Anthony McCoy re-signed per Ian Rapapport

Hyak

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/574613259556380672[/tweet]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Let's try this again!

If he can stay healthy, he's great. But this will be attempt #3 at seeing if he can stay healthy.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Assume it's a vet minimum deal. Hard to get too excited about it. Curious to see if they re-up Moeaki.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Hopefully he can stay healthy! I liked what I saw from him in 2012. Now that Miller is gone we'll need a TE who can actually hold his blocks.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
JTB":26q5n46i said:
Assume it's a vet minimum deal. Hard to get too excited about it. Curious to see if they re-up Moeaki.

If you combine McCoy and Moeaki do they form one healthy TE or one completely broken one?

pehawk

Reaction score
Meh, McCoy is the slowest TE I've ever seen. Now McCoy IS a dude you can say lives off of blown-coverages.

Good signing though. I'm still pissed about Zach. What a blow that ankle is.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1av3rpgo said:
JTB":1av3rpgo said:

If you combine McCoy and Moeaki do they form one healthy TE or one completely broken one?

Touche! Moeaki to me has some upside but no question he is injury prone.

jblaze

Reaction score
Odd signing to me. He would be a #3 TE for us. I think Helfet is the odd one out and maybe Moeaki. Hopefully we go get Thomas (although I don't want to overspend) or Cameron as our #1. Willson is a good #2 and then McCoy or Moeaki as our #3.

Maybe it's just a hedge to see how he's kept himself up and performs in camp. I have a feeling it has zero guarantees.

Still need a #1 and I hope that happens soon. Would be nice to get that in FA since this is a terrible TE draft and we really need that red zone target. Getting a big WR early in the draft would be nice but they tend to take time to develop so it would be good to get a veteran in FA. We have very little money tied up into the WR/TE groups so we can go spend some money.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Has really good chemistry with Wilson despite the fact that he's missed so much time.

Praying that he stays healthy this time.

Veilside

Reaction score
Not excited about McCoy at all. I swear he has the body control of a newborn giraffe and if I remember correctly is not much of a blocker.

Hoping we make a play for Thomas then find a good blocking TE for our #3 behind Willson. With Richardson out I feel that upgrading the offense is a must and Thomas could be the veteran red zone threat we've been looking for while Willson further develops. Be nice to get both Thomas and Andre Johnson (really wanted Marshall) to push Kearse down the options list where he probably should be.

BattleOfSeattle

Reaction score
Hopefully he can make it through camp healthy this time. I think a lot of people forget that he was a pretty solid tight end in 2011 and 2012 before consecutive season-ending achilles tendon tears (on both ankles).

With that said, re-signing McCoy isn't a guarantee that he makes the team (especially in light of his injury history). It's likely an affordable way to help improve depth and competition between Willson, Helfet, and RaShaun Allen. Moeaki is currently an unrestricted free agent (although I believe we will re-sign him as well). I would be very surprised if we didn't draft or sign a TE or two.

rideaducati

Reaction score
pehawk":2tgehnu3 said:
Meh, McCoy is the slowest TE I've ever seen. Now McCoy IS a dude you can say lives off of blown-coverages.

McCoy would finish the 40 a full 4 seconds ahead of Zach Miller.

jake206

Reaction score
Wish he would stay healthy. I don't care if he is stronger or faster, just him staying healthy for a season would be a boon enough.

drdiags

Reaction score
I figured the team would move on, but this and the Scruggs signings shows me they really want to exhaust every avenue before moving on. I like McCoy and hope he can stay healthy this year. He is a little bit of a space cadet to me but since I am not a FO guy, I can afford the luxury of getting sentimental.

From the FO's perspective, they must value his skills to keep trying to make it work.

Veilside

Reaction score
rideaducati":zn6zk92q said:
pehawk":zn6zk92q said:

He may have straight line speed but have you seen the guy turn and run after catching the ball. He's looked slow and awkward as hell. Makes Zach look like Tony Gonzalez from what I've seen from him so far.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Veilside":3ydadvra said:
rideaducati":3ydadvra said:
pehawk":3ydadvra said:

He may have straight line speed but have you seen the guy turn and run after catching the ball. He's looked slow and awkward as hell. Makes Zach look like Tony Gonzalez from what I've seen from him so far.

I don't think either guy would/will make much of difference to the team anymore. I think we'll see a lot more from Willson and they'll pick up another speedy TE.

kearly

Reaction score
The signing itself isn't terrible. But I think settling for replacement level at TE is going to bite the Seahawks in the ass, if it hasn't already. I'd be worried if Seattle went into next season with McCoy being anything more than a preseason prove it guy.

If our TE group ends up being Willson, Helfet, and McCoy, it would be the most droptastic TE trio in the NFL for sure. And probably by far the worst at blocking. Willson is the only guy I can say for sure is an NFL caliber TE, and with his poor blocking and drops, I feel that calling him a #2 TE is generous. Moeki (currently a free agent) looked good, but has to be viewed as a #3 just because of injuries.

ManBunts

Reaction score
jblaze":1avnx3qj said:
Odd signing to me. He would be a #3 TE for us. I think Helfet is the odd one out and maybe Moeaki. Hopefully we go get Thomas (although I don't want to overspend) or Cameron as our #1. Willson is a good #2 and then McCoy or Moeaki as our #3.

Maybe it's just a hedge to see how he's kept himself up and performs in camp. I have a feeling it has zero guarantees.

Still need a #1 and I hope that happens soon. Would be nice to get that in FA since this is a terrible TE draft and we really need that red zone target. Getting a big WR early in the draft would be nice but they tend to take time to develop so it would be good to get a veteran in FA. We have very little money tied up into the WR/TE groups so we can go spend some money.

I think Helfet has promise. Good hands, but he needs time, and is big enough I think he could develop better blocking skills than anyone else on the team. I see our 3 TEs as Helfet, Willson, and Moeaki. Wildcard though, would be intriguing to see Cassius try the position again, he did it in college.

As of now though, Julius Thomas is off the table to the Jags (never wanted him, big target, but injury prone). Cameron is the only good option left, and frankly he had trouble recovering from getting his bell run last year.

I can see the TE position being one we might risk a higher pick on. Frankly I'd rather we went WR, OL, DB first three rounds, but I can see them getting tricky and taking a TE second round if the talent is there.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Zach Miller will be back. I think GMs will be wary enough of his ankle to stay away until May/June. Miller is going to be looking at league minimum money, and Seattle is always interested in those kinds of deals, especially when their current TE corps is a disaster. Miller is a class act who understands the business, I do not think he'd hold anything against Seattle and would come back if offered.

ManBunts":3qy032l3 said:
I think Helfet has promise. Good hands, but he needs time, and is big enough I think he could develop better blocking skills than anyone else on the team.

Helfet's drop rate last season was almost twice that of Jermaine Kearse. I would compare Helfet's hands to Jerramy Stevens, in that he possesses rare talent for spectacular end zone catches but drops way too many easy ones.

In terms of blocking skills, you must be thinking of someone else. Helfet's blocking is extremely bad. And at his size (big WR size), he probably won't ever be a plus blocker until they move him to WR.

Helfet did have one breakout game last season that made a lot of people wonder if he could be Eric Decker if moved to WR. As a TE though, he's a fringe #4 option, IMO.