Think teams will still stack the box against us?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Now that we have a major receiving threat on the field, are teams still going to try beating us through 8 man defensive fronts?

Largent80

Reaction score
I think we pick up a burner in the draft. And I think they won't be able to stack it like we have seen in the past.

Northhawk

Reaction score
Yes, unless we have WR who poses a threat -- not necessarily an elite threat but a threat none the less.

A healthy PRich would have been perfect.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1jn674jy said:
He's not a deep threat.
We can find a deep threat,besides it doesn't matter if JG isn't a deep threat.You stack the box and blitz all he has to do is catch at 5 yrds move 5 more like he does and the box no longer works.Shorter passes kill the box if done right.Having JG is a great weapon to counter lots of D looks..

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Northhawk":34u6376m said:
Yes, unless we have WR who poses a threat -- not necessarily an elite threat but a threat none the less.

Healthy P Rich will make our offense unstoppable. Wilson, Lynch, Graham cannot be guarded as is. PRich is gonna have a great year.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2caje61b said:
Northhawk":2caje61b said:

Healthy P Rich will make our offense unstoppable. Wilson, Lynch, Graham cannot be guarded as is. PRich is gonna have a great year.
I wouldn't expect too much from BackPack this year, especially early on. He has a history of knee injuries and recovering from an ACL, while it hasn't been as bad recently, could really effecting someone like Richardson who relies on speed and being quick.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
IndyHawk":16a96z3y said:
SalishHawkFan":16a96z3y said:
He's not a deep threat.
We can find a deep threat,besides it doesn't matter if JG isn't a deep threat.You stack the box and blitz all he has to do is catch at 5 yrds move 5 more like he does and the box no longer works.Shorter passes kill the box if done right.Having JG is a great weapon to counter lots of D looks..

You had to sneak in "and blitz" for your argument to work. Stacking the box also clogs up the short middle of the field, which is like, where a lot of those five yard passes to the TE that you're talking about are typically run.

What opens up though for TEs against a stacked box is the deep seam, which I think Graham is definitely effective at (i.e. -- how Vernon Davis made his living during the Alex Smith days of the 9ers offense).

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, it will help some. We'll still see plenty of 8 man fronts, but probably less blitzes. That, in turn, will give Russell some scramble room and then having a guy like Graham will just make Baldwin even deadlier.

That's where I hope Graham is helpful, at beating the blitzes and at distracting the secondary away from our other WR's.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":rm4o1e94 said:
IndyHawk":rm4o1e94 said:
SalishHawkFan":rm4o1e94 said:
He's not a deep threat.

You had to sneak in "and blitz" for your argument to work. Stacking the box also clogs up the short middle of the field, which is like, where a lot of those five yard passes to the TE that you're talking about are typically run.

What opens up though for TEs against a stacked box is the deep seam, which I think Graham is definitely effective at (i.e. -- how Vernon Davis made his living during the Alex Smith days of the 9ers offense).
Granted I did,but I was thinking of the 15-20yrd seams for the TE as you said VD lived off ,Gates,Gronk and JG.

gmor

Reaction score
Largent80":1mn5q6eh said:
I think we pick up a burner in the draft. And I think they won't be able to stack it like we have seen in the past.
This and the return of PRich will make it less likely to see the usual amount of congestion on the line. Graham just added a new dimension to the offense that must be accounted for.

Rose City Hawk

Reaction score
Dude is a threat period, deep, short, covered, open, he's going to revolutionize our team. I am so pumped and jacked!

Edited to comment on the original post. I think teams will stack the box until we prove that they can't anymore. Think of the implications for our other receivers, as well as our running game with Lynch and Wilson, my God, this isn't even going to be fair.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
With Graham, you can probably force opposing defenses into a little more nickel. So, we should see more skinny CBs and light coverage LBs on the field than before. Seattle loves going 3WR because it spreads out the defense and gives Marshawn more room to run. When we're in a two-back set, opposing defenses usually load up the box. With Graham, in theory, you keep the defense more honest even when you're running a base 2WR offense. You either have to put a CB on him or bracket him with an LB and safety. If Seattle runs play-action out of the I-formation, does a defense trust a run-stuffing LB to stop Graham from leaking out? If they drop a safety on him, that will give our WRs one-on-ones down the field. If we can add a true deep threat, then it's really pick your poison time.

jake206

Reaction score
Yes. They'll say prove it, until we burn them enough times with alley oop passes.