142M minimum so the numbers most have been using to toy with 2015 Free Agency spending hasn't really changed. With the top 51 active roster counting against the cap and a 143M limit we are still looking at $24,330,922 unspent at the moment.

Plus the 4.5M carryover from last year. I believe this is the last year you can carryover cap space to the following season.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Anyone else here think that the athlete's agents are just going to use this as leverage for inflation of salaries. I don't think it's going to help any team.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1fjoczq5 said:
Anyone else here think that the athlete's agents are just going to use this as leverage for inflation of salaries. I don't think it's going to help any team.

Hummm...where have I heard the phrase, "An incoming tide raises all boats"?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ZagHawk":xk5chv00 said:

They try for sure, but that doesn't mean teams are going to give them more than market value............except for maybe the top 4-5 bigtime free agents.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Barthawk":1gihcss7 said:
Bigbadhawk":1gihcss7 said:

Plus the 4.5M carryover from last year. I believe this is the last year you can carryover cap space to the following season.

The carry over is already figured into the numbers I listed. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/ and scrolls to the bottom of the page. Just add 1 million to the Cap Space (w/Top 51) line since they are basing their numbers off of 142M and the report is now as high as 143M.

Basis4day

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2447cbzt said:

They can try, but the FO can balance it by saying the cap that far out isn't known. Then they argue and it's balanced out by offering more guaranteed money sooner which is cash in pocket now.

There is no guarantee that the cap will keep rising, but projections point that way.