FACT: Last time Seahawks turned over the ball from 1yd line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
...was by Marshawn Lynch in the 2013 NFC Championship game against the San Francisco 49ers.

He fumbled the handoff on 4th and 1 with 8:26 to go in the fourth quarter (he just dropped it - wasn't even hit!). The Seahawks just took the lead 20-17 on a ridiculous 35 yard pass play on 4th and 7 five mins earlier. And they needed this TD to put a nail in the 49ers coffin.

8 minutes later the 49ers are on the Seahawks 18 yard line and throwing into the end zone attempting a game winning touchdown. If not for Sherman making a miracle tip Marshawn Lynch would have been the greatest scapegoat (as opposed to GOAT) to all the haters that seem to be ganging up on Pete and Darryl now.

Instead...Marshawn is a beloved member of the 2013 Seahawks championship team whose defense and coaches bailed him out.

Does anyone see the irony - never mind incredible good fortune - at all?

marko358

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":26wr48lg said:
marko358":26wr48lg said:
My lord, will this ever end?

Oh...I didn't see the thread you made previously pointing this fact out.

Post a link...

All of these different angles were covered ad nauseum in 200 threads in the days following the game.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
marko358":1ro8o6nc said:
Vancanhawksfan":1ro8o6nc said:
marko358":1ro8o6nc said:

Post a link...

All of these different angles were covered ad nauseum in 200 threads in the days following the game.

Bull.

No one mentioned that Marshawn was the last player to turn the ball over on the 1 yard line - in a championship with everything on the line - one year previously.

No one mentioned that prior to that ZERO NFL teams threw a pick from the one yard line prior to when he fumbled away possession on the 1 yard line nearly costing the Seahawks a Super Bowl.

Why...because we didn't lose that game because he got bailed out.

Everyone loves to hate on Bevell...but Bevell not only didn't make a bad call in SB49, but he may have even had justification (or at least rationale) for making the call he did.

marko358

Reaction score
And the Niners defense in 2013 was light year's better than the Pats defense this year. Lynch was running with ease against the Pats. And a majority of folks on here admitted a pass was ok, just not that stupid pass to a 4th string receiver. But keep at it. Hopefully you'll find one other person to argue with.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":1fwzw5ie said:
marko358":1fwzw5ie said:
Vancanhawksfan":1fwzw5ie said:
marko358":1fwzw5ie said:

Post a link...

Bullshit.

No one mentioned that Marshawn was the last player to turn the ball over on the 1 yard line - in a championship - one year previously.

No one mentioned that prior to that ZERO NFL teams threw a pick from the one yard line prior to when he fumbled away possession on the 1 yard line nearly costing the Seahawks a Super Bowl.

Talk about beating a dead horse, when was the last time you posted about something non-super bowl related? I'd sub you for hawksurething in an instant. #Jussayin

Tumblr inline n1ly8xjG8X1sr0mhw

Feel free to keep giving mods a reason to ban you as well, you're crapping all over the main forum with this stuff.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
marko358":3v06kj2c said:
And the Niners defense in 2013 was light year's better than the Pats defense this year. Lynch was running with ease against the Pats. And a majority of folks on here admitted a pass was ok, just not that stupid pass to a 4th string receiver. But keep at it. Hopefully you'll find one other person to argue with.

The last time the Seahawks ran that EXACT "stupid pass" from that position was against the 9-2 New Orleans Saints on MNF in 2013...to a 3rd string tight end for a WIDE OPEN touchdown.

Hopefully you'll find another person to argue with you about how "stupid" that play was.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":d5wmvlzu said:
Vancanhawksfan":d5wmvlzu said:
marko358":d5wmvlzu said:
Vancanhawksfan":d5wmvlzu said:

Bullshit.

No one mentioned that Marshawn was the last player to turn the ball over on the 1 yard line - in a championship - one year previously.

Talk about beating a dead horse, when was the last time you posted about something non-super bowl related? I'd sub you for hawksurething in an instant. #Jussayin

Tumblr inline n1ly8xjG8X1sr0mhw

Feel free to keep giving mods a reason to ban you as well, you're crapping all over the main forum with this stuff.

Oh...so you're the forum captain now? You've put a ban on all Super Bowl talk because you're incapable of not clicking on a link you aren't interested in?

mmmmmkayy

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
marko358":3qykdlxw said:
.......And a majority of folks on here admitted a pass was ok, just not that stupid pass to a 4th string receiver..........
And THIS is why you should just STOP with the whole "bailed Lynch out" stuff. I said 2 mins. after the game the following:

Why didn't we just run Marshawn? Barring that and if you want to pass, fine but PLEASE throw a corner route or fade to Matthews so it can be incomplete or a TD. Considering how well Russ threw the ball all day I have no doubt he'd place it perfectly. Or, why couldn't Bevell run the RO or again if you must throw, drag a TE across the middle while RW rolls out and has a run or throw option? If no one's open and he can't get in, he just throws it out of the back of the end zone and the Hawks have 2 more downs to score.

I stand by that statement today, tomorrow and until the day I freakin' die. Bevell failed with the play call and Pete failed by not overruling it.

Looking forward to 2015.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":na0o93dd said:
Oh...so you're the forum captain now? You've put a ban on all Super Bowl talk because you're incapable of not clicking on a link you aren't interested in?

mmmmmkayy

Nah, I'm to the mods what the English Nazi party were to the SS. I've got no legit authority but that won't stop me being an asshole.

