Rumor: RW to possibly play out rookie contract?

jblaze

Reaction score
Article on CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... k-megadeal

Whoa! There's a buzz flying around Twitter at the moment starting with an article from Jason LaConfora regarding Russell Wilson not extending this offseason and playing out his rookie contract and essentially pushing the salary cap hammer of having to pay a franchise QB back a year.

This is the first I've heard of it but apparently others are saying they thought this may happen as well. Several things come to mind with this:

1. RW is TRULY all about the team and winning if he's willing to do this. Moreso than anyone else to date in my opinion.
2. If this happens, we absolutely HAVE to lock up Wagner now so we have the franchise tag next year if we have to use it on RW.
3. This free's up a TON of cap room for this year and even next year if this happens. Next year because year 1 on QB contracts usually have low cap hits.
4. This may open the possibility of going after a big name FA.

Also in the article, he thinks the extension with Lynch is "close" and will get done.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If he does this.. he's two things..

1) Unbelievably unselfish
2) Nuts. Completely nuts.

Considering he's played his whole career with a salary that is less than many kickers in the NFL.. I am in the party that thinks he deserves whatever he wants. But if he's willing to do this.. amazing turn of events. And how could the locker room not rally around this kind of act?

I don't think it will happen, but who knows..

cacksman

Reaction score
jblaze":2atconbt said:
Article on CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... k-megadeal

Whoa! There's a buzz flying around Twitter at the moment starting with an article from Jason LaConfora regarding Russell Wilson not extending this offseason and playing out his rookie contract and essentially pushing the salary cap hammer of having to pay a franchise QB back a year.

This is the first I've heard of it but apparently others are saying they thought this may happen as well. Several things come to mind with this:

1. RW is TRULY all about the team and winning if he's willing to do this. Moreso than anyone else to date in my opinion.
2. If this happens, we absolutely HAVE to lock up Wagner now so we have the franchise tag next year if we have to use it on RW.
3. This free's up a TON of cap room for this year and even next year if this happens. Next year because year 1 on QB contracts usually have low cap hits.
4. This may open the possibility of going after a big name FA.

Also in the article, he thinks the extension with Lynch is "close" and will get done.

I think it's completely unfounded and they asked the question because they knew how Schneider would respond (by not giving any contract dealings away, as usual) and it would allow them to write this story.

The media sickens me.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
If he did this, I would increase his jersey sale numbers.

*reserving the rock clap gif if it does happens*

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me because of the type of person Wilson is, but I am not going to expect this either. He's earned a payday.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think it makes sense for either party, and it sounds like LaConfora is just speculating to me. One, you don't let your elite franchise QB sniff free agency. That is absurdly risky, even if you do get a bunch of winks and handshakes a year in advance. People's attitudes change constantly. You lock up the future now.

Also, the price tag is just going to get higher. If you do Wilson after Luck, you can't get ahead of QB/Salary Cap inflation.

Honestly, this might even play in Russell's favor if he's willing to gamble for a year. For Seattle, I would avoid this approach at all costs.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
I agree he's earned whatever he gets paid, no question about that. We couldn't ask for a better and more dedicated young man to represent our city and our team by doing things the right way when nowadays it's so rare.

That said, it's possible he believes in himself so much that he takes the gamble and puts this off for a year in order to give the team more chances to field a championship level team. I'm sure the SB is weighing on him (as the video released today shows) and maybe he feels compelled to do this to get back there, who knows.

Another interesting theory flying around is that his contract would be fully guaranteed and thus lower in maximum which would also help the team. I could see that also.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I hate this crap.

Writers throw out a plausible theory based on nothing, and everyone freaks out like he/she had inside information or talked to someone.

"Remember that time Flacco played out his contract and got paid! Well Russell could do that too guys!...........Probably won't! But could! RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

hawknation2015

Reaction score
This was not my impression from Schneider's press conference. He said Wilson's people "know where we're at," which makes me think there is perhaps a broad outline of an offer on the table.

