Mebane

BelfastHawk

Reaction score
I was listening to the NFL roundtable with Clayton and Sando here.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... and%20Salk

And JC speculated that Mebane would be asked to take a pay cut (if he has not been asked already) and that Mebane's family were reluctant to do that. He thought if he would not restructure he would be cut.

Just passing on and apologies if thread is duplicate.

Basis4day

Reaction score
BelfastHawk":yxq1pmvr said:
I was listening to the NFL roundtable with Clayton and Sando here.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... and%20Salk

And JC speculated that Mebane would be asked to take a pay cut (if he has not been asked already) and that Mebane's family were reluctant to do that. He thought if he would not restructure he would be cut.

Just passing on and apologies if thread is duplicate.

That is the assumption. Yes.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Heard the rumors as well... and they make sense to me.

Bane may well be gone.

Only $0.2M in dead money and a $5.5M cap savings.

Hyak

Reaction score
One has to think he or McDaniels will either get released for cap space or take a cap reduction (restructure or an extension).

I'd like to see them work something out with Mebane on a short term extension like they did with Miller last year.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Trade him to the Jaguars or the Eagles. They love our defensive players.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Been saying this for a long time now, $5.5M for a two-down NT coming off of a major injury and now on the wrong side of 30 is completely untenable, despite how much we all love the guy. There's zero chance that Mebane takes the field in a Hawks uniform this year under his current salary. Barring a significant reduction, I'm expecting Mebane to be released, clearing another $5.5M in cap space with an immaterial $200K in dead money. I'm expecting something comparable with Tony McDaniel's contract situation as well.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I really hope we cut McDaniels first before we look at restructuring/letting go of Mebane. Even if we need more cap room after that I hope they restructure vs out right cut him. But other posters are right, it would make the most sense to cut him it seems..

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Keeping McDaniels on the books give the FO some leverage when trying to convince Bane to re-structure.

If Bane does, that I expect McDaniels to be cut.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":7tj98vxs said:
Keeping McDaniels on the books give the FO some leverage when trying to convince Bane to re-structure.

If Bane does, that I expect McDaniels to be cut.

It seems like that would be a very easy bluff to call... Mebane has eyes; he saw how well McDaniel played. If they cut Mebane they would have to add someone, it wouldn't matter whether or not McDaniel was still there.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
McDaniel (there's no 's' on the end) isn't leverage in talks with Mebane. Mebane is a pure 1-tech NT. McDaniel is a 3T DT or (in an emergency) 5T DE. There's a reason why after Mebane went down last season they moved Kevin Williams and not McDaniel over to the 1-tech, even though Williams had never played there before in his life. McDaniel is too tall and doesn't have the base/leverage to play over the center. The leverage with Mebane is Seattle's purported interest in Terrence Knighton.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":4wr4m44y said:
McDaniel (there's no 's' on the end) isn't leverage in talks with Mebane. Mebane is a pure 1-tech NT. McDaniel is a 3T DT or (in an emergency) 5T DE. There's a reason why after Mebane went down last season they moved Kevin Williams and not McDaniel over to the 1-tech, even though Williams had never played there before in his life. McDaniel is too tall and doesn't have the base/leverage to play over the center.

Williams had played 1-Tech before. I remember because when he first came to Seattle there was an article about how the Vikings had him play in that position because that's where he did best but it wasn't his favorite to play.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2x9lvorc said:
NorthDallas40oz":2x9lvorc said:
McDaniel (there's no 's' on the end) isn't leverage in talks with Mebane. Mebane is a pure 1-tech NT. McDaniel is a 3T DT or (in an emergency) 5T DE. There's a reason why after Mebane went down last season they moved Kevin Williams and not McDaniel over to the 1-tech, even though Williams had never played there before in his life. McDaniel is too tall and doesn't have the base/leverage to play over the center.

Williams had played 1-Tech before. I remember because when he first came to Seattle there was an article about how the Vikings had him play in that position because that's where he did best but it wasn't his favorite to play.
Williams had never been a full-time 1-tech before and his amount of past experience there in Minnesota was of a brief and immaterial amount, and not suited to his skill set. And yet he was still deemed a better option for the job than McDaniel last year when needed, hence why McDaniel is in no way 'leverage' in contract renegotiations with Mebane.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2y940zsh said:
bbsplitter":2y940zsh said:
NorthDallas40oz":2y940zsh said:

Williams had never been a full-time 1-tech before and his amount of past experience there in Minnesota was of a brief and immaterial amount, and not suited to his skill set. And yet he was still deemed a better option for the job than McDaniel last year when needed, hence why McDaniel is in no way 'leverage' in contract renegotiations with Mebane.

