BJ Daniels: Punt/Kick Returner?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sounds like Pete is going to give him a fair shot to be the man next year.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/576521254854754304[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/576521490734039040[/tweet]

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I like the idea of BJ Daniels lined up just to create the threat of a Flea Flicker. Just like read option just another dimension that makes defenses ease up. Works for me.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I was really hoping Daniels would be active for the Super Bowl, return kicks and possibly even a trick play or two....

Oh well - next year

Mick063

Reaction score
Better him than Walters.

Carroll seems genuinely giddy about this. He might turn out to be a nice surprise.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I have no problem with Daniels being ONE of the guys to compete for the PR job, but I find it ridiculous that the Hawks keep trying to turn non-PRs into PRs when we are trying to win Championships.

If Daniels wins the job by beating out people who could win the job on other teams, GREAT.

But if Daniels wins because the Hawks decide to let Simon and other non-PRs compete, then we would just have Walters 2.0

Largent80

Reaction score
If Pete likes him and wants him involved, then I'm in.

He has put in a lot of work on the P.S. so maybe it is time to see what he's got.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm not fond of the idea of having someone who has little to no experience returning punts and kicks all of a sudden doing it. It didn't work well with Richard Sherman last year. Daniels probably has even less than Sherman since he was QB in college and the pro career thus far. I'd be more comfortable with someone who has been doing it all along. Like Will Blackmon, etc. But then again, what do I know? It may work.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sounds as if BJ has gotten a fair amount of return work in during practice this past season as well as at WR and of course some snaps at QB.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I heard that he's done all those different things for the past two years so he's gotten alot more reps at it then we think. If he's an upgrade at those positions I would take it. It's still a competition so who knows if he will get a chance to but it's interesting none the less, he's like a swiss army knife for us.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I get the emphasis on ball security, that said I think a trindon holliday type would improve this team. The walters/etIII/etc experiment was painful.

MrThortan

Reaction score
If he competes and gets the job, that is a pretty good story. From what I have heard, he is similar to Terrelle Pryor, in that he isn't up to par to start as a QB, but is an excellent athlete. Unlike Pryor though, BJ sounds willing to let go of the QB dream and try his hand at other positions.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3ekubwyt said:
I have no problem with Daniels being ONE of the guys to compete for the PR job, but I find it ridiculous that the Hawks keep trying to turn non-PRs into PRs when we are trying to win Championships.

If Daniels wins the job by beating out people who could win the job on other teams, GREAT.

But if Daniels wins because the Hawks decide to let Simon and other non-PRs compete, then we would just have Walters 2.0

In Pete's interview with Softy, he said it would be a wide open competition and said Daniels would be in it.

kearly

Reaction score
He's been talking up Daniels for a long time now. With genuine excitement in his voice. I think the reason we haven't seen him is because Pete wants Daniels to get some game experience in the return game before trusting him completely, and the safest way to do that is to wait for the preseason.

Doesn't mean the job is his, just means he is in the mix. The draft could factor in this, as there are some Seahawky WRs that double as dangerous returners.

I think Pete basically views Daniels as another Golden Tate, best case scenario. An agile and somewhat tanky WR who can make guys miss. Golden even threw a TD pass, and there might be some of those Randel-El type plays drawn up for Daniels, who will still be in the mix at QB. Given Bevell's proclivity for cute plays, I would be surprised at all if Daniels made the 53 next year.

kobebryant

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2tb1ji4v said:
I'm not fond of the idea of having someone who has little to no experience returning punts and kicks all of a sudden doing it. It didn't work well with Richard Sherman last year. .

Sherman was fine from what I remember. It was very limited, but I don't think 1 fair catch last year, and 1 attempt for -6 yards is a large enough sample size to say that it didn't work well.

Rocket

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3vjprvgf said:
I'm not fond of the idea of having someone who has little to no experience returning punts and kicks all of a sudden doing it. It didn't work well with Richard Sherman last year.
Sherman?
Not 29?
Did I miss a return?
Oh woe is me. :cry:

Largent80

Reaction score
kearly":2l21gg4t said:
He's been talking up Daniels for a long time now. With genuine excitement in his voice. I think the reason we haven't seen him is because Pete wants Daniels to get some game experience in the return game before trusting him completely, and the safest way to do that is to wait for the preseason.

Doesn't mean the job is his, just means he is in the mix. The draft could factor in this, as there are some Seahawky WRs that double as dangerous returners.

I think Pete basically views Daniels as another Golden Tate, best case scenario. An agile and somewhat tanky WR who can make guys miss. Golden even threw a TD pass, and there might be some of those Randel-El type plays drawn up for Daniels, who will still be in the mix at QB. Given Bevell's proclivity for cute plays, I would be surprised at all if Daniels made the 53 next year.

^ This. It makes the most sense, to be able to have the capability to put those types of plays in occasionally is just another weapon.