What is Marshawn really worth?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Just curious, if you all were JS...what would be the MAX number you'd be willing to pay Marshawn to comeback for 2015. Signs seems like even $10M isn't cutting it. Start getting higher and you're looking at QB numbers. Looking for better responses than "PAY THE MAN" or "Whatever he wants!" because this is the salary cap era, and I'm sure if you were JS looking forward doesn't mean putting all your eggs in one basket/year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":18izivuo said:
Just curious, if you all were JS...what would be the MAX number you'd be willing to pay Marshawn to comeback for 2015. Signs seems like even $10M isn't cutting it. Start getting higher and you're looking at QB numbers. Looking for better responses than "PAY THE MAN" or "Whatever he wants!" because this is the salary cap era, and I'm sure if you were JS looking forward doesn't mean putting all your eggs in one basket/year.

I kind of disagree with your premise. Just because a deal hasn't been signed doesn't mean that it isn't enough. When Lynch signed his previous contract, he did so right before free agency started. In his eyes, there really is no rush to put the ink to paper yet. Free Agency is still a few weeks out, and he's under contract right now as is. I expect he's taking some time to do whatever it is he likes to do in the off season, and he'll come sign his deal before Free Agency starts, so the team knows how to proceed with free agency and the draft.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":9oz71xxu said:
ZagHawk":9oz71xxu said:

I kind of disagree with your premise. Just because a deal hasn't been signed doesn't mean that it isn't enough. When Lynch signed his previous contract, he did so right before free agency started. In his eyes, there really is no rush to put the ink to paper yet. Free Agency is still a few weeks out, and he's under contract right now as is. I expect he's taking some time to do whatever it is he likes to do in the off season, and he'll come sign his deal before Free Agency starts, so the team knows how to proceed with free agency and the draft.

Agree with Kidhawk. I don't get the impression that Lynch's deal is being held up by the money, but rather if Lynch wants to keep playing in the first place. I don't want to diminish the importance of money in the decision, but the way OP's phrased the question assumes their is a dollar amount you could offer Lynch today and the deal would be signed immediately.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I think $10 is the max I would go, which is a raise of about $3 million for this year I believe. I think any more than that will start to hinder filling some other areas of need.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think they're at what he's worth, 10M.

Lynch knows he's got a lot of leverage, but he's crazy if he think the Hawks will go to Adrian Peterson money to keep him.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I am not sure ..and MAN am I going to get blasted for this.. he is worth more than the contract now. I could go 7 million. Seems like the offer out there is 11. At 11 million I say, ok..if you want to retire, retire. We cant replace him 100%, but if you get one more good back.. at 4 million.. and use the other 7 to get other tools you can even out the production. I like being run first as well, but if youre going to put 20 million a year on the quarterback then youll want to be getting more out of that anyway. Someone like Mark Ingram added to Michael and Turbin..plus 7 million for someone like Torrey Smith (stretch the field, open things up for Baldwin, Norwood, etc).. I dont think the drop off would be like people think. Alternatively, spend that 7 million on a line upgrade plus more in the draft so the lesser backs can still equal the production through having a better line.

Blast away. But please dont think I dont value Lynch. I do. I am just dont think we should be throwing the kitchen sink at him. He is unique. But does that mean thats only way to get production for the 11 or 12 million that is rumored to be offered? The offer reeks of desperation to me and you dont want to be put in that spot. The Seahawks need to still be about team.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":1m9haevv said:
I am not sure ..and MAN am I going to get blasted for this.. he is worth more than the contract now. I could go 7 million. Seems like the offer out there is 11. At 11 million I say, ok..if you want to retire, retire. We cant replace him 100%, but if you get one more good back.. at 4 million.. and use the other 7 to get other tools you can even out the production. I like being run first as well, but if youre going to put 20 million a year on the quarterback then youll want to be getting more out of that anyway. Someone like Mark Ingram added to Michael and Turbin..plus 7 million for someone like Torrey Smith (stretch the field, open things up for Baldwin, Norwood, etc).. I dont think the drop off would be like people think. Alternatively, spend that 7 million on a line upgrade plus more in the draft so the lesser backs can still equal the production through having a better line.

Blast away. But please dont think I dont value Lynch. I do. I am just dont think we should be throwing the kitchen sink at him. He is unique. But does that mean thats only way to get production for the 11 or 12 million that is rumored to be offered? The offer reeks of desperation to me and you dont want to be put in that spot. The Seahawks need to still be about team.

Lynch's current contract (including bonuses) is $7 million. His base is $5 million, but gets an additional $125,000 per game roster bonus, so that would total $2 million over the course of the season.

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/marshawn-lynch/[/urltargetblank]

Vetamur

Reaction score
kidhawk":1h94aeob said:
Vetamur":1h94aeob said:

Lynch's current contract (including bonuses) is $7 million. His base is $5 million, but gets an additional $125,000 per game roster bonus, so that would total $2 million over the course of the season.

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/marshawn-lynch/[/urltargetblank]

Well..there you go. Thats what I would pay. What his contract pays him. And if the issue isnt about the money, as others say..then why throw more money at him? Obviously the issue IS money..or at least largely so, or they wouldnt be throwing money at him to get him to come back.

