Wayback Machine - Milwaukee's Journal rates Safeties (Earl)

Rocket

Reaction score
2. EARL THOMAS Texas 5-10½ 205 4.45
Redshirted in 2007 and started 27 games at FS, leaving as a third-year sophomore to help his family in Orange, Texas, that was devastated by Hurricane Rita. "He's coming out because his folks need money," Tennessee national scouting supervisor C.O. Brocato said. "He can run. I think he can play corner." Intercepted eight passes in '08 and two more in '09, giving him 15 takeaways in all. Won't turn 21 until May 7. "I think he can cover in the slot," St. Louis VP Tony Softli said. "He's got the change of direction, the burst. He's a thickly built guy." Used his excellent speed, ball skills and instincts to make plays all over the field. Rated an adequate tackler. "In the bowl game (Alabama's Mark) Ingram ran through him a couple times," another scout said. "He bothers me because he's 5-10." Some scouts also didn't like a safety with a Wonderlic of 13. "I think it's going to be a while," a third scout replied when asked if Thomas could run a secondary. "He's a good kid but a young guy. Nick Collins is a good player but I would say Earl Thomas is a lot more talented."

Only an "adequate tackler", too short, low Wunderlic, too young.
He'll never amount to nuttin', eh?

Vetamur

Reaction score
Rocket":1vu0tcy6 said:
Redshirted in 2007 and started 27 games at FS, leaving as a third-year sophomore to help his family in Orange, Texas, that was devastated by Hurricane Rita. "He's coming out because his folks need money," Tennessee national scouting supervisor C.O. Brocato said. "He can run. I think he can play corner." Intercepted eight passes in '08 and two more in '09, giving him 15 takeaways in all. Won't turn 21 until May 7. "I think he can cover in the slot," St. Louis VP Tony Softli said. "He's got the change of direction, the burst. He's a thickly built guy." Used his excellent speed, ball skills and instincts to make plays all over the field. Rated an adequate tackler. "In the bowl game (Alabama's Mark) Ingram ran through him a couple times," another scout said. "He bothers me because he's 5-10." Some scouts also didn't like a safety with a Wonderlic of 13. "I think it's going to be a while," a third scout replied when asked if Thomas could run a secondary. "He's a good kid but a young guy. Nick Collins is a good player but I would say Earl Thomas is a lot more talented."

Im not sure its that far off the mark. His first year he in Seattle he was just an adequate tackler. He had range but wanted to make the highlight reel tackle everytime and so missed some. And he didnt even have a great attitude apparently. Lawyer Miilloy talked about at first wanting to help and share with him, thats why PC brought him..but he had to wait til Thomas came around and realized he needed to learn. Which to his credit, he did.

Didnt know his Wonderlic was that low.. thats the biggest surprise to me in that snippet. Good find, always fun to read the "before" stuff!

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I think that year was between Eric Berry(praying for him) and Earl Thomas. I always wonder if we would have taken Berry if KC did not.

In 2012 we had a "wish list" for Luke Kuechly and Mark Barron https://www.fantasysp.com/player/nf...ks-luke-kuechly-mark-barron-were-on-wish-list. I think either of these three would have flourished on our team but in no way or any universe do we have Berry, Kuechly, Barron on the same Seahawk unit. Insead we have Thomas, Wagner, Chancellor. How fortunate.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Vetamur":2pt5y1c1 said:
Im not sure its that far off the mark. His first year he in Seattle he was just an adequate tackler. He had range but wanted to make the highlight reel tackle everytime and so missed some. And he didnt even have a great attitude apparently. Lawyer Miilloy talked about at first wanting to help and share with him, thats why PC brought him..but he had to wait til Thomas came around and realized he needed to learn. Which to his credit, he did.

Didnt know his Wonderlic was that low.. thats the biggest surprise to me in that snippet. Good find, always fun to read the "before" stuff!

One of the most interesting articles I read about Earl (I believe it was actually on his website) discussed how he was so arrogant that it took a while before he accepted Kam as an equal. Earl was a first round pick, Kam was only a fifth so Earl looked down on him. It wasn't until Earl opened his mind to the fact that they both belonged there that things started to click. It goes to show how far Earl had to go to get to where he is now.

Lawyer Milloy was the prime example for professionalism that Earl, Kam and Sherm (coming in the next year) have used to take flight as all pro players. I have no doubt that without that one year of Lawyer teaching the kids how to be men we would not have the LOB--far from it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Vetamur":21bq24o1 said:
Rocket":21bq24o1 said:

I don't put much stock in the Wonderlic. Some people just don't test well. My mom used to get so nervous about tests she'd make herself sick and wouldn't perform as well even though she knew the material backwards and forwards.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
He was the number 2 safety in the draft that year after Eric Berry. This scouting report doesn't seem remarkable to me in any way

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Earl is a drastically different person today then the person we drafted in 2010. Not only has he learned a ton, and grown leaps as a player, but he has matured as a person.

I remember when he was drafted by the Seahawks, he looked pissed that he was going to Seattle. We did not hear much of anything from him his first two seasons. It seems he is enjoying the spotlight now, and has embraced the team and the fans. What a difference 5 years can make!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":19264lsf said:
I remember when he was drafted by the Seahawks, he looked pissed that he was going to Seattle. We did not hear much of anything from him his first two seasons. It seems he is enjoying the spotlight now, and has embraced the team and the fans. What a difference 5 years can make!

I saw the same thing. I remember thinking that Earl was probably just going to play out his rookie contract and then move on to play for Dallas, Houston, or some team close to Texas. All he talked about was Texas and he seemed to not be excited at all about going to Seattle. He went home to Texas every break he got. I thought there was no way he would re-sign here until he was here around 3 years and started to show signs of legitimately enjoying himself as a Seahawk.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":4tkoio5s said:
I think that year was between Eric Berry(praying for him) and Earl Thomas. I always wonder if we would have taken Berry if KC did not.

In 2012 we had a "wish list" for Luke Kuechly and Mark Barron https://www.fantasysp.com/player/nf...ks-luke-kuechly-mark-barron-were-on-wish-list. I think either of these three would have flourished on our team but in no way or any universe do we have Berry, Kuechly, Barron on the same Seahawk unit. Insead we have Thomas, Wagner, Chancellor. How fortunate.
We would have picked Eric Berry had KC taken Okung, then I think we would have taken Brian Bulaga with the Earl Thomas pick.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Rocket":313fpl0h said:

I would still classify him as an adequate tackler. While many of the tackles he misses are tackles no other player in the league would be in position to make, he still misses quite a few tackles. It's usually a result of him just throwing his body at a player and not wrapping up.