That's a lot different than "never before in his life". False embellishment isn't needed: we understand he was the better option for the job.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think Mebane is gonna take a pay cut in the form of a signing bonus.

I've been saying a 3 year deal.

But 2 years might work.

Lets say you convert 4m of his 5.5 base salary into a signing bonus.

Give him a 1m base salary gauranteed in 2015.

He counts 3.2m against the cap but makes 5m, saves 2.3m in 2015.

You can then covert the rest of the .5m remaining into a roster bonus. Give him a 1.5m base salary gauranteed in 2016 if he's on the 53 man roster at seasons start and he counts 4m against the cap.

But essentially he's playing on a 2 yr, 7.2m contract that's pretty much all gauranteed.

If the Seahawks cut or trade him in 2016, you don't save money or lose money.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":34nubycc said:

But 2 years might work.

You can then covert the rest of the .5m remaining into a roster bonus. Give him a 1.5m base salary gauranteed in 2016 if he's on the 53 man roster at seasons start and he counts 4m against the cap.

But essentially he's playing on a 2 yr, 7.2m contract that's pretty much all gauranteed.

If they do an extension type of restructure they will leave themselves a window to get out of the deal in case Mebane can't come back fully after the injury. I highly doubt they guarantee all his money just to spread it out over more years. If it comes down to something like that they'll just cut him and take their chances at resigning him for less after he tests this bloated market or bringing in one of the half dozen guys on the market that could fill in nicely for less.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
DJrmb":2nkm8djc said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2nkm8djc said:

But 2 years might work.

If they do an extension type of restructure they will leave themselves a window to get out of the deal in case Mebane can't come back fully after the injury. I highly doubt they guarantee all his money just to spread it out over more years. If it comes down to something like that thAll just cut him and take their chances at resigning him for less after he tests this bloated market or bringing in one of the half dozen guys on the market that could fill in nicely for less.

My proposal above has the Seahawks losing 0 money in 2016 if they cut him.

Sure they don't save the full 5.5m but Mebane it works for both sides. Mebane still gets most of his 2015 salary.

And I rather roll the dice like that on Mebane. If he doesn't work out it's not the end of the world. If comes back and dominates he's a bargain.

Seafan

Reaction score
Norton will get him and he'll get paid if the Hawks release him and he knows that.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Seafan":33b02ldt said:
Norton will get him and he'll get paid if the Hawks release him and he knows that.

Typical fan answer...

If guys like Terrance Knighton can't get "Paid" like he thought and is having to settle for offers around 3.5M then Mebane's best option is to restructure.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":36sg6dx8 said:
DJrmb":36sg6dx8 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":36sg6dx8 said:

But 2 years might work.

If they do an extension type of restructure they will leave themselves a window to get out of the deal in case Mebane can't come back fully after the injury. I highly doubt they guarantee all his money just to spread it out over more years. If it comes down to something like that thAll just cut him and take their chances at resigning him for less after he tests this bloated market or bringing in one of the half dozen guys on the market that could fill in nicely for less.

My proposal above has the Seahawks losing 0 money in 2016 if they cut him.

Sure they don't save the full 5.5m but Mebane it works for both sides. Mebane still gets most of his 2015 salary.

And I rather roll the dice like that on Mebane. If he doesn't work out it's not the end of the world. If comes back and dominates he's a bargain.

If you convert 4M into a signing bonus then it get's spread out for the life of the contract. So cutting him in year 2 would cost you 2M in dead money, no?

I'm all for keeping him under a new deal but I think they could get more creative than that. Maybe work in a bigger Roster Bonus instead of using so much as a signing bonus, and tacking on an extra year so if he's done after the surgery then they can eliminate some of that guaranteed money.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seafan":15oy2yah said:

Nope.

Why do you think all these D-tackles haven't signed yet? The D-lineman market is soft, and Mebane knows that, which is why he went out and hired a new agent. He's not hearing what he wants to hear.

He's gonna have to come down from 5M a year if he wants to stay here................hey that rhymed.