Seahawks Underrated D line Possible FA Signings

brendan250

Reaction score
It was evident this year that Seattle could of used slightly more depth on the D line with the departure of Clemons,Bryant, and Mcdonald. Given our current salary cap situation do you see any possible way we could pick up some under valued d lineman like we did two seasons ago with Avril and Bennett.

Granted when Mebane and Hill are healthy the line has real potential however, with Williams free agency and age, it would be great if we could pick up even 1 serviceable DT FA to add depth to the line.

Do you think this is a possibility or will we just have to use a couple of our many mid round draft picks to get some D line depth?

Seattle is great at maximizing player potential and finding players no one wants. Last year they showed interest in Melton. If we could acquire someone like him at a discounted rate it would be great. Anyone else have any other possible cheap D lineman who could fit nicely in Seattle?

bigcc

Reaction score
well red bryant was just cut.....

Hill was really starting to turn it on, let's just hope him/mebane can stay healthy, im more concerned about depth at safety and interior OL

kidhawk

Reaction score
Considering we had the #1 overall defense and the #3 rushing defense in the league (going from memory here, so they could be slightly off), I'd say our defensive line was pretty stout. Also add in the fact that we had a load of them out due to injury, and I think we improve just by giving these guys an off season to heal up.

Hyak

Reaction score
kidhawk":1pyzexpk said:
Considering we had the #1 overall defense and the #3 rushing defense in the league (going from memory here, so they could be slightly off), I'd say our defensive line was pretty stout. Also add in the fact that we had a load of them out due to injury, and I think we improve just by giving these guys an off season to heal up.

I hear this mentioned a lot here and I really disagree that all is good. I do think injuries help DT although they need to either bring back Kevin Williams or sign a replacement cog. At DE, they need a viable 3rd pass rusher to go with Avril and Bennett although we should note Bennett in an ideal world is a rush DT on passing downs.

I was really hoping we had a shot at Sheard to add to that rotation.

1. Before the DL injuries took place (which really were on the interior), our pass rush was average at best.

2. Against good/great QB's, our vaunted defense gave up an average of 24 points/game. They were lit up pretty good by Rivers, Romo, and Brady.

3. Our end of season defensive stats were padded by some pretty average to poor QB's down the stretch. Kapernick twice, Stanton, Lindley, Sanchez, Hill.

Hyak

Reaction score
Contrast that to 2013 when this D just dismantled top QB's. I think that average was somewhere around 15 points/game and that was skewed by Indy scoring 27 against our defense.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I would love to add to the DL, but i think the additions are already on the team. We were so injured on the DL, especially the interior last year and even without any depth, they played great. Guys like Marsh, Hill, Scruggs could all provide a much needed boost

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
JTB":3cauf24g said:
2. Against good/great QB's, our vaunted defense gave up an average of 24 points/game. They were lit up pretty good by Rivers, Romo, and Brady.
You should take into account where the team was at during those games. They team came together towards the latter half of the year. They were in turmoil during 2 of those games and we all know the D was being held together with bubble gum and rubber bands during the SB.

Hyak

Reaction score
I know we were banged up early but it was not on the D-Line.

I am bullish on Hill for 2015. Frankly, I think it's really speculative to expect Scruggs or Marsh to have any impact. Also, we need to attempt to upgrade Schofield.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":10zfiabm said:
I would love to add to the DL, but i think the additions are already on the team. We were so injured on the DL, especially the interior last year and even without any depth, they played great. Guys like Marsh, Hill, Scruggs could all provide a much needed boost

I agree with this.

Bring back Kevin Williams on another cheap, one year deal.

Combined with the guys coming back from injury and a draft pick or two, the D-line should be solid.

McGruff

Reaction score
JTB":2gszlrbd said:
I know we were banged up early but it was not on the D-Line.

I am bullish on Hill for 2015. Frankly, I think it's really speculative to expect Scruggs or Marsh to have any impact. Also, we need to attempt to upgrade Schofield.

I think Hill and Marsh will both play big roles next season. I'm done putting my eggs in the Scruggs basket, though.

titan3131

Reaction score
I know Marsh's his arm length isnt leo like but what are the chances were planning on having him there this year?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
If we want another pass rusher I wouldn't mind Dwight freeney. He's old but ca still rush the passer, and will come cheap at this point.

