Are we done in FA/ trades?

Northhawk

Reaction score
I was pleased to see the Graham acquisition but we still have holes that need to be filled. I thought by today we would have picked up a DT and/or DE. Starks, Wilfork, Hardy?

I also thought we would have done something at G and C. Wisniewski? JS said he likes some of the players we have including practice squad members.

Are we going with Baldwin, Kearse, Richards, Norwood, Mathews and Daniels plus draft pick(s) at WR? Would be nice to a cheap B-level WR.

I realize JS likes to bargain shop but most servicable D and O line talent is gone.

So do u think we going to make any more moves?

Just got a feeling we are one of the teams sniffing around Hardy.

jblaze

Reaction score
Hardy? No.

While it's sexy to look for big FA signings or trades, it's few and far between. At this point we'll sign a DE or DT mid level guy or two on 1-2 year deals. The draft is thick in the middle rounds with decent OL so I think we go there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign Wis but I think he's going to explore his market and visit around first. He would fit here but again, if there's an option in the draft for center and you get them for 4 years on the cheap, that makes a lot of sense. Perhaps they fill holes in the OL this year in the draft. They do have a lot of confidence in Cable, that's for sure.

We need to draft OL, WR and CB. We have not been successful drafting DL at all. It's also something the FO has shown they're willing to fill in FA so I think we pick up another DT and DE. McDaniel is probably gone as he had a pretty down year.

Overall, the big deal is done. Graham will be an awesome addition to our passing game and he's the type of mismatch we've been looking for to keep teams honest. That is the biggest deal we'll make obviously but we'll fill holes here and there.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
As many others on the site have mentioned, Schneider loves the comp picks he has publicly stated it factors into his off-season plans. This means he's more likely to go after players that are cut vs UFA or especially RFA, I'd guess we probably had interest in Sheard and Johnson and a few others who got away. As we get further into the offseason/after the draft more players will be cut and we want cap space in the event.

Many people on the site disagree but I think Ungers physical is still a very important step it's possible he fails and we have to send different compensation to the saints/undo the trade, we wouldn't want to spend what remaining money we have left and then be stuck without a TE and/or with a bum center.

Lastly the Wilson and Wagner contracts loom over everything. We have to be very responsible with cap space so as to leave our options open regarding negotiations.

As for players you mentioned:

Hardy - Would love to have him here but it seems like other teams are willing to give him a large contract we can't offer that.

WR's - I think we need to add a veteran presence. Thats also how 90% of the league would feel which means its probably a bad idea.

O-Line- We will 100% bring in atleast 2 lineman through draft or FA but I think they are fairly comfortable with what they have. If they aren't this strategy would be ridiculous.

KR/PR - I think this is an area we need to seriously invest in either via draft/trade or FA, I'd love to see Patterson here for a mid round pick. I don't think it happens and I think the coaches are comfortable rolling the dice.

OP
OP
N

Northhawk

Reaction score
jblaze":ihohb69y said:
Hardy? No.

While it's sexy to look for big FA signings or trades, it's few and far between. At this point we'll sign a DE or DT mid level guy or two on 1-2 year deals. The draft is thick in the middle rounds with decent OL so I think we go there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign Wis but I think he's going to explore his market and visit around first. He would fit here but again, if there's an option in the draft for center and you get them for 4 years on the cheap, that makes a lot of sense. Perhaps they fill holes in the OL this year in the draft. They do have a lot of confidence in Cable, that's for sure.

We need to draft OL, WR and CB. We have not been successful drafting DL at all. It's also something the FO has shown they're willing to fill in FA so I think we pick up another DT and DE. McDaniel is probably gone as he had a pretty down year.

Overall, the big deal is done. Graham will be an awesome addition to our passing game and he's the type of mismatch we've been looking for to keep teams honest. That is the biggest deal we'll make obviously but we'll fill holes here and there.

We're in agreement. I'm not thinking big "sexy" signing after Graham - the Hawks don't need one and couldn't even if they wanted to. We just have holes which need to be plugged with some average to good players.

jkitsune

Reaction score
FA isn't even a week old, so no, I doubt we're done, particularly given that there tends to be a wave of players released later on in FA as cap deadlines approach. No worries.

