Byron Maxwell has deal with Eagles

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/thehouseofstark/status/574409365727395840[/tweet]

Ehhh, dude only has 1k followers, so credibility is in question for me. Also the Maxwell & Eagles connection been rumored since the end of the season, so if it is indeed true, it's not a surprise. Hope Maxwell gets that $$$ for that comp pick.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
We're in the window where it is still illegal for free agents to "agree to a deal" with any team. Teams can discuss terms with a free agent's agent, but they are not allowed to agree to any deals.

If this report is true, Hawks could pursue tampering if they wanted to get nit-picky. It's been pretty much a foregone conclusion that he would be an Eagle, anyway. But Eagles could still get in trouble, hypothetically.

jake206

Reaction score
Hold your horses son!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/574439288038785024[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/574446289670180864[/tweet]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm really surprised Seattle is genuinely trying to sign him. I thought they had resigned to letting him walk.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I hope the Eagles get him. Maxwell is grossly overrated, had a negative overall grade by PFF this year, and the amount of the contract should net a minimum 4th round comp pick in 2016 (if the Hawks are comp pick-eligible), and possibly a 3rd depending on the final $ amount and/or his 2015 performance. This is a classic example of the 'Halo effect' surrounding Seahawk defenders, and esp. LOB members.

Lithium

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":dffpgzco said:
I hope the Eagles get him. Maxwell is grossly overrated, had a negative overall grade by PFF this year, and the amount of the contract should net a minimum 4th round comp pick in 2016 (if the Hawks are comp pick-eligible), and possibly a 3rd depending on the final $ amount and/or his 2015 performance. This is a classic example of the 'Halo effect' surrounding Seahawk defenders, and esp. LOB members.

He gives up a lot of underneath stuff and is not elite but boy is he head and shoulders above the rest of our guys and a lot of FA CB's out there. I want to keep him, he so scrappy and unique. Probably why JS likes him so much. He may get overpaid but in this case I dont mind that much. we dont have any major holes we need the money for so why not. just my opinion.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3uvs0wbe said:
I'm really surprised Seattle is genuinely trying to sign him. I thought they had resigned to letting him walk.

Agreed - I thought there was little (zero) chance Seattle would sign him, simply based on the amount of money tied up in the secondary already.

Maybe after meeting with Cary Williams, and looking at the FA CB landscape - mainly Tramon Williams - they realized that they would have to overpay (3-6 million per year) for an average/replacement level CB. Maybe they determined that they would rather overpay for a slightly better product, but a known commodity, rather than overpay for an unknown and high risk CB candidate.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Whats with all the negative talk about Maxwell guys a top 15 CB in the league....

The Seahawks would be stupid to let him walk.

I love how some make it so easy to just get rid of someone without actually thinking about who will replace them likely lesser unproven talent.

Lithium

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":3kda6cre said:
HawkFan72":3kda6cre said:

Agreed - I thought there was little (zero) chance Seattle would sign him, simply based on the amount of money tied up in the secondary already.

Maybe after meeting with Cary Williams, and looking at the FA CB landscape - mainly Tramon Williams - they realized that they would have to overpay (3-6 million per year) for an average/replacement level CB. Maybe they determined that they would rather overpay for a slightly better product, but a known commodity, rather than overpay for an unknown and high risk CB candidate.

Good way of putting it. To me its sorta like another Tate situation, we'll miss him if he goes.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":36s1x6jb said:
Whats with all the negative talk about Maxwell guys a top 15 CB in the league.....

That's simply not true. No objective or even subjective assessment of Maxwell's play should render that opinion. He would be a solid #2 CB on an average defense, but he was repeatedly lit up here. That is beyond debate. And he's not worth even a third of the dollar amount that he'll command on the bloated FA market.

kobebryant

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2av48ncb said:
NFSeahawks628":2av48ncb said:
Whats with all the negative talk about Maxwell guys a top 15 CB in the league.....

That's simply not true. No objective or even subjective assessment of Maxwell's play should render that opinion. He would be a solid #2 CB on an average defense, but he was repeatedly lit up here. That is beyond debate. And he's not worth even a third of the dollar amount that he'll command on the bloated FA market.

Really?

Not saying you're wrong; I just don't have much of a recollection of any WRs having big days against the Hawks.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":211jbddz said:
NFSeahawks628":211jbddz said:

Sir, I disagree completely with your view of Max.
And by all means feel free to disagree with my view of him but when the rubber hits the road, you will see how the NFL values him come Tuesday.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert and my opinion doesn't mean much but I was expecting much more from Maxwell this past year.

kearly

Reaction score
Wasn't Maxwell's passer rating against #1 in the NFL two seasons ago? I seem to recall it was still fairly solid in 2014.

Anyway, I always trust my eyeballs over what PFF says. Giving Maxwell a negative grade to me is like someone saying Batman and Robin was a great movie. All it does is make me question the reviewer.

Normally I'd be fine with taking the mid-round pick and the cash savings, but there is a reason Seattle is putting up a fight here. Maxwell creates turnovers and is a very well coached player. Our secondary depth is a huge area of concern, and this year's draft is not a good one for the types of corners Seattle targets.

Maxwell is a better corner in some respects than Browner was, and some have argued that the loss of Browner may have been the difference in the SB. I respect the Seahawks however they decide to play this, but letting Maxwell go will be a tough loss, for sure.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1yjijufr said:
Whats with all the negative talk about Maxwell guys a top 15 CB in the league....

The Seahawks would be stupid to let him walk.

I love how some make it so easy to just get rid of someone without actually thinking about who will replace them likely lesser unproven talent.

I don't think it's stupid they let him walk. They have an amazing track record of drafting and teaching its DBs to fit into their scheme. There's also salary cap stuff to think about. Seattle's front office is already paying its defense twice what it's paying the offense. I think people feel signing Maxwell increases the chances of losing out on signing Julius Thomas or Andre Johnson, for example. One side of the ball is in much more need of talent than the other.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think it is OK not to take a firm stand either way as a fan when you are working with incomplete information and the FO has demonstrated their value so strongly in this specific area. This is especially true if you think (like me) that Kris Richards and Carroll's system of developing DB talent is the strongest reason why we should not pay Maxwell. Who on the planet would you trust over our guys when it comes to evaluating Maxwell's worth?

There are a lot of things that I am worried about this off-season but getting Maxwell's value wrong isn't one of them.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkFan72":172pxmia said:

They also said he was a priority. That tells me they would at least make their best effort. Not even close to a 'let him walk' attitude. :?

King Dog

Reaction score
If speculation that Maxwell is going to command 9+ are true, I don't see how we can seriously be considering bringing him back. That's a lot of coin wrapped up in the secondary.