Opinion: Christine Michael to become hot trade target.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
No link just my opinion.

This is all depending on Lynch of course but I think thats more or less a done deal.

But the RBs in this draft class all mostly had a horrendous showing of pure athleticism.

Michaels has two more years on his contract... Which means if Lynch plays two more years, he doesn't.

Melvin Gordon looks like the only surefire pick right now and he might fall to early 2nd round (with Gurly rehabbing from his ACL. )

If Michael was in this draft, he argubly could be looking at being the 1st RB taken.

So I think you could possibly deal him for a pick in the 45-55 area at best for a RB hungry team.

Seahawks could flip him for a WR or OL that could contribute now instead of later.

A trade I suggested in another thread was Michael and McDaniel to ATL for #42. With a condiotional 2016 day three pick depending on Mi hael's success.

Just food for thought and discussion.

cacksman

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":rfy8cefu said:
No link just my opinion.

This is all depending on Lynch of course but I think thats more or less a done deal.

But the RBs in this draft class all mostly had a horrendous showing of pure athleticism.

Michaels has two more years on his contract... Which means if Lynch plays two more years, he doesn't.

Melvin Gordon looks like the only surefire pick right now and he might fall to early 2nd round (with Gurly rehabbing from his ACL. )

If Michael was in this draft, he argubly could be looking at being the 1st RB taken.

So I think you could possibly deal him for a pick in the 45-55 area at best for a RB hungry team.

A trade I suggested in another thread was Michael and McDaniel to ATL for #42. With a condiotional 2016 day three pick depending on Mi hael's success.

Just food for thought and discussion.

I could be wrong, but I don't think teams typically have throw ins for trade in the NFL (like McDaniel is in this case). McDaniel is not worth a trade to them either, because you can get similar/better production on the free agent market for free.

Michael is also definitely not worth a pick in the 45-60 range. Like you said, he has 2 years left on his contract. Only 2 years left. This draft is still a very good RB draft, and someone can just draft one in that range, even if they might not be quite as good, and have low cost control over them for twice as long. I'd be surprised to see him traded, but unless you just straight rip a team off (Cleveland-Indianapolis), Michael isn't going for a 2nd round pick. In my opinion it would be early 4 at best.

Rat

Reaction score
I know if Michael were on another team, and we didn't have Lynch, I'd be clamoring for a guy who can barely get on the field, despite playing the non-special teams position with the smallest learning curve.

Michael going ahead of Gurley/Gordon? Drunk posting is a bad idea.

jake206

Reaction score
Christine Michael will not be a hot trade commodity. He's a 3rd down back, prone to fumbling. He'll maybe net a 7th rounder, otherwise. Backs like him are dime a dozen.

idahohawk

Reaction score
I think it was Aros who posted inside info on Michael very early in the season, possibly pre-season. Since that post, I've been out on Michael. Tons of athleticism & explosiveness, not so much in the mental aspect (pass protect, schemes, etc) and ball security.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
When La Canfora reports he is hearing this from sources, I think we have our man.

In all honestly, it's very possible (even likely) but also too early to speculate about this because we have incomplete information on whether Lynch plays next year and whether we actually draft another RB.

They could also decide to trade or release Turbin, if they pick up a better 3rd down back in the draft, given that he has only one year left on his rookie deal and has perhaps less upside than Michael.

northseahawk

Reaction score
The thing is why is CM considered a fumble prone player? I mean i hear people on this forum and radio mentioning this and make it sound like he is fumbling every other touch.

cacksman

Reaction score
northseahawk":2ftqqjev said:
The thing is why is CM considered a fumble prone player? I mean i hear people on this forum and radio mentioning this and make it sound like he is fumbling every other touch.

