Wilson and his use of the field

Hawks46

Reaction score
So, in reading a D. Farrar article, I found this snippet from Cosell, the NFL's film guru:

"It's imperative that they get a receiving threat—and ideally, a tight end—because Russell Wilson is an outstanding seam thrower. That might be his best throw," Cosell said. "And this goes back to the Sid Gillman school of thought—the father of the modern passing game—that if you can control the middle of the field in the passing game, it opens up everything else. And now, they have a player that they can use to control the middle of the field. He's a matchup weapon you can line up anywhere."

Now, I don't have All 22 right now, but it was my impression (mostly from reading posts from smarter folks here at .net) that Wilson was lacking in his intermediate throws to the middle of the field, and he throws to both sidelines a lot more. This has been theorized to lack of vision/height issues, or lack of good throwing lanes up the middle. Cosell is saying he's outstanding in this area (yea, I know seams are a bit deeper throw, but not always).

So, a couple questions to you folks that have All 22, and know how to watch it:

Is Graham going to improve his short to intermediate middle of the field throws ? Based on the player I've seen in Graham, I'd say no. He doesn't like to catch the ball in heavy traffic, and shorter middle field throws are usually best suited to someone in motion, not posting up (not saying it's all Graham is capable of).

Or am I mistaken in that Wilson has trouble with the middle of the field ? I've seen Baldwin flashing open in the middle of the field, but he's a small target.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I remember the some of the WR's talking about our emphasis on working the "Red Line" which is the imaginary line running the length of the field 5 yds inside of both sidelines. I think this has to do with Pete's "it's all about he ball" approach in making the safe throw. Those toe tapper side line throws are usually more of a your guy gets it or ball goes out of bounds rather than chance of the overthrow/tip drill over the middle.

I guess what I am saying is I believe that emphasis had a lot to do w/ the play design for the development of a young QB. I would guess/hope/desire that Pete and Bev will start developing more of the inside/middle passing game as RW progresses and grows.

EDIT: Here is an article about Jags copying this Red Line philosify from the Hawks.
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/8/5/5 ... te-carroll

...and another from Danny Kelly
http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... olden-tate

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawks46":2kodxaap said:
So, in reading a D. Farrar article, I found this snippet from Cosell, the NFL's film guru:

"It's imperative that they get a receiving threat—and ideally, a tight end—because Russell Wilson is an outstanding seam thrower. That might be his best throw," Cosell said. "And this goes back to the Sid Gillman school of thought—the father of the modern passing game—that if you can control the middle of the field in the passing game, it opens up everything else. And now, they have a player that they can use to control the middle of the field. He's a matchup weapon you can line up anywhere."

Now, I don't have All 22 right now, but it was my impression (mostly from reading posts from smarter folks here at .net) that Wilson was lacking in his intermediate throws to the middle of the field, and he throws to both sidelines a lot more. This has been theorized to lack of vision/height issues, or lack of good throwing lanes up the middle. Cosell is saying he's outstanding in this area (yea, I know seams are a bit deeper throw, but not always).

Is Graham going to improve his short to intermediate middle of the field throws ? Based on the player I've seen in Graham, I'd say no. He doesn't like to catch the ball in heavy traffic, and shorter middle field throws are usually best suited to someone in motion, not posting up (not saying it's all Graham is capable of).

Or am I mistaken in that Wilson has trouble with the middle of the field ? I've seen Baldwin flashing open in the middle of the field, but he's a small target.
If you watch saints games you'll see Brees throw into double and even triple coverage to the guy. He didn't get the most targets on the team by being the least covered. He's a big target that can win jump balls and box defenders out.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't think it is Russell's forte. He'll hit some quicker seam passes, but not the split the safeties types that Brees has perfected. IMO Graham will be the biggest factor when Russell breaks the pocket and is looking for someone to bail him out.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Russell throws a beautiful seem pass. We just didn't have Zach Miller this year to utilize it. He is absolutely correct in his assessment.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawks46":302knavh said:

Why would you say that when Richardson immediately improved us in that area? Doug can do that too, but he can't be in two places at one time. We need bona fide flankers and splits for that to happen.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tical21":18yo8212 said:
I don't think it is Russell's forte. He'll hit some quicker seam passes, but not the split the safeties types that Brees has perfected. IMO Graham will be the biggest factor when Russell breaks the pocket and is looking for someone to bail him out.

Forte schmorte. Wait until we finally match 'fortes' to all of our receiver positions.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2huom1z3 said:

In agreement, it would be cool to get some kind of graphic on where our guys make their catches. My assumption would be that we don't like to use the middle and it being as a result of Wilson's height and our emphasis on ball safety (not throwing it to guys with defenders close). There were countless occasions where it looked like Doug had plenty of separation over the middle but the ball never came his way. I don't think we're likely to see those 1000 yard seasons from slot receivers with Russ.

I'm looking at Jimmy Graham as being that guy who might put an end to Russ leading the league in throwaways despite attempting the fewest passes, the seam stuff will see a nice boost, but not be a focal point imo.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wilson also has a habit of throwing high once in a while, so a 6'7" receiver that can jump is a great solution to that problem as well. Could see some more completions on those balls that normally sail over a receiver's head.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Seems like Miller was always making great circus catches from Russ in bail out situations... Jimmy is that x 5!