McGruff

Reaction score
titan3131":g13kgrra said:
I know Marsh's his arm length isnt leo like but what are the chances were planning on having him there this year?

The feeling I get from them is they view him in the Bennett role, but I can see him, Avril, Bennett and Hill all on the field in passing situations.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but a deep sleeper I really like for the D-line is Tyrunn Walker. He was non-tendered by the Saints as an RFA (wouldn't count against the comp pick formula) due to lack of cap space (they'd love to have him back). He was a backup 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT for the Saints and rated very highly by PFF (21st out of 81 qualifying interior D-linemen in 2014) with positive grades vs. the run and as a pass rusher (2.5 sacks in reserve duty). He's been lauded for his work ethic and motor as well. For a cheap investment he'd bring size (6-4, 300+), position/package versatility, character, youth (25 this season), and a year spent previously working with current Hawks DL coach Travis Jones with the Saints in 2012 when Walker made the 53-man roster as an undrafted rookie and was a healthy inactive for all 16 games.

kidhawk

Reaction score
JTB":3pmuuext said:
kidhawk":3pmuuext said:

I hear this mentioned a lot here and I really disagree that all is good. I do think injuries help DT although they need to either bring back Kevin Williams or sign a replacement cog. At DE, they need a viable 3rd pass rusher to go with Avril and Bennett although we should note Bennett in an ideal world is a rush DT on passing downs.

I was really hoping we had a shot at Sheard to add to that rotation.

1. Before the DL injuries took place (which really were on the interior), our pass rush was average at best.

3. Our end of season defensive stats were padded by some pretty average to poor QB's down the stretch. Kapernick twice, Stanton, Lindley, Sanchez, Hill.

1) You worry about the pass rush on a team ranked #1 vs the pass...I like to think having the #1 ranked pass defense, means we are doing ok there. Can we upgrade, of course. Every team can. Is it a dire situation that must be handled? Nope

2) Against Rivers and Romo, we had some issues with injured players playing nowhere near 100%....Namely Chancellor. As for Brady, that's a one off from a great quarterback who found a weakness and exploited it...again, an injury caused us to have to play Simon who himself was injured.

3) Our ranking isn't based on playing a few quarterbacks. Our #1 defense was number one over the course of the season playing every team on the schedule (and it wasn't an easy schedule)

So to keep this simple....yes we can upgrade....yes this is true for pretty much every position, especially in depth. Is our situation dire on the D-line? I don't think so. We are more in need of depth amongst our defense. IMO, it's our offense and ESPECIALLY the offensive line that needs the most attention right now.

Hyak

Reaction score
Their pass rush IMO is at best when Bennett is inside and I would plug in Hill or Williams/TBA at the other DT spot. That means someone has to be opposite Avril at DE. Irvin has done it but he isn't consistent. Same for Schofield, who is unlikely to be back. Marsh could be the answer but I'd like to hedge my bet.

Hyak

Reaction score
I do understand where you are coming from but I think you are understating the concern where you think I am overstating it. No question OL is a priority now although those are self imposed holes since they let Carpenter walk and traded Unger (sounded like he was going to get cut if they could not trade him).

That said, the DL depth was without question downgraded from 2013 to begin with and it worsened during the year due to injuries. In addition, they have Williams and Schofield as unrestricted FA's while their is talk Mebane or McDaniels could be cap cuts. Maybe Hill, Marsh, and Scruggs emerge this year as solutions but it still makes me nervous as of right now.

Yeah we were #1 in the rankings in 2014 but it was largely due to that 6-game run and in hindsight the competition absolutely was a factor.

First 10 games (6-4 record): 218 points allowed (21.8/game), 3061 yards allowed (306/game), 2153 pass yards (215/game), 908 run yards (91/game), 14 turnovers

Last 6 games (6-0 record): 39 points allowed (6.5/game), 1213 yards allowed (202/game), 817 pass yards (136/game), 396 run yards (66/game), 10 turnovers

3 Playoff games (2-1 record): 67 points allowed (22.3/game), 1045 yards allowed (348/game), 721 pass yards (240/game), 324 run yards (108/game), 7 turnovers

titan3131

Reaction score
Yes we know. And I doubt were interested. Unless its to let him retire.