He's not fumble prone. They just heard one radio interview from a coach (RBs coach I believe) that said Michael needs to learn to switch his ball carrying hands. That's all. It's not like the coaching staff really believes he is turnover prone, or else why would half of his carries this year have came when the team was trailing or tied? He just hasn't been able to get on the field because he's playing behind Lynch, the best back in the NFL, and Turbin who's an elite pass game back.

crosfam

Reaction score
can he return kicks and punts - we could use that.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
He still has blocking issues, and the body of evidence in actual games is not big enough to determine fumbler/non-fumbler status; however, switching hands was not the only ball-security risk that was brought up about him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jake206":23ypmm0w said:

I think that was in the preseason. He had a couple drops then, his playing time dwindled to nothing, and people speculated that it was because of the fumbles. He started to get some significant carries against Arizona, then fumbled again, and only got one more carry the rest of the season. It's all about the ball . . . Carroll doesn't like fumbling. Hopefully ball security is something he will continue to improve on because, if he does, he has a unique skill set to contribute dynamic plays to this offense as both a runner and receiver out of the backfield.

jake206

Reaction score
hawknation2015":dde2hgza said:
jake206":dde2hgza said:

I think that was in the preseason. He had a couple drops then, his playing time dwindled to nothing, and people speculated that it was because of the fumbles. He started to get some significant carries against Arizona, then fumbled again, and only got one more carry the rest of the season. It's all about the ball . . . Carroll doesn't like fumbling. Hopefully ball security is something he will continue to improve on because, if he does, he has a unique skill set to contribute dynamic plays to this offense as both a runner and receiver out of the backfield.

Pre-season week 2 vs Chargers

The only time I've seen him come in is 1 or two plays was to give Lynch a break. Otherwise, he had a couple of good plays in garbage time, then celebrates like world's on fire. Overrated. Robert Turbin has been so much better at being a workhorse. Christine Michael will never be a feature back. He can't run in between the numbers without a clean lane or a fumble.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jake206":bu33vxq5 said:
hawknation2015":bu33vxq5 said:
jake206":bu33vxq5 said:

Reg. season: Week 2 vs. San Diego Chargers.

The only time I've seen him come in is 1 or two plays. He had a couple of good plays in garbage time, then celebrates like world's on fire. Overrated. Robert Turbin been so much better at being a workhorse. Christine Michael will never be a feature back. He can't run in between the numbers without a clean lane.

No carries for Michael in Week 2. He was inactive.

He looked good in that SD preseason game . . . until the fumble.

EzELQbN

jake206

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1l3ldddv said:
jake206":1l3ldddv said:
hawknation2015":1l3ldddv said:
jake206":1l3ldddv said:

Pre- season: Week 2 vs. San Diego Chargers.

The only time I've seen him come in is 1 or two plays. He had a couple of good plays in garbage time, then celebrates like world's on fire. Overrated. Robert Turbin been so much better at being a workhorse. Christine Michael will never be a feature back. He can't run in between the numbers without a clean lane.

No carries for Michael in Week 2.

EzELQbN

Noted and fixed. This still doesn't dissuade me from thinking he's fumble prone.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jake206":3d50xusu said:
Noted and fixed. This still doesn't dissuade me from thinking he's fumble prone.

Maybe but that doesn't mean he can't improve on his ball security this off-season. I hope he wakes up every morning with a football high and tight in his hand. It's all about the ball, baby.

Marshawn had some ball security issues a few years ago, and his fumble rate has declined every year since then. I'm of course kidding about sleeping with the football, but it is something that can be improved upon with more work on the technique and fundamentals of holding the football while you run.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I don't know about Michael being a "hot" trade target, but for sure I could see it happening. Don't forget, in Pete Carroll's first year here (2010) the Seahawks made a draft day trade, swapping 4th and 6th Round picks with the Titans for Lendale White and Kevin Vickerson. And Leon Washington was also acquired during that same draft for a 5th Round Pick. Earlier that offseason, the Seahawks shipped CB Josh Wilson to the Ravens for a conditional 5th Round Pick ... and Lawrence Jackson was traded to the Lions for a 6th Round pick. Marshawn Lynch ended up being acquired for a 4th Round Pick and a conditional pick (which turned out to be a 5th Round pick).

