Program Alert: Schneider is on 710 ESPN (Over Now)

Northhawk

Reaction score
What the heck! It's prime time in FA. JS should be burning up the phones with his colleagues not talking to talking heads. :sarcasm_off:

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Said Graham was in Florida yesterday, Sean Payton gave him the news, then JS&PC called after and talked to him and he sounded excited. JS said that Seattle is a place/city people are excited to play for.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Still ongoing, but he did speak to the fact that Graham is called soft and says it's REALLY hard to find a guy who is really good at blocking who can actually run. He says he thinks that with Graham, McCoy, Wilson, Helfet etc. we have a really good set of Tight Ends, possibly one of the best groups in the NFL.

Also said that he made sure that Unger was the first call they made because they wanted to be sure he heard it from them first.

DJrmb

Reaction score
So John Schneider made it seem that they were shopping Unger and that's how the deal started. Not that we approached them on Graham first and they asked for Unger... That is telling if he means what he said there and lends to Clayton's comments of Unger possibly getting cut if not traded.

Clearly they either thought highly enough of the younger guys or low enough of Unger that they were ready to move on from him this year. To get an Elite Receiver for a guy you wanted to move on from is amazing. This is the best front office in the league.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":2r30xqlj said:
So John Schneider made it seem that they were shopping Unger and that's how the deal started. Not that we approached them on Graham first and they asked for Unger... That is telling if he means what he said there and lends to Clayton's comments of Unger possibly getting cut if not traded.

Clearly they either thought highly enough of the younger guys or low enough of Unger that they were ready to move on from him this year. To get an Elite Receiver for a guy you wanted to move on from is amazing. This is the best front office in the league.

Funnily enough that's not how I took his words

kidhawk

Reaction score
reiterated what's been said already on Lynch.

Said that they've had talks with Wilson's people a few weeks ago. Seemed pretty casual about it.

Said the deal (as the usually do) is waiting on physicals. Said Max is due in New Orleans next week for his physical and then the deal will be final

Spoke highly of young guys coming up for the Offensive line.

DJrmb

Reaction score
kidhawk":7mdinrlm said:
DJrmb":7mdinrlm said:

Well he said they first started talking about a trade for Max and who would be available for him, And Then, they (the Saints) brought up Jimmy Graham. If that is the correct sequence then it seams pretty clear.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Asked if we'd had gotten Graham had we won the Superbowl he said that we would. They had a plan in place to improve the offense before the Super Bowl and that wasn't going to change whether they won or lost. Then he jokingly gave them a hard time for bring that up (the Super Bowl)

McGruff

Reaction score
Says they are really high on several of their young linemen, singling out Lewis, Gilliam and some guy I'd never heard of . . .

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
kidhawk":2d9wk5cd said:
reiterated what's been said already on Lynch.

Said that they've had talks with Wilson's people a few weeks ago. Seemed pretty casual about it.

Said the deal (as the usually do) is waiting on physicals. Said Max is due in New Orleans next week for his physical and then the deal will be final

Spoke highly of young guys coming up for the Offensive line.

To expand more on that, they talked to Wilson & Wagner's reps at the combine, they want to obviously get something done with Wilson & Wagner.

Graham is getting his physical done today.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":2dqa4cbf said:
kidhawk":2dqa4cbf said:
DJrmb":2dqa4cbf said:

Well he said they first started talking about a trade for Max and who would be available for him, And Then, they (the Saints) brought up Jimmy Graham. If that is the correct sequence then it seams pretty clear.

Yes he did say that, but that doesn't mean that he called them about Max. There is talk out there that the Saints wanted Unger from the start. Schneider was careful not to say who called first

DJrmb

Reaction score
kidhawk":pi93ru6n said:
DJrmb":pi93ru6n said:
kidhawk":pi93ru6n said:
DJrmb":pi93ru6n said:

Yes he did say that, but that doesn't mean that he called them about Max. There is talk out there that the Saints wanted Unger from the start. Schneider was careful not to say who called first

I think the point I was trying to make is not necessarily who called who but simply that this was a deal about Max Unger first and foremost. I think that is telling because you don't get into serious trade talks about players that are as irreplaceable as some people have made Unger out to be.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":1sh3clod said:
I think the point I was trying to make is not necessarily who called who but simply that this was a deal about Max Unger first and foremost. I think that is telling because you don't get into serious trade talks about players that are as irreplaceable as some people have made Unger out to be.

There is a huge difference between the Saints wanting him or the Seahawks trying to be rid of him.

It makes more sense that the Saints wanted him, because we didn't have the cap issues they have. They needed to move some money and were said to want a center

If we were trying to be rid of Unger before cutting him, there's almost no way we'd have gotten a guy like graham. We'd have probably gotten something more like a 6th round pick at best.

If the Saints wanted Unger and clear some cap room, then this trade makes much more sense from both sides.