Graham and blocking

Hawks46

Reaction score
So, in listening to Pete's last interview with Softy, a comment came up that really intrigued me.

Pete basically said that NO never asked Graham to block, and he was split out wide almost 65% of the time. Coupled with how much they throw the ball, Jimmy just wasn't asked to block.

Pete also mentioned that Jimmy has stated he's willing to block and that they will coach him up to be a better blocker.

NO's use of Graham just could be a scheme thing, plus he was very effective split out wide. Athletically, he's similar to Dorial Green Beckham, the WR in the draft that is a head case, but is so athletic and big that everyone is drooling over him and projecting him in the first round even though he didn't even play football last year. Graham is 6'7", 265 lbs and runs a 4.56 forty. DGB is 6'5", 230 lbs and ran a 4.49. Not a big difference.

Also, Seattle can probably coach the desire to block into Graham, using scheme. Imagine Graham split out wide, then blocking for either Lynch or Wilson on the RO, or blocking for a WR. Graham would be blocking secondary players. You can give him the "want to" by getting him to realize that he can start to hit all these guys that have been hitting him back, and breaking him into blocking with smaller players.

I found it interesting in that the general consensus seems to be that Graham can't block, or won't because he's soft. That seems to not be the case from what Pete was saying.

blazen2392

Reaction score
No. People call him soft because he shied away from contact against Kam. Despite being 265 he does not use his body to punish defenders the way gronk does. He also has a tendency to dissappear from games especially when DBs are being physical with him.

rideaducati

Reaction score
blazen2392":330dvez9 said:
No. People call him soft because he shied away from contact against Kam. Despite being 265 he does not use his body to punish defenders the way gronk does. He also has a tendency to dissappear from games especially when DBs are being physical with him.

The games he "disappeared" in were where teams used more than one defender to get him to do so. I'm sure he'll "disappear" in games for the Seahawks too, but then someone else will be left open or Marshawn will run into a box with fewer defenders in it.

Graham doesn't punish defenders because the defenders are going at his legs more often than not. Watch a few Saints games and you'll see that when given the opportunity to get more yards, Jimmy usually does. Watch the guys that actually TRY to take Jimmy on up high, it's amusing.

lobohawk

Reaction score
I've only seen Gronk "punish" DBs, so I think it may be more of a perception thing.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
King Dog":hxfjqvmb said:
I'm ok with him blocking like this for Beastmode :D
L1Pg0Yd
That doesn't show much. The guy was running and falling down--stupid little db. Beast throws guys like that into the sideline. I want to see video of Jimmy blocking a de.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If Graham turns out to be a good blocker for us, can you guys imagine how angry Saints fans will be? Ha.

I really hope he turns out to be a decent blocker.

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3q6vxk1n said:
If Graham turns out to be a good blocker for us, can you guys imagine how angry Saints fans will be? Ha.

It's impossible. I heard Tim Hasselbeck say so on the television.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":2bp6ye49 said:
RolandDeschain":2bp6ye49 said:

It's impossible. I heard Tim Hasselbeck say so on the television.

Well that ends that discussion because little Timmy said so :D

Tical21

Reaction score
He can't block nor does he have any desire to do so. Still will be a better blocker than Luke Willson.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It may be JG never was asked to block before but his money isn't in blocking and we didn't get him thinking of blocking.I know Pete says he will be coached up if needed and he is willing to block.Thats all I need to know.We need to give JG the Hawk a chance and forget the Saint JG.I hated him before but he's ours now- so forgive and forget is the way I'm going.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sometimes it's OK for people to think you're soft...especially when you're not missing games. Is Graham as good as Gronk? It's debatable because they play differently. Is Graham more reliable than Gronk? Yes, no question about that. Graham does miss games

BigMeach

Reaction score
I went and got the 7 day free trial of Game Rewind so I could go back and watch the all 22 and focus on Graham. Seems to me from what I've watched so far that he can block they just don't have him do it very much. I'm sure with a little bit of coaching he'll be fine, he's a strong dude whether you think he's "soft" or not.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tical21":3qe4lh50 said:
He can't block nor does he have any desire to do so. Still will be a better blocker than Luke Willson.

Thank you .net extrapolator and mind reader. :lol: By all accounts JG is a fast learner. If specifically assigned blocking duties and told to improve that part of his game, my bet is with Jimmy.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
He's in a new system, new coach, new team mates and a whole different mind set about winning, a mind set that can actually see the Lombardi and if he has to block, I bet he's all for it.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Tical21":26gqey23 said:

However, I did love the crack he got on Clay Matthews in week 1; Clay wasn't even looking.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If guys like Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin, and Paul Richardson can be solid downfield blockers in our system then a 6'7, 265 TE can learn to do the same.

Are the Seahawks going to ask him consistently go toe to toe with DEs and monster LBs. Probably not.

But the guy can probably win most match-ups against 90% of the DBs/smaller LBs in this league.

How about we leave the judgements until this season and see if he can improve that part of his game in a system where its important.

Tical21

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2gs74h2s said:
Tical21":2gs74h2s said:

Thank you .net extrapolator and mind reader. :lol: By all accounts JG is a fast learner. If specifically assigned blocking duties and told to improve that part of his game, my bet is with Jimmy.
I will add that it in no way lessens my opinion of the trade. When he hears a passing play is coming, and he is in the route, he gets excited. When he hears he has to block, he doesn't. This has been apparent in his play over a fairly long sample set. It isn't like he is alone in this thinking. He's a finesse style TE. It isn't like this is some earth shattering revelation.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Have a look at the vine on Graham's twitter page and tell me he's soft. A text book stiff arm for a 1st down.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This isn't about blocking downfield. If he can't do that at his size he would be softer than 4 ply. Pete is talking about inline, which means Graham would be expected to stop edge rushers beside a tackle. At various times Seattle will ask a TE to be part of a line slide, or a bootleg, and the TE will have one on one responsibilities vs a guy like Aldon Smith or Long. Willson could not do it, one slap and they were by him, and Graham is not going to slow them down either. In the few instances you find Jimmy on an edge rusher it is pretty ugly. Him knocking a 190 lb db on his ass 10 yards from the LOS says zero about his ability to block Aldon Smith on a line slide.

It is the Lying Season before the draft. Right now Bailey is skinny, Center is taken care of by Lewis, we have enough good receivers, and Jimmy Graham will be just fine blocking anyone who gets in his way if lined up off the tackles.

The fact that the only TE we have right now who can block is the fragile McCoy or the not really a TE Gilliam means it is a big position of need. Using Jimmy to do that regularly would be a stupid waste of resources. You might as well tell the DC "Hey, that guy you fear you might have to double? Tie him up this play with your lesser edge rusher! Let us know what else we can do to help!"