So when does Unger get his physical? (update: he got it)

chris98251

Reaction score
Maybe the nurse is asking him to turn his head and cough a lot :)

Basis4day

Reaction score
Softy tweeted Monday. Not like there is a huge rush. Not like there is a game Sunday.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Concerned about his physical just because. Pretty sure Max will pass with no problem though, unless he has been participating in extreme sports the last month. I want this deal sealed!

drdiags

Reaction score
John Schneider said Unger had a week to take the physical based on the trade details. So Tuesday would be the last day for him to take the physical. I also heard like the others that it was expected that Monday he will be taking his physical.

Depends on how meticulous the Saints doctors are. If they have sellers remorse this could be like the Giants/Raiders last year.Not like Unger has been a pillar of health during his time here.

Hyak

Reaction score
I think it was reported to be taking place tomorrow.

On a side note, Graham was due a roster bonus of $ 5 M on the 3rd day of the league year (which was 3/12). Does anyone know if it got paid and if so by whom? Logically, the team with his rights would pay it and the trade is not official yet.

Now I would think that it's easy enough to modify the date or do some accounting debits/credits to avoid an issue like this but I am curious about the mechanics of it.

Utah_hawk

Reaction score
Call me a newb to free agency and trades, but what exactly happens if Unger doesn't pass his physical?

Hyak

Reaction score
Utah_hawk":1n6vdv5r said:
Call me a newb to free agency and trades, but what exactly happens if Unger doesn't pass his physical?

They can either void the trade or revise the compensation.

chihawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":32xq1a0v said:
Softy tweeted Monday. Not like there is a huge rush. Not like there is a game Sunday.

I highly doubt the trade would get reversed, but it could happen (Saints gets remorse and fails his physical). If there is any chance of a trade not going through because of the physical it becomes important that the physical takes place quickly. I think the teams approach to Free Agency would be very different if this trade was to be reversed. For example, the next backup plan could have been Jordan Cameron, but he has since this trade was made signed elsewhere.

kpak76

Reaction score
Trade is already in the books according to Clayton. This would be a huge twist if the Aints nixxed the deal based on Ungers physical.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
When the Hawks traded Kenny Easley for Kelly Stouffer *throws salt over shoulder*, a failed physical by Easley did not end the trade. More draft picks ended up trading hands though. I have no idea if the rules that applied then apply now.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I'm not an expert on the latest CBA, but I do not think the results of one player's physical has any bearing on another fully-capable player's status once the trade was logged with the league office.

There would be untold bedlam ensuing with the Graham camp should something go amiss as I think Jimmy doesn't want to play for the Saints anymore.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I have to think the only thing that could derail the trade would be discovery of a degenerative problem in Unger's knees or ankles. Since we've never heard an inkling of that sort of thing, all should be well.

Knock wood. Fingers crossed. Goat sacrificed.

drdiags

Reaction score
A couple trades that got reversed due to failed physicals were a player for picks, so not sure what would happen in a player and pick trade for a player and pick. But I would guess it would be up to the Saints to either rescind the trade or as mentioned about the Easley trade, just rework the details since the well has been poisoned with Graham. Seahawks would probably just cut Unger if he failed the physical is my WAG.

The 9ers trade for Eric Wright was rescinded (maybe club decision?) due to a failed physical

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2...ts-to-TB/e0f3e5da-832a-4ece-ba31-8f6698032a42

The San Francisco 49ers trade for cornerback Eric Wright fell through after the veteran defensive back failed his physical early Monday morning.

"He didn't pass his physical," head coach Jim Harbaugh said, confirming a report from the NFL Network. "He's not with the team,"

Jeff Otah failed his physcial with the Jets and nixed a trade with the Panthers

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/jeff-otah-fails-his-jets-physical-trade-could-be-reversed/
On Wednesday, New York Jets offensive lineman Jeff Otah took a physical after being traded from the Panthers. The problem is that he failed it and only has a week to pass, or else he could be headed back to Carolina.

“But a league source told PFT the trade was contingent on Otah passing his physical with the Jets in the next seven days, or else he goes back to Carolina. The Panthers sent him to the Jets for a conditional seventh-round pick, and then turned around and sent the same to the Raiders for wide receiver Louis Murphy,” reported ProFootballTalk.com.