What I would like to see the Hawks do in FA

Hyak

Reaction score
1. Make a run at a top tier TE - Thomas, Cameron, or maybe Gresham. My concern is that Thomas will get priced out by one of the rebuilding teams with massive cap space like Jax or Oakland.

2. Re-sign Carpenter - I thought he really came on in 2014 and was finally living up to his potential. Unless the money is crazy, I'd move forward with him.

3. Add another edge rusher to upgrade from Schofield. Perhaps Orapko, Derrick Morgan, or Brandon Graham provided the numbers are not crazy. If they are overpriced, maybe a Dwight Freeney on a 1 year deal.

Crazy idea is to shoot for the moon and land Justin Houston to a big deal and give the two late #1's (31 this year and 32 next year :D)

4. Add a veteran CB. Maybe one of the Williams ones, Thurmond, or Perrish Cox.

5. Add another DT for the rotation - hopefully someone relatively young to brace for Mebane possibly being gone after 2015.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1sftvhtw said:
I believe Houston was franchised by KC.

Other than that, hard to argue. We need receiving threats, either WR or TE.

Yes Houston was - my suggestion was that the Hawks or any really good team could make a run at a franchised player and afford to give up late 1's as compensation. Not expected by any means but the rationale is that two late 1st's for an elite player is palatable.

Basis4day

Reaction score
JTB":rmknweyg said:
FlyingGreg":rmknweyg said:
I believe Houston was franchised by KC.

Other than that, hard to argue. We need receiving threats, either WR or TE.

Yes Houston was - my suggestion was that the Hawks or any really good team could make a run at a franchised player and afford to give up late 1's as compensation. Not expected by any means but the rationale is that two late 1st's for an elite player is palatable.

I think that's too steep for any player considering you also need to pay him a contract the Chiefs can't match.

Has a player ever been acquired under the tag and the picks given up?

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
By no means do I expect Seattle to do that but it has happened before. Sean Gilbert was one that I recall who was traded for the 2 #1's. I also think there were a couple of cases where trades were worked out for less than the 2 #1's but I am going off of memory. Matt Cassel was franchised by NE and then traded to KC back in 2009.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
I see us being relatively quiet in FA this year. Maybe a couple small signings but I don't think we give up high picks for anyone.

Hendo66

Reaction score
1. Make a trade & redo Andre Johnsons contract asap. Shouldn't have to give up more than a late round pick.
2. Get Jordan Cameron even though his concussions are a concern.
3. Get Tramon Williams
4. Maybe land an O Lineman & D Lineman before the draft..........

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm not expecting much to happen in FA based on the last few years.

FO always does something nobody expects though.

Cameron has been concussed multiple times. Seems like our T.E.'s always get dinged up so getting him would be crossed off my list.

Carpenter finally had a so-so season in a contract year, I don't trust him based on his body of work and his fat ass body.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
T. Williams
S. Paea
W. Thurmond (prove it deal)
J. Cameron (on a less expensive deal - 6/7 mil would be nice)
extend Russ and Wagner
Maybe K. Britt (?)
Draft Bud Dupree

If they could get 90% of that done, I'd be over the moon.

sc85sis

Reaction score
If we can do it for a reasonable amount, I'd like us to re-sign Carpenter so we have consistency on the line. Lack of continuity has hurt us more than anything in the last few years.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Jeesh people are slacking :D . After reading the various post the last couple of weeks the answer is right there in front of us all. A wide receiver that commands double teams with a high vertical and a super fast 40. :229031_banghead:

kobebryant

Reaction score
Trade for and re-do Andre Johnson; or get him if he is released.

Sign Jordan Cameron.

See if Jax will take a conditional pick for Justin Blackmon.

Sign 2 of C Williams, T Williams, Cox, W Blackmon, Thurmond (none of which should have to be long-term or huge money)

See if Wilfork wants to come in and play the Kevin Williams role.

The Hawks do get a bit older but none of it is long-term.

Largent80

Reaction score
Can someone explain the Cameron love fest?

The guy has MULTIPLE CONCUSSIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TE in our offense blocks, when they aren't blocking they are taking huge hits over the middle.

So, pay a guy 6 or 7 mil. to get injured and be out?.....No thanks.

If Thomas doesn't sign here (unlikely he will), then we go with what we have and draft Williams or Walford.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Largent80":36lmime2 said:

TE in our offense blocks, when they aren't blocking they are taking huge hits over the middle.

If Thomas doesn't sign here (unlikely he will), then we go with what we have and draft Williams or Walford.

I don't get it either. Cameron scares me. One more big hit and he could be done.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawkFan72":24rd8kue said:
Largent80":24rd8kue said:

I don't get it either. Cameron scares me. One more big hit and he could be done.
Same here, I don't want to rely on guy who's one hit away from never playing football again. Besides, do we know how good Cameron actually is?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1vchy334 said:
HawkFan72":1vchy334 said:
Largent80":1vchy334 said:

Same here, I don't want to rely on guy who's one hit away from never playing football again. Besides, do we know how good Cameron actually is?

He did do a lot with a crappy Offense and crappy QBs. He was the only real threat when Josh Gordan was out and still put up good numbers. Scouts say he reminds them of some great TEs.

If he didn't have concussion problems, we'd probably be as excited about the possibility of signing Cameron as we were when the Hawks signed Zach Miller.

seachickenfan1

Reaction score
Give Carp his walking paperspapers, unreliable outta shape, and make a run @ Stefen Wisniewski G/C, he can fill the RG position, then fill in for Unger @ center if he gets injured.
Sounds like Thomas is headed to Jax, so go Jordan Cameron on an insentive deal (w/ concussion issues).
Stephen Paea would be a good fit if the money is right, maybe Vince Wilfork in a rotation role?

As for the draft depending on what we do in the FA market (don't expecct much) these are some prospects I like @ 31 if still avail.
Maxx Williams TE
Dorail Green Becham WR
jalen Strong WR
O. Odighizuwa DE
Jordan Phillips DT
Michael Bennett DT
Marcus Peters CB
jalen Collins CB
Ronald Darby CB

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
I don't really want to risk Cameron with his concussion history but I do recall last year that the Seahawks talked to Cleveland about Cameron for Harvin trade before they moved on to Denver to inquire about Thomas. That tells me that the Seahawk's either felt they had a better chance with Cleveland or they felt Cameron was a better fit then Thomas. Granted this all took place weeks before he suffered another concussion that caused him to miss multiple games. My big concern is he is one concussion away from entering Jahvid Best territory.

I could see the Seahawk's offering a prove it deal to Cameron but I can also see some team offering him a 3-4 year deal that will push the Seahawk's out of the picture which would make me happy. Its important for Cameron to take the contract he can with the biggest guarantee since he is dealing with concussion issues.

Thomas I feel some team is really going to overpay for him and it wont be the Seahawk's. I dont see us doing much in FA with TEs. We now have 4 TEs on our roster and I do expect to get one in the draft (even though the TE draft class is weak overall) and perhaps pick up a vet TE that gets dropped by another team to see if they have anything left in the tank. If we do get a TE in the FA in the first week or 2 of FA then I could see Virgil Green as an option (If the broncos don't resign him)