Attributes that make #1WRs for the Hawks ?

hawksurething

Reaction score
It's time to find out what makes a 1000 yard & 8 TD NFL #1 WR in a run 1st scheme...

1. A WR that demands double coverage. Gets off the press with ease.
2. He must be able to block in the Hawks scheme.
3. Jump ball ability, catch radius & can contort body to any catch so DBs can't tip it or int the ball.
4. Strength to catch it even when pass interfered.
5. Strong hands catcher, instead of a body catcher.
6. Red zone producer
7. Attacks the ball. (We saw what happens when a WR can't get to the ball on timing routes in the Superbowl).
8. Good routes & can sink their hips (unless he is 6'2 & up due to their size, gait, hips, etc... Dez, Megatron, etc...all round their routes, but are the best WRs in the NFL because they have all of the above traits).
9. Comes back to the ball on the scramble to present a target (this is big with Wilson).
10. Will-power or fire attitude. (Dez, Thomas, Marshall, Fitz has it).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_receiver explains Wideouts positions

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthcharts.aspx shows where teams use their best WRs on the line to the left since they are the best option beat press at the line on their team. Some use them off the line on the right if they sstruggle with press & need a free release. Torry smith would seem to be used there as he struggles with press.

If fans can think of something else? Please share, I don't know it all :)

Sac

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin could have a Wes Welker type career if he played with Manning or Brady. I doubt any receiver playing for the 'Hawks is going to put up 90+ catches or 1200+ yards given how little we actually throw the ball.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":10nuxlxo said:
Doug Baldwin could have a Wes Welker type career if he played with Manning or Brady. I doubt any receiver playing for the 'Hawks is going to put up 90+ catches or 1200+ yards given how little we actually throw the ball.

Then why did Peyton refuse to play with the hawks WR corp ? He choose the broncos all star WR corp & snuffed us. :(

Its a reason I don't like Peyton,since he dogged the hawks.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":131o7bxe said:
You mean concussed?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawksurething":14aw522d said:
SacHawk2.0":14aw522d said:

Then why did Peyton refuse to play with the hawks WR corp ? He choose the broncos all star WR corp & snuffed us. :(

What in the world are you talking about? He wanted to stay in the AFC so he wouldn't face his brother in a possible playoff game. Had nothing to do with personnel.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1ml8g97v said:
SacHawk2.0":1ml8g97v said:
You mean concussed?

Lol. So true since Peyton has always thrown ducks that pro bowl WRs must make ridiculous catches for.

Its the reason he choose the bronocs WRs who made even Tebow a playoff QB. Lol.

Peyton wears Russell Wilson pajamas. ;)

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1qxiu5eu said:
hawksurething":1qxiu5eu said:
SacHawk2.0":1qxiu5eu said:

What in the world are you talking about? He wanted to stay in the AFC so he wouldn't face his brother in a possible playoff game. Had nothing to do with personnel.

That's not what was said in the media. They kept ragging on the hawks. Peyton even said the bronocs is his best chance to win. http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop

Peyton would not even give hawks the curtousy to meet with the hawks ! http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/01/ ... er-broncos

He shewed our beloved coach & GM away like flies after they extended hospitalities to him,yet he went out of his way for the NFC cards & broncos. Peyton makes me sick !

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawksurething":5a87m7zz said:
Hasselbeck":5a87m7zz said:
hawksurething":5a87m7zz said:
SacHawk2.0":5a87m7zz said:

That's not what was said in the media. They kept ragging on the hawks. Peyton even said the bronocs is his best chance to win.

And those WR's prior to Peyton's arrival were nothing special either. Aside from Demaryius Thomas, who started to come into his own the year before.

But Decker? Julius Thomas? Complete non-factors until Peyton was QB.

So your whole anti-Peyton diatribe you're on with every point about the Seahawks (what they have to do with each other.. I dont know) is wrong. The finalists that year for Peyton were all AFC teams, except San Francisco.. which almost lured him over to the NFC because of how close they were to the Super Bowl that season.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score

Its a reason I don't like Peyton,since he dogged the hawks.[/quote]

What in the world are you talking about? He wanted to stay in the AFC so he wouldn't face his brother in a possible playoff game. Had nothing to do with personnel.[/quote]

That's not what was said in the media. They kept ragging on the hawks. Peyton even said the bronocs is his best chance to win.[/quote]

And those WR's prior to Peyton's arrival were nothing special either. Aside from Demaryius Thomas, who started to come into his own the year before.

But Decker? Julius Thomas? Complete non-factors until Peyton was QB.

So your whole anti-Peyton diatribe you're on with every point about the Seahawks (what they have to do with each other.. I dont know) is wrong. The finalists that year for Peyton were all AFC teams, except San Francisco.. which almost lured him over to the NFC because of how close they were to the Super Bowl that season.[/quote]

Wrong...decker had 8 TDs with even Tebow. Fact ! So my anit-peyton opinion is valid.
Plus he snuffed our coach & GM ! Forget Peyton ! After reading the links i gave hawks fans...You can still like him though. Not me. ;)

Go Hawks.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
hawksurething":1azg42wr said:
SacHawk2.0":1azg42wr said:

I see you making this response to just about every Baldwin thread (ZOMG Peyton hates on our WRs!) and I think that:
A) you grossly oversimplify the issue
B) you conveniently ignore that Manning was right and turned his choice into the most prolific offense in the NFL ever
C) you assume that Manning's choice is relevant when assessing an individual receiver
D) you fall into the trap of equating quality with draft selection
E) you conveniently ignore that Peyton would not work in Bevell's scheme

Fact of the matter is that Manning needs a Denver-style dink-and-dunk YAC-based offense because, as we demonstrated in the Super Bowl by shutting down everything short and forcing him to make longer throws, he can't throw long.