So if Michael is ultimately traded, that's about what I'd see him netting -- a 5th or 6th round pick at best. Given the history, I'd say that's about the right price. It could happen, as it's obviously happened before. We'll see.

kearly

Reaction score
IIRC, Pete Carroll himself said that Michael's preseason fumbles were freak occurrences. Michael did everything right on those two plays, but sometimes fumbles happen anyway.

His fumble against Arizona was the first regular season fumble of his career, basically it's too soon to judge if he has a fumble problem based on the sample size so far. Of course, he still needs to learn to transfer the ball better when running and he did have a fumble problem in college. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

I think sometimes as fans we focus on negative plays too much. For example, DeMarco Murray is one of the more fumble prone RBs in the NFL. Many of the top WRs in the NFL, including even Jerry Rice, were well known for having drop problems. Sometimes great defensive players and great offensive linemen rack up penalties. It's annoying but these drawbacks can be overcome with high caliber play.

Turbin is improving every year, and he just doesn't fumble. He is not easy to beat out on a team that is all about the ball. But, Pete is also all about the big play, and Michael has the ability to be one of the best big play RBs in the league. I think the competition between the two is probably very close, but Turbin gets the edge due to his extra year of experience and for the simple reason that he suits a #2 RB role better than Michael does.

Given how rare fumbles are and how little a #2 RB touches the football, I would think that pass protection is a much bigger factor than fumbles for the #2 RB job. And Turbin, though hardly perfect in protection, is definitely a cut above Michael at this point.

But what happens when Lynch is done and these guys are competing for new jobs? Given that Turbin doesn't really have a ton of rushing talent and Michael doesn't have a lot of pass pro ability, it seems unlikely to me that Turbin-Michael would be the 1-2 in the post Lynch Seahawks.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":325z5ymq said:
IIRC, Pete Carroll himself said that Michael's preseason fumbles were freak occurrences. Michael did everything right on those two plays, but sometimes fumbles happen anyway.

His fumble against Arizona was the first regular season fumble of his career, basically it's too soon to judge if he has a fumble problem based on the sample size so far. Of course, he still needs to learn to transfer the ball better when running and he did have a fumble problem in college. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

I think sometimes as fans we focus on negative plays too much. For example, DeMarco Murray is one of the more fumble prone RBs in the NFL. Many of the top WRs in the NFL, including even Jerry Rice, were well known for having drop problems. Sometimes great defensive players and great offensive linemen rack up penalties. It's annoying but these drawbacks can be overcome with high caliber play.

Turbin is improving every year, and he just doesn't fumble. He is not easy to beat out on a team that is all about the ball. But, Pete is also all about the big play, and Michael has the ability to be one of the best big play RBs in the league. I think the competition between the two is probably very close, but Turbin gets the edge due to his extra year of experience and for the simple reason that he suits a #2 RB role better than Michael does.

Given how rare fumbles are and how little a #2 RB touches the football, I would think that pass protection is a much bigger factor than fumbles for the #2 RB job. And Turbin, though hardly perfect in protection, is definitely a cut above Michael at this point.

But what happens when Lynch is done and these guys are competing for new jobs? Given that Turbin doesn't really have a ton of rushing talent and Michael doesn't have a lot of pass pro ability, it seems unlikely to me that Turbin-Michael would be the 1-2 in the post Lynch Seahawks.

Before the season, you actually wanted Marshawn traded so Michael could be the feature back last year. You also said Michael has the pure explosiveness of Adrian Peterson. I like Michael's potential, but I wouldn't go that far. Not at all. I don't think he was ready for that responsibility this past season, given the need to develop other critical areas of his game (i.e. ball security, changing hands with the football, blocking, reading his blockers, etc.). And I'm certainly glad the front office never considered trading or releasing Marshawn to make room for Michael as the feature back.