I'm sorry you think this topic is more interesting and worthy of discussion than others do.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":39618qsg said:
marko358":39618qsg said:
.......And a majority of folks on here admitted a pass was ok, just not that stupid pass to a 4th string receiver..........
And THIS is why you should just STOP with the whole "bailed Lynch out" stuff. I said 2 mins. after the game the following:

Why didn't we just run Marshawn? Barring that and if you want to pass, fine but PLEASE throw a corner route or fade to Matthews so it can be incomplete or a TD. Considering how well Russ threw the ball all day I have no doubt he'd place it perfectly. Or, why couldn't Bevell run the RO or again if you must throw, drag a TE across the middle while RW rolls out and has a run or throw option? If no one's open and he can't get in, he just throws it out of the back of the end zone and the Hawks have 2 more downs to score.

I stand by that statement today, tomorrow and until the day I freakin' die. Bevell failed with the play call and Pete failed by not overruling it.

Looking forward to 2015.

Why was it a fail?

1. The last time the Seahawks ran that exact play from that position was against a 9-2 New Orleans team in 2013 which the receiver was WIDE OPEN for a touchdown.

2. In 2014 NFL teams ran 106 passing plays from the 1 yd line converting 57.5% for TDs with zero turnovers.

3. In 2014 NFL teams ran 212 running plays from the 1 yd line converting 57.5% for TDs with two turnovers.

There is no evidence to suggest that the play call had any risk to it. NONE.

And while I have no problem with your play call suggestions hind sight is 20/20. There was no reason for anyone to think that the outcome of this play call had any less possibility of success than any other. But there is actually evidence that a run play with Lynch can turn badly (and noooooo, I'm not suggesting that Lynch is a bad option so don't even go there).

p.s. - in 2014 Marshawn converted from the 1 yard line 41.7% of the time (5/12) and lost yards on 4 of those plays. Seahawks passing plays converted 50% of the time from the 1 yd line with zero plays losing yardage.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2gs8ohi1 said:
Vancanhawksfan":2gs8ohi1 said:

mmmmmkayy

Nah, I'm to the mods what the English Nazi party were to the SS. I've got no legit authority but that won't stop me being an asshole.

I'm sorry you think this topic is more interesting and worthy of discussion than others do.

Well... if you're sorry then begone then.

StoneCold

Reaction score
VanCan makes some good points, if perhaps a bit late as the issue has been belabored in many threads. That said I do find it entertaining to see the "Bevell stole my Dolly" clan getting their undies in a twist.

Well done VanCan. :thirishdrinkers:

SC

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
StoneCold":hpacbu32 said:
VanCan makes some good points, if perhaps a bit late as the issue has been belabored in many threads. That said I do find it entertaining to see the "Bevell stole my Dolly" clan getting their undies in a twist.

Well done VanCan. :thirishdrinkers:

SC

I don't want to dwell on the game because I'm so happy being a Seahawks fan even with the loss.

What I can't stand is all the Bevell hate. I despise that. People are so short-sighted.

drdiags

Reaction score
It happened in the Falcons playoff game, but Unger recovered though the defense couldn't shut down the Falcons with 31 secs left. The Seahawks didn't execute worth crap on that play and there is enough blame to spread around for the entire team so opportunity lost.

If you want to keep stirring up what if scenarios there are many chances to. FG to cap off the second half drive instead of TD, missed 3rd down bomb, 10 pt lead given up in the 4th, Okung unable to finish a block on the 1st down run at the goal line, Lockette being interfered with streaking down the middle of the field.

I am sure Packers fans are second guessing the last 5 minutes of the NFCCG. Gives them something to talk about until the season start. I am sure the interception will be re-hashed for quite a while.

mikeak

Reaction score
Fact is last time the Seahawks turned over the ball on the 1 yard line was in the Super Bowl against New England and it cost the Super Bowl. That was last season

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
drdiags":2le5kk5g said:
It happened in the Falcons playoff game, but Unger recovered though the defense couldn't shut down the Falcons with 31 secs left. The Seahawks didn't execute worth crap on that play and there is enough blame to spread around for the entire team so opportunity lost.

If you want to keep stirring up what if scenarios there are many chances to. FG to cap off the second half drive instead of TD, missed 3rd down bomb, 10 pt lead given up in the 4th, Okung unable to finish a block on the 1st down run at the goal line, Lockette being interfered with streaking down the middle of the field.

I am sure Packers fans are second guessing the last 5 minutes of the NFCCG. Gives them something to talk about until the season start. I am sure the interception will be re-hashed for quite a while.

I'm not in disagreement with you - as a matter of fact I totally agree. I just hate all the Bevell hate which is why I brought up Marshawn as an example because he is beloved, and because every Bevell hater has argued that running Marshawn was the "only" logical choice. It wasn't, and Bevell actually has experience, rationale and good logic for making the call he did.

The Bevell hate (at least on this play call) is unjustified and I'd just like it to stop. Shit happens...and that's life. There was nothing wrong with the play call - we just ran into a very well prepared team and a CB who made the play of his life.

(note sure which fumble/int you're referring to in the Atlanta playoff game though...the only stats show the Lynch lost fumble on the 50 yd line and the Wilson interception on the hail mary from the 48 yd line at the end of the game)

drdiags

Reaction score
Those that hate Bevel are not going to budge. I can appreciate the effort to state the run was not an absolute given. I think the article Hugh Millen (of all people) did defending the call was an outstanding article.

But human nature is what it is. These type of plays make for great generational sports debate. Just too bad the Seahaawks have to be on the sharp end of the stick poking this event.

Personally I was not feeling toasty after seeing Brady slice/dice the defense in the 4th. It was the reason our team was afraid of leaving time on the clock (as Millen pointed out in his article stating the Seahawks were dead last the past two years in giving up the lead/pts in the 4th quarter or something like that. Go figure).

EDIT: The fumble was technically not a fumble, since Lynch lost it crossing the goal line. Just following along with the what if scenario. Guess you forgot about the last TD by Seattle with Breno dancing in the back of the Endzone prior to the collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.