Bevell's offense relies on the power running game to commit defenders to the line of scrimmage, and the passing game is then designed to throw into the open territories created behind the linebackers. Those throws are not Manning-friendly at this point in his career, and take more time to develop than our OL can defend, necessitating a mobile QB - which Manning is most definitely not.

So please - let's put this crying over Manning to bed, because
A) If we had Manning we wouldn't have Wilson
B) We'll have Wilson long after manning retires
C) We don't need Manning to lift the Lombardi - statistically the opposite is true
D) We absolutely destroyed Manning to lift the Lombardi

Sac

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2ap7qnc8 said:
hawksurething":2ap7qnc8 said:
SacHawk2.0":2ap7qnc8 said:

I see you making this response to just about every Baldwin thread (ZOMG Peyton hates on our WRs!) and I think that:
B) you conveniently ignore that Manning was right and turned his choice into the most prolific offense in the NFL ever
C) you assume that Manning's choice is relevant when assessing an individual receiver

Fact of the matter is that Manning needs a Denver-style dink-and-dunk YAC-based offense because, as we demonstrated in the Super Bowl by shutting down everything short and forcing him to make longer throws, he can't throw long.

Bevell's offense relies on the power running game to commit defenders to the line of scrimmage, and the passing game is then designed to throw into the open territories created behind the linebackers. Those throws are not Manning-friendly at this point in his career, and take more time to develop than our OL can defend, necessitating a mobile QB - which Manning is most definitely not.

C) We don't need Manning to lift the Lombardi - statistically the opposite is true

^^
This. All of this. The OP's argument is invalid.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Who cares if Peyton snubbed the Seahawks a few years ago. He ended up on the wrong side of a 43-8 in the biggest game of the 2013 season. His record against the Seahawks is 0-2 in the regular and post season combined. When it counts, he can't beat the Seahawks. If Peyton would have said yes, then Russell Wilson would most likely not be a Seahawk. He did a favor to the Seahawks.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
If there is such a thing as a WR who demands double coverage I'm sure I should have seen Bigfoot or Aliens by now. :16:

Vetamur

Reaction score
Whats the point of this thread? It starts with a list of attributes any great WR should have..as if we were all just learning about something called "foosball" for the first time..

and then degenerated into the OP continuing his well practiced "I hate Manning" routine with some of the same links from other threads.

and its SNUBBED. BB. Manning SNUBBED the Seahawks. He didnt snuff them. Snuffing someone means you killed them.

Manning didnt go to Seattle because Seattle emphasizes the run and doesnt spend on offense. He is comfortable in his own offense, hes almost an OC in himself, and he therefore likes to have what he perceives to be more talented receivers around him.

There is a salary cap in the NFL. You cant spend huge bucks at every position. If youre going to field the #1 defense year after year and pay some of the talent to hang around for second contracts, then you need to find a way to make a budget effective offense. Pay 1 RB and 1 QB and then get a bunch of talented but flawed WRs and you do that. But its not a great way to convince Manning to play for your team. He went to the best fit FOR HIM. Get over it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Nah, man.....you just don't understand. Dude can create or trade for WRs on Madden with ease and that loser Schneider should be able too as well. You know, a WR who commands double teams to their faces and can even crop dust defenders as he runs by them.

Vetamur

Reaction score
vin.couve12":377olokm said:
Nah, man.....you just don't understand. Dude can create or trade for WRs on Madden with ease and that loser Schneider should be able too as well. You know, a WR who commands double teams to their faces and can even crop dust defenders as he runs by them.

OH. Well, yea, that explains it. Consider my rant revoked and I look forward to many more enlightening threads. Hopefully the next is "Attributes that make a good Tight End" because that whole position has me confused.

Sac

Reaction score
Vetamur":31w4p7xl said:
vin.couve12":31w4p7xl said:

OH. Well, yea, that explains it. Consider my rant revoked and I look forward to many more enlightening threads. Hopefully the next is "Attributes that make a good Tight End" because that whole position has me confused.
Veta is my hero.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":37wjxeud said:
hawksurething":37wjxeud said:
SacHawk2.0":37wjxeud said:

1.Of course Wilson is better than Peyton. Its in most of my post !
2. I responded to dude saying Baldwin would be good with Peyton,when Peyton refused to play with our WR corp.

Now back on the subject of #1WRs.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":3lp3otr3 said:
[youtube]okwJA6mXpHY[/youtube]

:D

Yes Marshall is a true #1Jackson. demands double teams most of the time. He is a complete WR.

Dez,Thomas,and V.Jackson or complete too.

Torry is a one trick pony deep routes guy. Not a #1 WR though he gets lots of TDs like desean jackson,torry would have not made that catch in the Superbowl.