Is Baldwin even a decent slot guy?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
IF you could pick between Baldwin and Bobby Engram in his prime I would take Engram every time. Do we need to upgrade at that position? Seems like we can do better.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2337guoj said:
IF you could pick between Baldwin and Bobby Engram in his prime I would take Engram every time. Do we need to upgrade at that position? Seems like we can do better.
I am convinced that if Baldwin was on a team like the Broncos or Patriots, he would have 100 plus catches per year.

Captain

Reaction score
No he sucks....

Doug-Baldwin-catch-b.gif

baldwin-tip-toe-sideline-catch-vs-texans.gif

Wilson Miracle

Russell-Wilson-runs-around-and-completes-a-pass-to-Doug-Baldwin.gif

We dont win a SB without any of those clutch catches.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":iakzr1e2 said:
Hmm, Pay attention Chukar, cuz class is about to begin.

misfit

Reaction score
I would consider Baldwin a top slot receiver in the NFL, probably top 5. Just because he was forced into a #1 WR role, don't hold that against him. Don't you remember what he did his rookie season?

hawksurething

Reaction score
Scottemojo":lesdm0nt said:
Chukarhawk":lesdm0nt said:
I am convinced that if Baldwin was on a team like the Broncos or Patriots, he would have 100 plus catches per year.

Wrong Peyton dogged the hawks & choose to meet with the cards & broncos,while refusing to even meet with the hawks cause he did not want our WR corp . fact !

In the media. They kept ragging on the hawks. Peyton even thought the bronocs is his best chance to win. http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop

Peyton would not even give hawks the curtousy to meet with the hawks ! http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/01/ ... er-broncos

He shewed our beloved coach & GM away like flies after they extended hospitalities to him,yet he went out of his way for the NFC cards & broncos. Peyton makes me sick !

With that said Baldwin is a good slot WR,he can be a pro bowler at that position as long as it is Wilson throwing him the ball,instead of Peyton's ducks that get WRs creamed ! ;)

olyfan63

Reaction score
Captain":26wxyj43 said:
No he sucks....

We dont win a SB without any of those clutch catches.

Total agreement. There were numerous plays in 2013-14, that without the play, the season turns out differently. Baldwin had a good 4 or 5 of those types of plays, including the regular season ones vs. Carolina and Houston that you showed. Baldwin doesn't make those plays, we don't win the division, maybe don't get to SB48.

For all his attitude and the ridiculous stupidity of his SB49 pooper "celebration", Baldwin is an excellent slot receiver, IMO certainly one of the top 10 slot guys in the NFL. Definitely not a weak spot.

hawksurething

Reaction score
misfit":3i31zjyh said:
I would consider Baldwin a top slot receiver in the NFL, probably top 5. Just because he was forced into a #1 WR role, don't hold that against him. Don't you remember what he did his rookie season?

So true !

Baldwin is a amazing WR. He was just put out of position with his limited skill set going against Elite #1 CBs & sucking in the red zone. But in the slot Baldwin is better than edleman ! At least i think he can be ?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Baldwin is good but this thread will be better

:snack:

drdiags

Reaction score
Weird how this topic got a brief sidetrack from how good a slot Baldwin is to some butt-hurt about Manning spurning the Seahawks. I am still trying to tie those two ideas together. I agree with Scottie, put Baldwin in a high-volume passing offense and he would be highly regarded.

Welker did great leaving Miami and heading to the Pats. He became the gold standard for awhile after moving on from the Dolphins.

cacksman

Reaction score
drdiags":16r0r9i8 said:
Weird how this topic got a brief sidetrack from how good a slot Baldwin is to some butt-hurt about Manning spurning the Seahawks. I am still trying to tie those two ideas together. I agree with Scottie, put Baldwin in a high-volume passing offense and he would be highly regarded.

Welker did great leaving Miami and heading to the Pats. He became the gold standard for awhile after moving on from the Dolphins.

Consider the source.
Do we have a mute/block button on here?

As per the OP's question, you're insane if you think Baldwin's abilities as a slot guy aren't great, let alone a problem.

kearly

Reaction score
WR is one of those position that is hard to get a bead on with the Seahawks. I thought Sidney Rice was Seattle's most talented WR when he was here, and yet he averaged only a few catches a game. When we had Matt Hasselbeck, it was really easy to figure out what kind of WRs he liked. He did much better with tall targets and with great route runners. With Wilson, I honestly have no idea what kind of WR he gravitates towards. Maybe what he needs is an improvisational scramble drill wizard to throw to, but Seattle hasn't found that WR yet.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Baldwin is a stud, period. He is bar none our best wr and is lights out in the slot.

sutz

Reaction score
kearly":3pw9qck5 said:
WR is one of those position that is hard to get a bead on with the Seahawks. I thought Sidney Rice was Seattle's most talented WR when he was here, and yet he averaged only a few catches a game. When we had Matt Hasselbeck, it was really easy to figure out what kind of WRs he liked. He did much better with tall targets and with great route runners. With Wilson, I honestly have no idea what kind of WR he gravitates towards. Maybe what he needs is an improvisational scramble drill wizard to throw to, but Seattle hasn't found that WR yet.
It's actually quite easy to say what kind of receivers Wilson likes.

He likes open receivers. ;)

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Baldwin converted 22 of 29 third down targets into first downs. Far and away the best ratio on the team. Including Lynch.

There was a reason Revis was shadowing Baldwin all game long. Doug is a very good slot guy. Very good quickness and hands. Very stubborn blocker. He is a very well rounded player who could really benefit from having another player opposite him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think it's just Baldwin is playing out of position.

Baldwin has gotten compliments from mutliple QBs about his skills, and it was Whitehurst who had the classic phrase about Baldwin "that's not separation, that's a divorce".

OP
OP
Chukarhawk

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":13853187 said:
Engram is 42 years old. What are you smoking?

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":3lhfbyy0 said:
I think Tate was as close as we've been in that regards, but yeah, Wilson would benefit to beat hell with another Sid Rice type Receiver that laid it all out there to make catches.
I hope that the Seahawks address this in the upcoming Draft.
I'd really like to see what Wilson could do with a tall and physical Receiver like Green Beckham, especially after they play together for a couple Seasons. :mrgreen:

Latest posts