Percy's Draft Pick Compensation

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/568145932245549056[/tweet]

Edited title....compensatory picks are completely different from trade compensation.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Great news. Cutting him never made sense to me. Hopefully they make it work

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Ok, so the most optimistic forecast of our draft picks looks like: 1,2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,6,7.

That would be with us getting a 3rd for Golden, 4th for Browner, Percy, 5th for Giac and 6th for C-Mac.

BigMeach

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2um0tgd2 said:
Ok, so the most optimistic forecast of our draft picks looks like: 1,2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,6,7.

That would be with us getting a 3rd for Golden, 4th for Browner, Percy, 5th for Giac and 6th for C-Mac.

Somerset, what would it look like worst case scenario?

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2n9ue8xf said:

How did it not make sense? The guy was a cancer and not a team player. Look at our record once he was gone that should make sense of it.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
BigMeach":d1jjz1sj said:
SomersetHawk":d1jjz1sj said:

Tate=4
Browner=5
Breno=5
Harvin=6

Nothing for McDonald/Thurmond

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":1lngluyg said:
Hawkfan77":1lngluyg said:

How did it not make sense? The guy was a cancer and not a team player. Look at our record once he was gone that should make sense of it.
Oh he was those things for the Jets? Because I haven't heard that

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":29z6obks said:
BigMeach":29z6obks said:
SomersetHawk":29z6obks said:

Tate=4
Browner=5
Breno=5
Harvin=6

Did we sign anyone big to offset any of those picks? Does re-signing your own free agents off set any picks?

If we can get those extra picks, that would be awesome.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":3ejte0zf said:
Hawkfan77":3ejte0zf said:
BigMeach":3ejte0zf said:
SomersetHawk":3ejte0zf said:

Tate=4
Browner=5
Breno=5
Harvin=6

Did we sign anyone big to offset any of those picks? Does re-signing your own free agents off set any picks?

If we can get those extra picks, that would be awesome.
Hawks did not make any gains in free agency so there is nothing to offset any compensatory picks. The Kevin Williams signing doesn't count because of the date he was signed. Also the max amount of compensatory picks a team is allowed is 4.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3l4itah0 said:
BigMeach":3l4itah0 said:
SomersetHawk":3l4itah0 said:

Tate=4
Browner=5
Breno=5
Harvin=6

Even if we get nothing for McDonald and Thurmond, McQuistan should net a 7th. And if he somehow doesn't, then Maragos will.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2rz36vw7 said:
Hawkfan77":2rz36vw7 said:
BigMeach":2rz36vw7 said:
SomersetHawk":2rz36vw7 said:

Tate=4
Browner=5
Breno=5
Harvin=6

Even if we get nothing for McDonald and Thurmond, McQuistan should net a 7th. And if he somehow doesn't, then Maragos will.
I was going off of what Schneider said on 710 ESPN (I believe) when he mentioned having 10 picks depending on the compensatory process

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2w7p5316 said:
I was going off of what Schneider said on 710 ESPN (I believe) when he mentioned having 10 picks depending on the compensatory process

That's cool. Who am I to suggest Schneids is wrong, but on the face of it we have 7 guys who would qualify for comp picks this year. It's up in the air about whether McDonald met the deadline, and Thurmond didn't play, but McQuistan and Maragos have contracts that would give us 7th round comps.

I don't know where he got 10 from, obviously something's amiss.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1m60092o said:
Hawkfan77":1m60092o said:

That's cool. Who am I to suggest Schneids is wrong, but on the face of it we have 7 guys who would qualify for comp picks this year. It's up in the air about whether McDonald met the deadline, and Thurmond didn't play, but McQuistan and Maragos have contracts that would give us 7th round comps.

Yeah it was confusing to me as well. I thought it was basically a done deal that the Hawks would get the full 4 comp picks. And I still think they do. Who knows, maybe it was a slip of the tongue.

I'm still holding out hope for a 3rd for Tate and a 4th for Browner :th2thumbs:

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1yt71tp9 said:
SomersetHawk":1yt71tp9 said:
Hawkfan77":1yt71tp9 said:

Yeah it was confusing to me as well. I thought it was basically a done deal that the Hawks would get the full 4 comp picks. And I still think they do. Who knows, maybe it was a slip of the tongue.

Yeh, we'll probably be screwed out of the 3rd and 4th by the NFL's 'secret formula' but given that Tate just had himself a pro bowl year and Brandon Browner made a play that contributed to us losing the Super Bowl we should be getting to 3rds. No doubt it will be a 4th and a 5th though. Still, we'll probably pick some future all-pros there.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1m1c34u4 said:
SomersetHawk":1m1c34u4 said:
Hawkfan77":1m1c34u4 said:

It could be argued (not that it matters in the formula) that both players cost the Seahawks a SB. Browner in it. And Tate just the realism if that was him or Baldwin on that slant they likely wouldn't have been ragdolled by Butler. Or its Browner on Tate, who might secured the pick a lot better for Jermaine Kearse.

Either way I would be estactic with an early 4th for Harvin and just the presumed 4, 5, 5, and 6 for the others.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":11fm4upk said:
Yeh, we'll probably be screwed out of the 3rd and 4th by the NFL's 'secret formula' but given that Tate just had himself a pro bowl year and Brandon Browner made a play that contributed to us losing the Super Bowl we should be getting to 3rds. No doubt it will be a 4th and a 5th though. Still, we'll probably pick some future all-pros there.

The formula isn't all that secret. AdamTJ13 basically figured it out years ago.

Neither Tate's stats nor Browner making a big play factor into the formula, though. ;)

(the only playing related factor is being on the active roster for 8 games).

EDIT: Also worth saying that J.S.'s uncertainty comes from there being a total cap on comp picks awarded, in addition to the no more than four per team cap.

It's possible that one of the Hawks' would-be end of 7th round comp picks end up being awarded to someone else higher on the comp pick list if all of the comp picks are slotted.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
The reason why we could end up with only 3 as Schneider feels is there are a max of 32 comp picks a year (1 for every team). Lets say due to the quality of comp picks on the list our 4th highest is the 33rd name on the list, well we would be out of luck due to the cutoff at 32. Its just not the quality of the guys we lost vs what we gained but its also the rest of the league and how the comp list plays out.

If there was no max limit of comp picks for the teams combined then sure we would have 4 no matter what. I hope that helps clear up some confusion on why there is a chance we could only end up with 3 this year.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":2fl4zmqu said:
The reason why we could end up with only 3 as Schneider feels is there are a max of 32 comp picks a year (1 for every team). Lets say due to the quality of comp picks on the list our 4th highest is the 33rd name on the list, well we would be out of luck due to the cutoff at 32. Its just not the quality of the guys we lost vs what we gained but its also the rest of the league and how the comp list plays out.

If there was no max limit of comp picks for the teams combined then sure we would have 4 no matter what. I hope that helps clear up some confusion on why there is a chance we could only end up with 3 this year.

Actually, I believe McQuistan and Maragos would be the 26th and 27th highest paid free agents respectively.