2_0_6

Reaction score
IF we spend any kind of significant money on a player it needs to be an Olineman.

As much as I want a veteran WR, I would much rather allocate that money to get Russell some protection

jblaze

Reaction score
In unrelated moves, WTF, WR Kenny Britt just got 14m over 2 years from the Rams. I wanted him but not at that price.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
I keep waiting for prices to come down. That is when you'll see Seattle sign someone. I thought we could maybe take a sniff at Derrick Morgan but he got way more than I was expecting. Andre Johnson and Kenny Britt were two guys I thought Seattle could land, but again, the $ is out of whack. Seattle isn't signing anyone for $5 million per.

McGruff

Reaction score
Fa happens in 3 waves. Wave one is the first day, the superstars. Seattle usually targets one or two players here. Sometimes they get tem, sometimes they don't. Wave two is the first week. This tends to be where teams get in trouble spending first wave money for third wave talent.

The third wave is where Seattle makes its money catching players whose expectations exceeded the market and players who fell through the cracks. The next month is where you will see a signing or two that was hinted at the first week, and several that come out of the blue.

kearly

Reaction score
Exactly what McGruff said. Seattle will still make moves as the offseason goes along. They will mostly be small. Big opportunities could happen if the right opportunity presents itself.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Free agency isn't over. Trades can always happen. Surprise cuts from other teams. The draft. Cuts from 90 to 53. So much to happen before the season.

We're less than a week into the new season.

jake206

Reaction score
Prolly last minute pickup, but I don't think it'll be anyone big.

Hyak

Reaction score
I think this wave of FA is always interesting as the big money spending is over. The closer it gets to the draft, teams will focus on that and vets still on the market have to adjust their asking price to ensure they are not left behind.

Some guys like Wisniewski are probably OK as they are good players that are fairly young but the Seahawks are not going to give him some monster deal. If they can work out a manageable deal, he's a guy you can go forward with.

I'd expect a veteran interior lineman to get signed, whether it's Wisniewski, a Chris Myers, or maybe even re-signing LJP. I also expect them to sign another DL, whether it's re-signing Kevin Williams, Randy Starks, or a veteran edge rusher.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
What McG said, but just possibbly there is one more big deal to be made before phase three.

A DE (a surprise) or Wisnieski, or Smith or ?

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks haven't participated in unrestricted free agency yet and likely won't except to sign perhaps a couple of their own.

TahoeHawk

Reaction score
As so many wise people on this site say very often: "In JS and PC, I trust." As fun as it is for us to have the Seahawks make big moves in free agency ... the fact that they generally *don't* do so (but see P. Harvin and J. Graham as notable exceptions) is, IMO, one of the things that continues to keep Seattle competitive. (Just my opinion.) I don't even think that "the Graham trade" really even fits within the concept of "free agency," per se ... I know that some of the experts can keep me straight on that.

Mick063

Reaction score
Have we crossed the finish line?

To quote JS....."There is no finish line."

What does that mean?

He never stops looking to improve the team in a cost efficient manner. Of course they are not done. They are looking, evaluating, and after due diligence, they may or may not choose to add another free agent. But they certainly are not "done".

I personally believe that a cap casualty might fall in their lap a couple of more times this spring.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, we're probably done with any 'big money' deals, trade or FA. So, we'll go on and probably sign a few guys that only the real football nerds know anything about. I don't really care. IMHO, we're still a solid playoff contender, even before the Graham deal, and that just solidifies our position.

There's a lot of offseason left, but for Schneider, there really isn't an off season. He'll keep combing the waiver wire and the lists of released players. Hell, Canandian football is gonna start up in a few months, so some standouts in the Great White North might pique his interest.

After the draft, there's always a bit of roster shuffling around the league. Not worried at all.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
kearly":18fntrh9 said:
Big opportunities could happen if the right opportunity presents itself.
I swear to God that I once had a Chinese fortune cookie that said the exact same thing.