It seems unlikely that Wilson would want to unnecessarily shoulder the risk and uncertainty of not having a long-term contract in place this season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":t0r4crbs said:
I don't think it makes sense for either party, and it sounds like LaConfora is just speculating to me. One, you don't let your elite franchise QB sniff free agency. That is absurdly risky, even if you do get a bunch of winks and handshakes a year in advance. People's attitudes change constantly. You lock up the future now.

Also, the price tag is just going to get higher. If you do Wilson after Luck, you can't get ahead of QB/Salary Cap inflation.

Honestly, this might even play in Russell's favor if he's willing to gamble for a year. For Seattle, I would avoid this approach at all costs.

I agree, it doesn't make sense, at least not the way people are taking it. Wilson is going to play under his rookie contract this year whether he extends or not. There is zero question about that. What he'll get this year is a big fat bonus check that's pro-rated. This is how you do it to help alleviate cap issues. If he holds out until next year, the salary for his position would be higher across the board due to the ever increasing cap and average player salaries.

I have seen some talk about a fully guaranteed contract with a lower per year average. That would make more sense to both sides.

jake206

Reaction score
Imagining Russell Wilson as a free agent, in the open market. :180670: He'd be the most sought after player. In other words, goodbye.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/568520558477864960[/tweet]

Then there is this.

AKA no one knows anything.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jake206":8ga3ygto said:
Imagining Russell Wilson as a free agent, in the open market. :180670: He'd be the most sought after player. In other words, goodbye.

He would never sniff the market.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2cmaky0n said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/568520558477864960[/tweet]

Then there is this.

AKA no one knows anything.

For some reason, I don't mind this idea for two reasons. (1) To have a fully guaranteed deal, which is not the NFL norm, he would have to be willing to take less overall money. Eliminating risk for him means lowering the burden for us. And (2) Wilson has never had a serious injury concern. If Wilson suffered some kind of career-ending injury, we would be in rebuild mode anyway.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jake206":1zp13jrj said:
No

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jake206":3rnuxxfd said:

He'd be franchised, and it really wouldn't affect our cap a whole lot according to Hsu

DAVIS HSU @DavisHsuSeattle · 1h 1 hour ago
2016 Franchise Tag prob $19.4M or so, Wilson cap hit in "Year 2" if done now likely $18M or so...so there is about $4-5M in cap savings...

For Wilson, it'd be the gamble of getting a fully guaranteed 19-23M a year if he's franchised vs. less guaranteed $$ over who knows how long the Hawks want him locked up. 5 years? 7 years?

I think this whole thing is silly. Russell loves Seattle, Seattle loves Russell........I can't think of a situation where all sides loved each other and couldn't work out a deal.

kidhawk

Reaction score
jake206":3d2mh6to said:

Franchise Quarterbacks don't hit the market very often. Manning leaving the Colts is one of those rare occasions where he was injured long term, and they tanked and got the most coveted rookie quarterback in the past decade. That isn't happening to us. With our defense, we'll win enough games to stay out of the hunt for top half picks for awhile yet, so he's not going anywhere. Everything is pure speculation. John said he's had talks with Russell's agents and there is no real timetable, but they will get it done this off season, of that I have zero doubt

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ca0fx2b said:
For Wilson, it'd be the gamble of getting a fully guaranteed 19-23M a year if he's franchised vs. less guaranteed $$ over who knows how long the Hawks want him locked up. 5 years? 7 years?

What do you mean by less guaranteed money? If he signs a long-term deal, he is going to get at least $50+ million guaranteed. Maybe I am not understanding what you wrote.

The biggest gamble he would be taking by not signing a new deal is playing out this year without any future guaranteed money, and thereby shouldering the tremendous burden of risk in the event that he got hurt.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Beer Hawk":24u8a5nx said:
They could be talking about signing him to an "extension" similar to Sherman.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... d-sherman/

That is the way John operates. He locks up his core guys with extensions before their rookie contract is up. They don't wipe away that last year of the deal, they play under it with a fat bonus check. It allows them a little more cushion in the cap while the player gets paid. It's a win win and a bonus you don't get so much when dealing with veteran free agents.