MrThortan

Reaction score
From over the cap:
Adrian Peterson: Avg/Year 14,380,000
Lesean McCoy: 9,000,000
Arian Foster: 8,700,000
Matt Forte:7,600,000
Marshawn Lynch: 7,500,000

I think the 10 million number is fair. I definitely wouldn't pay him more than AP. He is still under contract and any new deal is either to entice him back for another year, show him he is appreciated or as a "thank you" contract. How many millions do these guys need to be happy?

That being said, I have seen no indication of what Marshawn thinks of this number and whether it is enough or not.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I love Marshawn and don't want to think about a team without #24. But at the same time, the higher the money goes, there is a such thing as diminishing returns. He may be worth X but that doesn't mean it's beneficial for the team if they have to pay him X. Schneider said they will put the team first in everything.

I think the Hawks will be firm at $10 million, they shouldn't go over it, not just for what it will do to the cap this year but also for future negotiations. Like Schneider said about last year, if they had caved and given Lynch a new deal last year, they'd have a line up players wanted to redo their deals after only 2 years and he said they would not let that happen.

So yeah, while I think $10 is steep, I don't think they go more because they can't let the players feel like they have all the leverage. The team needs to keep leverage. And if the scenario plays out that Lynch retires because he wants more than the Hawks offer, the player will know who has the real leverage. If they could possibly not cave and move on from Lynch, they can do it to most the players on the roster right now. It's a very delicate situation that I know they are being careful with.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Vetamur":asiqq3yf said:
Well..there you go. Thats what I would pay. What his contract pays him. And if the issue isnt about the money, as others say..then why throw more money at him?

Because he's the heart and soul of your team, offense and personality?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1lsm4cso said:
Vetamur":1lsm4cso said:
Well..there you go. Thats what I would pay. What his contract pays him. And if the issue isnt about the money, as others say..then why throw more money at him?

I think it was Irvin who said Red Bryant was the heart and soul of the defense and they cut him

kidhawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":1tp5oijr said:
kidhawk":1tp5oijr said:
Vetamur":1tp5oijr said:

Well..there you go. Thats what I would pay. What his contract pays him. And if the issue isnt about the money, as others say..then why throw more money at him? Obviously the issue IS money..or at least largely so, or they wouldnt be throwing money at him to get him to come back.

I wasn't saying money isn't an issue....I was saying that I don't think money is the issue considering the new offer. If it was just his old contract, then I think there would be more room for concern that he'd hold out or otherwise attempt to get more money. I believe the contract being offered (if rumors are close to truth) would make him the 2nd highest paid RB in the NFL (after Adrian Peterson). I believe that is what he was looking for last off season, but as John has said he doesn't renegotiate contracts with multi-years left on them (bad precedent) they didn't offer him the extension last year. They are willing to do so this year (as it's the final year of his deal) and I believe that the money being offered is enough, if he still wants to continue to play the game. I don't believe the fact the he hasn't signed has anything to do with the dollars being offered. As I stated above, when he was going to be a free agent last time, he didn't sign the deal until just before free agency began. Schneider has inferred that he would like to have Lynch's decision before free agency, so I believe that we have nothing to really worry about until free agency starts without a deal signed. If that happens, then there is more reason for concern. Right now I believe Lynch is taking his well deserved break and will be back to sign his deal before the free agency period begins.

CHawK247

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3dwn9a67 said:
Sgt. Largent":3dwn9a67 said:
Vetamur":3dwn9a67 said:

I think it was Irvin who said Red Bryant was the heart and soul of the defense and they cut him

Theres a difference between being the heart and soul of a team and city. And being a vet leader on D.

Vetamur

Reaction score
CHawK247":1gwff12n said:
Hawkfan77":1gwff12n said:
Sgt. Largent":1gwff12n said:
Vetamur":1gwff12n said:

Theres a difference between being the heart and soul of a team and city. And being a vet leader on D.

Well, the fact is there is a salary cap. Going from 7 to 11 million means you have one more 7th rounder draft pick type replacing a someone whose salary would be 4 million.

And if the "heart and soul" of your team doesnt want to play anymore, then you better come to grips with the fact you might be putting yourself into a bad corner by depending so much on someone who is emotionally not ready to commit. That just doesnt seem all that smart to me. Again, this isnt to undervalue what Lynch has meant to the team or bashing him at all. Its just a look at what the real situation is today for the season coming up.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
CHawK247":1tbwv3zb said:
Hawkfan77":1tbwv3zb said:
Sgt. Largent":1tbwv3zb said:
Vetamur":1tbwv3zb said:

I think you're diminishing Red's contributions and possibly exaggerating Marshawn's. Heart and should of a city? So are you saying that the fan base will become fractured if he chooses to retire (honest question, not trying to put words in your mouth) ?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
$9 million sounds about right . . . that's what 26 year old LeSean McCoy and 28 year old Jamaal Charles are averaging. $10 million is generous. $11 million is getting crazy.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the Hawks timeline is. If Marshawn has not signed on the line which is dotted by the time FA rolls around, will they pull their new offer so they can spend money elsewhere?