Maxwell Changes Agents

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/572813868759715842[/tweet]

One week before free agency, Seahawks CB Byron Maxwell is making the unusual move of changing agents just before he hits the market. Maxwell informed his now former agent, Jason Chayut, that he planned to hire a new agent in the next week, league sources said Tuesday. It is rare for a player to change agents this close to free agency and two general managers who were made aware of the change the past 48 hours said they didn’t understand why a player would make a move like that now. The timing is peculiar because Maxwell’s former agents spent the past year, and the week at the combine in Indianapolis, gauging their former clients’ value and trying to figure out the best place for him to be. “Why would you do that?” asked one NFL general manager. “It makes navigating the free-agent market confusing.” Under NFLPA bylaws, a player must wait five days to hire a new agent, so Maxwell is not allowed to officially hire a new agent until this weekend. Chayut has a strong reputation in league circles, particularly in working with cornerbacks, having represented players such as Houston’s Jonathan Joseph, Chicago’s Tim Jennings, Buffalo’s Stephen Gilmore and former Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson. Contacted Tuesday, Chayut declined comment.

themunn

Reaction score
Means he can take a hometown discount from the Hawks without paying his agent a cut (thereby maximising his payout) obviously

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":35r0b4rt said:
Don't you ever rest. :{)

Quick draw McGraw

I wonder what we can read into this move, if anything?

On this board, we can read just about anything out of just about everything. That's a pandora's box best left closed. :lol:

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Man that is so brutal for the agent. He puts in all that work to get Byron on the cusp of a megadeal and he gets canned. He may have deserved it though, who knows. It's stuff like that though that ultimately dissuaded me from pursuing sports agency as my career.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":11km6dzk said:
Man that is so brutal for the agent. He puts in all that work to get Byron on the cusp of a megadeal and he gets canned. He may have deserved it though, who knows. It's stuff like that though that ultimately dissuaded me from pursuing sports agency as my career.

I felt the same for Wilson's agent

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sucks for the agent. Probably could smell all that money coming his way, and now he doesn't get it. Some new guy will get a nice payday for coming in at the last minute after all the groundwork was done by the last guy.

chawx

Reaction score
Maybe he's not getting a new agent at all. Maybe he knows he's going to take a home-team discount equivalent to an agents fee. It makes sense to me, why have an agent if you know you want to be back on the same team you're on and you know you're going to take less to do it?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chawx":23qbf7xt said:
Maybe he's not getting a new agent at all. Maybe he knows he's going to take a home-team discount equivalent to an agents fee. It makes sense to me, why have an agent if you know you want to be back on the same team you're on and you know you're going to take less to do it?
That's a nice dream you have there sir. My advice? Be prepared to be disappointed.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/572834114228891649[/tweet]
Annasanchezfileswordpresscom2F20112F072Fpoof

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Mr. Keels will be doing some unofficial work for Maxwell in the meantime and then be officially hired on Saturday.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Alvin Keels has a history of moves like this one, i.e. paying a recruiter from a rival agency to deliver players to him, taking $200,000 from a player not signed by him that was funneled through a private equity corporation for which he faced discipline from the NFLPA, etc.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":24cbyq4x said:
Alvin Keels has a history of moves like this one, i.e. paying a recruiter from a rival agency to deliver players to him, taking $200,000 from a player not signed by him that was funneled through a private equity corporation for which he faced discipline from the NFLPA, etc.

Yes he does have a history, and Jason Chayut has a history of botched up negotiations as well. I'm sure Byron will get his payday no matter who his agent is. Could be as simple as an issue between the previous agent and a team or two he may have higher on his list. It wouldn't be the first time an agent has had issues with a particular team that caused problems with clients. So much goes on behind the scenes that we never see and rarely hear about (at least not with any confirmation).

Hawks46

Reaction score
To me, this sounds like Maxwell's former agent beat the bushes and got some initial idea from GM's what his value was, and Maxwell didn't like the sound of it.

Maxwell is on record as saying he wants 10 mil/year. Watching all his buddies getting paid that much, and holding down his side of the field, plus the way the FA market has turned out for CB's, and it's not a stretch to see why he thinks why.

Typically players dump an agent because they feel the agent isn't getting the top dollars they felt they deserved.

Largent80

Reaction score
While Maxwell grew up in this system, he has a lot of improving to do if you ask me to be warranting 8 to 10 mil. a year.

Jville

Reaction score
Largent80":5yd96dia said:
While Maxwell grew up in this system, he has a lot of improving to do if you ask me to be warranting 8 to 10 mil. a year.

You are repeating yourself >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=109075&p=1593386#p1593386[/urltargetblank]

Alvin Keels was the agent of record for the Kam Chancellor contract extension. >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130422/BLOG06/130429952[/urltargetblank]

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
In just the last few years there was an agent that did a lot of work and got canned right before a new deal but still got paid in a settlement I believe. Not 100% sure on that though.

Rocket

Reaction score
pmedic920":25t3esd3 said:
Don't you ever rest. :{)
Quick draw McGraw

Dude. Anchorage. Hunt, fish, eat, sleep, etc
I have family up there, off and on. Rocket knows.