Seattle seems to take the less traveled path

cheese22

Reaction score
In a time when NFL teams are trying to stay even with the latest trends, Seattle seems to be a step ahead. What I mean is that a few years ago, Seattle went away from the trend of smaller, quicker corners and went after tall, long armed cb's instead. While most teams are using tall wr's, Seattle continues to target short, fast ones. I don't know the avg height of QB's but it's obvious RW is well below that number. Prototypical LB: it seems that when most pundits talk about LB's they talk about weight and holding up against large blockers in the run game; Seattle? long, lean with an emphasis on fast. Our d-line, massive ends who aren't especially quick and shorter interior guys.
Not to mention our schemes: how many power running games do you hear about? In a time when most teams talk about their blitz packages and how many they have, Seattle probably blitzes as little as anyone.
Is this where some of success has come from, being different from everyone else? I could go toe to toe with anyone about basketball stuff, but football is a little different for me. Am I on track or not? Are there other areas people see that I didn't touch on?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
cheese22":3etid4q9 said:
In a time when NFL teams are trying to stay even with the latest trends, Seattle seems to be a step ahead. What I mean is that a few years ago, Seattle went away from the trend of smaller, quicker corners and went after tall, long armed cb's instead. While most teams are using tall wr's, Seattle continues to target short, fast ones. I don't know the avg height of QB's but it's obvious RW is well below that number. Prototypical LB: it seems that when most pundits talk about LB's they talk about weight and holding up against large blockers in the run game; Seattle? long, lean with an emphasis on fast. Our d-line, massive ends who aren't especially quick and shorter interior guys.
Not to mention our schemes: how many power running games do you hear about? In a time when most teams talk about their blitz packages and how many they have, Seattle probably blitzes as little as anyone.
Is this where some of success has come from, being different from everyone else? I could go toe to toe with anyone about basketball stuff, but football is a little different for me. Am I on track or not? Are there other areas people see that I didn't touch on?

I do think that some of the success comes from doing things differently. When an opposing team studies film of the Seahawks, they are going to be seeing things they aren't used to seeing week after week on film. The matchups are different and the schemes are different than what a lot of other teams are doing, like you said. I don't think that's the main reason for the Seahawks' success, but I definitely see how it could play a part.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
For the most part you're right, but I disagree with your WR comment.........having a shorter quicker WR corp isn't by design, as we've tried to draft and sign big possession guys. Rice, Norwood, Matthews, etc, and we'll do it again in this year's draft.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pqa9aph said:
For the most part you're right, but I disagree with your WR comment.........having a shorter quicker WR corp isn't by design, as we've tried to draft and sign big possession guys. Rice, Norwood, Matthews, etc, and we'll do it again in this year's draft.
Agreed, and agreed.

Hawks46

Reaction score
That and the power run scheme. Holmgren actually used a power run scheme.

We used Zone Blocking sheme. This typically values smaller, more athletic lineman that utilize combo blocks at the line, then getting to the second level to get on LBers. The also use cut blocks to get DLmen on the ground. Moving guys from side line to side line and making them get up off of the ground all the time, while continually fighting double teams will tire defensive linemen out.

Typically, these guys can get abused by bull rushes in pass protection, and dominant DLmen can win 1 on 1 matchups many times.

I also don't think we are trying to find smaller WRs. We haven't put much value on the WR position, which means the larger ones are usually picked first, leaving the smaller guys until the later rounds.

We do break the mold when it comes to defense. Then again, Pete has just designed a new mold to play with.